Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2014   #41
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brees, Foles and .... yes, Keenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Reading some of the posts in this thread, you'd think that Texas was the one to legalize ganja on January 1.

I'm starting to wonder who is worse...the Keenum homers or the VY homers...and the VY homers have come out of the woodwork again, saying the Texans should sign him.

What world are these people living in?
Just wait until Keenum throws a touchdown for another team in 2015, then they will really unleash the cougar fury!

Keenum was just a tease, not much more...
Old 01-07-2014   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
While you can pull an example or two history would say that odds certainly arent in his favor. Keenum's best chance at becoming a legit starter in this league was to perform well in his 7-8 games and post a win or a few of them despite what was happening around him.
All of your points in this particular post are valid.

But then again, Keenum's odd has always been long.
The same goes for all the UDFAs and low round draft picks before and after him.
It's not anything new.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm not sure your point is valid all the time.
I'm sure you've heard of Kurt Warner.
He even got cut by the team that took him as an UDFA.
He then spent 4 years in the Arena League before given a chance to be a third stringer.

JFYI, Roberson got a call-up to the 53-man roster in Dec.

That doesn't necessarily mean either he or Keenum will ever start in the future.
It simply means that both need to show that they improve year over year to get a shot, and that is not a guarantee.
Kurt Warner is an obvious exception to a very long and established rule of history in the NFL.

You can name one example, and with that example we could come up with a list of thousands that were great in college but could not survive in the NFL.

The ratio would be like 1:10,000

Those are not favorable odds.

I'm not saying Keenum cannot or will not, but rather I'm just using NFL history as a guide to form an objective, non-emotional, unbiased perspective. I do not flavor my opinion with UH homerism or hometown hero stories, but rather look big picture and go from there.

Your point seems like we should just try to find a starting QB in the 6th round since that's where the Patriots found Tom Brady.

But, both the examples of Kurt Warner and Tom Brady share one thing in common: when they got their chances they made the most of it and proved why they were starting caliber QBs.

We have film on Keenum that does not seem to reveal the same career arch. We can assign blame to wherever to support Keenum and deflect blame, but in the end, I do not see any teams using that same mentality to sign him up.
Old 01-07-2014   #44
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Just wait until Keenum throws a touchdown for another team in 2015, then they will really unleash the cougar fury!

Keenum was just a tease, not much more...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #45
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Kurt Warner is an obvious exception to a very long and established rule of history in the NFL.

You can name one example, and with that example we could come up with a list of thousands that were great in college but could not survive in the NFL.

The ratio would be like 1:10,000

Those are not favorable odds.

I'm not saying Keenum cannot or will not, but rather I'm just using NFL history as a guide to form an objective, non-emotional, unbiased perspective. I do not flavor my opinion with UH homerism or hometown hero stories, but rather look big picture and go from there.

Your point seems like we should just try to find a starting QB in the 6th round since that's where the Patriots found Tom Brady.

But, both the examples of Kurt Warner and Tom Brady share one thing in common: when they got their chances they made the most of it and proved why they were starting caliber QBs.

We have film on Keenum that does not seem to reveal the same career arch. We can assign blame to wherever to support Keenum and deflect blame, but in the end, I do not see any teams using that same mentality to sign him up.
Don't forget about that 4th grader in Kentucky. He can sling it ya know?

Old 01-07-2014   #46
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Sorry, here you go:

Old 01-07-2014   #47
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Sorry, here you go:

How'd I know something like this would follow.

Old 01-07-2014   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

DB, if you wait, I can find many more examples.

I actually did. It was sprinkled in many of my posts.
Old 01-07-2014   #49
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DB, if you wait, I can find many more examples.

I actually did. It was sprinkled in many of my posts.
I'm not arguing against UFDA's in the NFL. There are examples of great players that did not get drafted, and that's pretty easy to investigate.

But, for every successful UDFA, we can surely name many, many others that never panned out.

And yeah, I'm aware of Roberson getting called up in December. But, he's marginal, at best, and will be lucky to be invited to camp according to what I've been told. He is experiencing difficulty in learning an NFL playbook.

As far as Keenum, I hope they try to work with him to see if he can offer anything to the team, at least as a backup.

But surely you're not trying to debate that he's worth the starting job at this point.
Old 01-07-2014   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

First of all, saying that my point is to draft a QB in the sixth round is pure non-sense.

My point is that unless there's a bona fide franchise QB, you really need to make sure to use the number one overall pick to its best value; or even in certain case, the number two overall pick (in those rare years when there's one or two bona fide franchise QBs.)

History has shown that teams can and did fall in love with a prospect QB at number one overall, only to see them become a bust.
Old 01-07-2014   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not arguing against UFDA's in the NFL. There are examples of great players that did not get drafted, and that's pretty easy to investigate.

But, for every successful UDFA, we can surely name many, many others that never panned out.

And yeah, I'm aware of Roberson getting called up in December. But, he's marginal, at best, and will be lucky to be invited to camp according to what I've been told. He is experiencing difficulty in learning an NFL playbook.

As far as Keenum, I hope they try to work with him to see if he can offer anything to the team, at least as a backup.

But surely you're not trying to debate that he's worth the starting job at this point.
Your point is well-taken.
For those who don't know, DB is one of the posters whose opinions I value highly.

At no point will I offer that Keenum is worth the starting role at this moment.
Not even last year, when my only proposal was that he deserved a look to see if he's starter material.

Even if he's only an average QB, or a marginal average QB (16th-20th), it could help to have him while we build other positions.

Now if there's a Luck or RGiii type of QB in this draft, you will find me on board drafting them with the number one overall pick.
Or Cam Newton (whom I "declared" as worthy of the overall number one pick.)

