Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2014   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brees, Foles and .... yes, Keenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
A couple of years back, I saw something from a scout that said smaller school QBs have the advantage throwing into smaller windows and having to deal with more pressure since their teammates are not as physically dominate.
Some of them, I agree; but I would think there are others that play on superior teams.

On another note, here's one more article about small school quarterbacks; it's an old one, but still interesting:

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-12-...1_quarterbacks
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #62
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
A couple of years back, I saw something from a scout that said smaller school QBs have the advantage throwing into smaller windows and having to deal with more pressure since their teammates are not as physically dominate.
That's one reason I expected more from Cutler. Playing at Vandy, he wasn't playing with a team that was exactly physically dominant.

But it makes sense. Sometimes the best QB is the guy who was the guy who was having to stretch himself to make up for the deficiencies of his team. Kind of a reverse AJ McCarron.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #63
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm a UH guy. I don't care if Keenum is the QB or not. I care that the TEXANS have a good QB. UH is already working on their next one, so whatever Keenum does or doesn't do is only of concern to me insofar as the Texans are concerned. But I will say this:

Keenum was at the helm for 8 losses (well, 2 of those were only a half, so however you want to consider that, I guess. The Texans average margin of loss in those games was 6.375 points. Schaub was at the helm for 6 losses (plus 2 where he came on in relief and threw a game ending pick and another that should have been). The average margin of loss for those losses was 18.33 points.

Keenum played well enough for the team to win at times, but they didn't. QBs can't do it all, especially young ones. Hell, Alex Smith put up 44 points in the playoffs and lost. C'est la vie.

But whatever happens with Keenum happens. As long as the Texans get a good QB, I don't care. I just happen to think that Keenum could be a QB that develops into something if a team gives him a chance. He was always going to be a developmental project anyway.
Old 01-08-2014   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's one reason I expected more from Cutler. Playing at Vandy, he wasn't playing with a team that was exactly physically dominant.
Or Yates at UNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
But it makes sense. Sometimes the best QB is the guy who was the guy who was having to stretch himself to make up for the deficiencies of his team. Kind of a reverse AJ McCarron.
I'm checking out McCarron now. He doesn't look too bad to me. Sure, he's got talent on his team... so do we. & while Bridgewater may not have a lot of talent around him, his recievers did a heck of a job, with some insane catches, & mad YAC.
Old 01-08-2014   #65
Rockville
Load Up

In my opinion, with the new HC, Keenum will be on the outside looking in. Like it or not, Keenum is a Kubiak guy, just like the other QBs currently on the roster. Unless there is already a stud QB on the roster (of course we know there isn't), a new HC will want to get his guy on the field. Whether he gets him through the draft, free agency, or a trade (more than likely a combination of these), he'll want him on the field as soon as he can get him ready. He has something to prove now, which is winning football games, and not a year or two from now, given the owner seems to believe the team is loaded and ready.

If a recent frame of reference is needed, look no further than Harbaugh in SF. Alex Smith was a play or two away from the SB in 2011. He started 2012 well, got hurt, and never saw the field again. Why? Harbaugh couldn't wait to get his guy on the field.

It's true the team played bad while Keenum was starting. But there is enough game film on his QB play for the new HC to know he'd have to invest a lot of time and work to develop. Time and work he'll invest in his own draft pick more than likely.

But at the end of the day, who knows. It'll definitely be interesting to see how things play out moving forward.
Rockville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #66
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

The moment I saw this I knew I had to post it somewhere here, but I don't want to open a Schaub thread just for this video.

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT52hREAf18
Old 01-09-2014   #67
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
The moment I saw this I knew I had to post it somewhere here, but I don't want to open a Schaub thread just for this video.

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT52hREAf18
How well can Jeremy Lin throw a football? Is he open to wearing #6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #68
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

i'll trust our new coach who's going to be play qb. nobody on here knows better at evaluating a qb. with that, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided in the end to develop and stick with keenum while they draft for defense and o line with another young later round qb. nobody knows at this point.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #69
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
When has Belichek been picking at 1:1?

Talent differential at 1:1 would be much greater than at 1:28 or whatever the Patriots normally pick at.
I've seen Belichick trade completely out of the first round. If he thought he could swindle... errr... trade that 1-1 pick for more picks He would.

Let me ask you this:
Don't you think Belichick could trade back to saaay 8-12 (just to pick a number) from 1-1 and still get the guy he wanted that fit his scheme? I do.

As you said yourself, the Pats are used to mining talent (that perpetually keeps them in the playoff hunt) waaaaay late in the first round; usually back at #26 to 30-something. Getting a pick at 8-12 would absolutely be ice cream and cake to Belichick. And that's not counting the extra picks he swindled ....errr negotiated for during the trade.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read