Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2014   #201
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Might give some insight here (apparently also friends):

O’Brien on Penn State’s defensive woes: Don’t mess with John Butler
Got some Kubiak-ish blame taking in that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Brien
If anybody should take heat, it’s Bill O’Brien, not John Butler.

“Well, (that) falls upon me. I call the plays,” O’Brien said. “And certainly, you go into a game like that and you’re playing an offense … that scores a lot of points, you’ve got to score points. So I look in the mirror.

“Certainly, some of the players could have played better … But that starts with me, and the whole game starts with me as the head football coach. Nobody understands that better than me.”
Old 01-06-2014   #202
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Might give some insight here (apparently also friends):

O’Brien on Penn State’s defensive woes: Don’t mess with John Butler
I got "It's on me". But then all HCs say that, eh?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #203
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Got some Kubiak-ish blame taking in that....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I got "It's on me". But then all HCs say that, eh?
But we hated it when Kubiak did it....

I just Butler doesn't end up being the DC; wasn't all that great at that job at PSU.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #204
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Seems you fall subject to some of the description you'd make of the other fans you mention. Yeah you and your family hating other teams is pathetic. Enjoying a rivalry? All good. Really hating other teams? Pathetic. News flash teams do compete but you and your family don't you just watch
I hope I can find it within myself one day to give even the slightest of ****s about what you think I should feel when I watch sports.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #205
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79827 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Well I'm sad.
There are always those who want change so badly that they throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #206
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79827 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I hope I can find it within myself one day to give even the slightest of ****s about what you think I should feel when I watch sports.
Competition is one thing, but HATE is poisonous to you. It's not a criticism, but concern.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #207
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't ask you to give a **** about what I thought. Maybe one day you will grow up and realize that the hate is wasted time and energy
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #208
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the Utah Jazz and their fans with every fiber in me. That hatred keeps me warm at night.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #209
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I hate the Utah Jazz and their fans with every fiber in me. That hatred keeps me warm at night.
Me too.

Feel the same way about the Titans, and the Colts are slowly reaching that status. The Luck-Hilton-Pagano Colts are so much more unlikable than the Manning-Wayne-Dungy Colts.

Regarding O'Brien, and maybe this has been addressed, I have heard some speculation (almost a foregone assumption) that, like Kubiak, O'Brien will be calling the plays. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was an OC for one year. That's hardly Kubiak pedigree OC. Has it been explicitly stated anywhere that O'Brien will be calling the plays? Did he call the (offensive) plays at Penn State?
Old 01-07-2014   #210
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
There are always those who want change so badly that they throw the baby out with the bathwater.
2-14

I'd say the baby crapped in the bathwater and it needed to be thrown out after the 6-10 2010 season. 8 yrs, started with a 2-14 ended with a 2-14, is that a nice round circle?

Do you think the Texans would've ever won a SB under Gary? The decision to keep Gary back in 2010 set the franchise back atleast 5-7 yrs, if winning a SB is the goal. Agree or disagree?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #211
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Me too.

Feel the same way about the Titans, and the Colts are slowly reaching that status. The Luck-Hilton-Pagano Colts are so much more unlikable than the Manning-Wayne-Dungy Colts.

Regarding O'Brien, and maybe this has been addressed, I have heard some speculation (almost a foregone assumption) that, like Kubiak, O'Brien will be calling the plays. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was an OC for one year. That's hardly Kubiak pedigree OC. Has it been explicitly stated anywhere that O'Brien will be calling the plays? Did he call the (offensive) plays at Penn State?
It's kind of hard to hate Luck though. He's just a goony bastard that just looks like he's having fun playing football. Sucks for us that it appears he's pretty damn good and sharp in the brain too (like Peyton. Damnit).

Not sure about the playcalling stuff for O'Brien and whether he did it at Penn State but I think he did (There was an article posted earlier in this thread and I think he was quoted saying he was calling the plays). He did call plays in NE's 2011 year, so there's that but if he wants to do it then I say let him do it till he proves he's incapable.
Old 01-07-2014   #212
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Me too.

People generally dislike division foes or confrence foes that are consistently better than their favorite team. Jealousy unfortunately is human nature for most.
Old 01-07-2014   #213
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I didn't ask you to give a **** about what I thought. Maybe one day you will grow up and realize that the hate is wasted time and energy
I wouldn't count on this happening.
Old 01-07-2014   #214
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
People generally dislike division foes or confrence foes that are consistently better than their favorite team. Jealousy unfortunately is human nature for most.
I was jealous of the Manning Colts and I never disliked them, and neither the Jazz nor the Titans have been better than the Rockets or Texans respectively.

Those emotions are separate for me. Thanks for the free psychoanalysis, though. It was worth every penny I paid for it.
Old 01-07-2014   #215
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Me too.

O'Brien started calling plays for the Patriots when McDaniels went to Denver. That means he called plays there for 4 seasons. It's pretty easy to do a google search and find criticism and defense of his play calling at PSU. And prior to joining the Patriots, he'd spent 4 seasons as a college OC (2 with Ga. Tech, and 2 with Duke), so I while I can't say defintively he called plays at either place, but since both teams had HC's with a defensive background, I'd guess there's a pretty good chance he did.
Old 01-07-2014   #216
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Me too.

I remember the first time I noticed O'Brien during 2011, way before the Brady incident. And I remember thinking that this was a hot coaching prospect. His play callng was inventive and fresh, he was playing chess with the opposing DC.

I like the idea of him calling the plays.
Old 01-07-2014   #217
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I just Butler doesn't end up being the DC; wasn't all that great at that job at PSU.
He'll be either secondary or cornerbacks coach.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #218
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I never hated the Manning Colts. I kind of admired them. My dislike of the Colts is more directed at the franchise and their dumbas$ owner. If any of you follow him on twitter, you know that he's at the very least a weird dude. He lucked into being born to his rich parents and now he lucked into two franchise QB's back to back. That's why I hate the Colts. Andrew Luck is actually fairly likable OTOH.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #219
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep. I don't hate the Colts because they and their fans don't exhibit the qualities that I hate in teams I hate. I have an admiration for them and want them to DE-STROY New England on Saturday night. I do hate Luck's propensity for flopping to get flags though. He should cut that out.

Hatred is not solely predicated on success or jealousy. There are plenty of reasons to hate someone, something, or some organization. If it was only based on success or jealousy, I wouldn't hate the Raiders, Jets, Cowboys, Chargers, Titans, Jaguars, Jazz, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Flyers, Ducks, Maple Leafs, Senators, and a whole host of other teams.

One of the things I hate the MOST is when people try to assign THEIR reasons for MY feelings on something.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #220
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. I don't hate the Colts because they and their fans don't exhibit the qualities that I hate in teams I hate. I have an admiration for them and want them to DE-STROY New England on Saturday night. I do hate Luck's propensity for flopping to get flags though. He should cut that out.

Hatred is not solely predicated on success or jealousy. There are plenty of reasons to hate someone, something, or some organization. If it was only based on success or jealousy, I wouldn't hate the Raiders, Jets, Cowboys, Chargers, Titans, Jaguars, Jazz, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Flyers, Ducks, Maple Leafs, Senators, and a whole host of other teams.

One of the things I hate the MOST is when people try to assign THEIR reasons for MY feelings on something.

Do you have a legit reason for hating 15+ sports teams or is it simply they just arent the team you root for? Im sure they never banged your mother or sister, cost you a job, screwed you out of money, killed someone you loved etc. Seems like overzealous fandom
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read