Each of them had a few small flaws, but I never disagreed that they were worth the position where they got drafted.
Old 01-07-2014   #52
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Your point is well-taken.
For those who don't know, DB is one of the posters whose opinions I value highly.

At no point will I offer that Keenum is worth the starting role at this moment.
Not even last year, when my only proposal was that he deserved a look to see if he's starter material.

Even if he's only an average QB, or a marginal average QB (16th-20th), it could help to have him while we build other positions.

Now if there's a Luck or RGiii type of QB in this draft, you will find me on board drafting them with the number one overall pick.
Or Cam Newton (whom I "declared" as worthy of the overall number one pick.)

Each of them had a few small flaws, but I never disagreed that they were worth the position where they got drafted.
Good points, man (and thanks for the props ).

I would not have a problem if they leveraged the no. 1 overall pick to do more things for the roster than select some unproven college QB that will have the weight of the franchise on his shoulders. Picking a QB that high means the fans will demand an immediate start. Regardless if the FO listens to demands or not (and I assume they do not), it's a distraction that this team will not need next season.

If they brought in a journeyman QB this year, or drafted someone in the 2nd or 3rd, and then worked with Keenum in the meantime, I would not have a problem with this strategy. Keenum showed enough that you could make the case that he could improve, and like you said, it's not unprecedented.

And also like you mentioned, there is no clear cut no. 1 overall QB pick in this draft. I'm a fan of so-called "drafting ugly", building the offensive and defensive lines to win the battle of the trenches. For me, that type of solid foundation building pays dividends down the road as these guys mature and become a cohesive unit with the veterans.
Old 01-07-2014   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Next, when DB limited the criteria to great QBs in college, he further narrows down the list to a bare minimum.

My point was never that.

My point is that, yes, there are reasons why some players, in this case QBs (but not exclusively), were not selected high or went undrafted.

You, as a GM, or a high-level coach, or a head of the scouting department, should never leave any stone unturned.

I had mentioned this before, and I figure I mention it again.
Your team may be limited in cap space, but if there's no rule regarding scouting, why don't you spend more resources on this aspect of the draft?

The days ahead of last year draft for example, I mentioned in the draft forum that as individuals, it's hard to gauge the situation of a guy like Keenan Allen.
I had him in the first round, ahead of many first rounders.
But I can't tell whether his injury is going to be significant, since I don't have the resources that the teams do.

The guy just has a knack to get open, a combination of understanding how the offense is trying to attack the defense and how the defense might react to it.

The same thing goes with the receiver from Wisconsin, who's coming out this year.
He was a walk-on who saw passes from four different QBs.
He's just a smart guy who knows how to get open; I've said that in his Jr year.

Don't forget Swope, from a&M; but I was against him due to the concussions he suffered (and another guy from Stanford, whom Luck led into hard hits unecessarily).

There are a lot of football to watch, and never enough time of the day.

I wish our GM, HC, and owner would spend resources on scouting.
(PI also need to be included - by that, I mean private investigator.)
Old 01-07-2014   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I would not have a problem if they leveraged the no. 1 overall pick to do more things for the roster than select some unproven college QB that will have the weight of the franchise on his shoulders. Picking a QB that high means the fans will demand an immediate start. Regardless if the FO listens to demands or not (and I assume they do not), it's a distraction that this team will not need next season.

If they brought in a journeyman QB this year, or drafted someone in the 2nd or 3rd, and then worked with Keenum in the meantime, I would not have a problem with this strategy. Keenum showed enough that you could make the case that he could improve, and like you said, it's not unprecedented.

And also like you mentioned, there is no clear cut no. 1 overall QB pick in this draft. I'm a fan of so-called "drafting ugly", building the offensive and defensive lines to win the battle of the trenches. For me, that type of solid foundation building pays dividends down the road as these guys mature and become a cohesive unit with the veterans.
This is just another level-headed post that I grew accustomed to with DB.
There are others, and I think we're growing little by little.

Healthy debates on football, whether we disagree on certain thing(s), here Nd there.
Old 01-07-2014   #55
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agree with all your points. Especially the one about parlaying that #1 pick into more picks. If O'Brien is really a "Patriot-way" true believer, this is what he'll do. Seems like that's what Belichick has done in past drafts.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #56
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Agree with all your points. Especially the one about parlaying that #1 pick into more picks. If O'Brien is really a "Patriot-way" true believer, this is what he'll do. Seems like that's what Belichick has done in past drafts.
When has Belichek been picking at 1:1?

Talent differential at 1:1 would be much greater than at 1:28 or whatever the Patriots normally pick at.
Old 01-08-2014   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Phil Simms came from little Morehead St.
Does anybody even know of that school?
Old 01-08-2014   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Kaepernick came from Nevada Reno.
Flacco, Rich Gannon, Scott Bruner all came from Delaware.
Ben Roethlinsger came from Miami, Ohio.
Byron Leftwich, and Chad Pennington , Marshall
Culpepper, UCF
Steve McNair, Alcorn St
Trent Differ, Freso St
Gus Frerotte, Tulsa
Jeff Blake, David Garrard, E. Carolina
Stan Humphries, Bubby Brister, Louisiana Monroe
Randall Cunningham, UNLV
Ken O'Brien, Cal - Davis
Neil Lomax, Portland
Wade Wilson, Texas A&M Commerce
Eric Hipple, Utah State
Gary Hogeboom, Central Michigan

How many of those schools does an average NFL know of?

And I mean, Baylor. How many people outside of Texas know about it until RGIII?
Even people inside Texas?
Old 01-08-2014   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/41220138

Small-school QBs in the NFL.
Old 01-08-2014   #60
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A couple of years back, I saw something from a scout that said smaller school QBs have the advantage throwing into smaller windows and having to deal with more pressure since their teammates are not as physically dominate.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read