Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-05-2014   #21
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17648 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What got into Alex Smith?

Umm, Alex lost.

Luck is the real deal ... don't sleep on Indy.
kingtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #22
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Umm, Alex lost.

Luck is the real deal ... don't sleep on Indy.
No the chiefs lost. Alex put up 44 points. The chiefs defense looked like turnstiles out their. Go ahead and crown luck if you want. They'll be done next week.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
No the chiefs lost. Alex put up 44 points. The chiefs defense looked like turnstiles out their. Go ahead and crown luck if you want. They'll be done next week.
I don't like Luck.

But that kid gets it.
Old 01-06-2014   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

My son's buddy kept asking me why I continued to watch the game when it was 38-10.

He said I was too hardcore of a football fan to keep watching, but I just told him one thing: Andrew Luck.

This kid is the real deal. Regardless of how he starts, he is all about finishing strong, and he did it again. If only the Chiefs were up by 34 points to have the Colts come back...man, could have at least made that other comeback no. 2 in history.

I feel for Chiefs fans, though, knowing exactly how it feels to see your great team blow a huge lead in the playoffs. Alex Smith played fantastic, but he does not have the Captain Comeback in him. He's a sort of Trent Dilfer type of QB who needs a defense than can protect a friggin' 28 point lead.

Alex Smith is sort of an underdog QB, and I've been hoping he'd prove his critics wrong. I think this season proved that he can be a viable NFL QB. Unfortunately for him, he's in the same division as Peyton Manning. We know how that feels.
Old 01-06-2014   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
My son's buddy kept asking me why I continued to watch the game when it was 38-10.

He said I was too hardcore of a football fan to keep watching, but I just told him one thing: Andrew Luck.

This kid is the real deal.
They came out from half time & laid an egg. KC went down the field & scored again. I gave the Colts one more drive before I was going to turn it off.

& the rest is history.

That was the first game ever that I saw what everyone else has been saying.
Old 01-06-2014   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They came out from half time & laid an egg. KC went down the field & scored again. I gave the Colts one more drive before I was going to turn it off.

& the rest is history.

That was the first game ever that I saw what everyone else has been saying.
If that had been Houston team down by 28 in a playoff game, I might have found something better to do at that point.

But, I kept watching, just wondering what Andrew Luck was about. It's the same feeling in my gut when Brady was down to the Broncos earlier this season. I just wanted to see how the team responded, and sure enough, Brady does what Brady does, just like Luck did what he did.

I hate that Luck is in our division for the next decade. Makes me hate the Colts like I used to hate the Titans and Cowboys. hate hate hate
Old 01-06-2014   #27
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12640 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

The touchdown he made while diving in the endzone made me hate the Colts more out of pure jealousy. Most quarterbacks in those instances would have just jumped on the ball, but he took it and made his own destiny.

I kept wondering why we couldn't get the hometown qb.
santo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #28
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Sad really. The Chiefs defense destroyed a very nice outing by Smith. Admittedly, I was quite surprised. Props to Alex

I think their defense was vastly overrated this season (by me too). A soft schedule helped too, considering only one of their wins was a playoff team and all of their losses were by playoff teams.

But, a very nice season considering where they were last year.
Old 01-06-2014   #29
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
The touchdown he made while diving in the endzone made me hate the Colts more out of pure jealousy. Most quarterbacks in those instances would have just jumped on the ball, but he took it and made his own destiny.

I kept wondering why we couldn't get the hometown qb.
Makes me sad. We sucked a year too late. The guy plays like **** for two and a half quarters and then a HOF qb for the rest. This guy has double digit comeback win after comeback win during the regular season and now he has a signature one in the playoffs in just his second year.

The Texans better not mess up this QB pick. And they won't if they pick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Sad really. The Chiefs defense destroyed a very nice outing by Smith. Admittedly, I was quite surprised. Props to Alex

I think their defense was vastly overrated this season (by me too). A soft schedule helped too, considering only one of their wins was a playoff team and all of their losses were by playoff teams.

But, a very nice season considering where they were last year.
To be fair though, the Chiefs were losing players left and right. Still a big ass lead to lose.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #30
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Reid did a fine job game-planning, calling plays and Alex has upped his taking shots downfield. Nice job, tough loss.

Not really. The slant to bowe was a 8 yd route turned to 60 on catch and run. The 3rd and 10 to avery, landry got flat and toler let a speed guy loose. Avery was open by 5 yds. If you watch the chiefs, its a low risk offense like the texans. They just have a more dynamic players with speed in mccluster,charles,and avery. Those shallow crossing routes,bubble screens,and rb screens are easy plays for the qb. Smith can't really be blamed for the loss except only getting 6 pts in the 2nd half despite the indy to. As I said too,that defense was overrated. They gave up an avg of 30ppg vs manning,rivers,and luck. Yeah, they can beat the keenums and the pryors,but that's it.
Old 01-06-2014   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
If that had been Houston team down by 28 in a playoff game, I might have found something better to do at that point.

But, I kept watching, just wondering what Andrew Luck was about. It's the same feeling in my gut when Brady was down to the Broncos earlier this season. I just wanted to see how the team responded, and sure enough, Brady does what Brady does, just like Luck did what he did.

I hate that Luck is in our division for the next decade. Makes me hate the Colts like I used to hate the Titans and Cowboys. hate hate hate
I was half-assed joking in the game thread, & no doubt Luck did what he needed to do to win & then some, but so did Donald Brown, & so did that defense. Luck could have had the exact same game, had his defense not stepped it up, Andrew Luck wouldn't have done enough.
Old 01-06-2014   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Makes me sad. We sucked a year too late.
Yeah... if we'd have sucked last year, we could have drafted Geno Smith.

The trick is do like the Jets, not screw around & take a guy too early because you have a need. Work the system, maximize your picks.
Old 01-06-2014   #33
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This kid is the real deal. Regardless of how he starts, he is all about finishing strong, and he did it again. If only the Chiefs were up by 34 points to have the Colts come back...man, could have at least made that other comeback no. 2 in history.

I feel for Chiefs fans, though, knowing exactly how it feels to see your great team blow a huge lead in the playoffs. Alex Smith played fantastic, but he does not have the Captain Comeback in him. He's a sort of Trent Dilfer type of QB who needs a defense than can protect a friggin' 28 point lead.

Alex Smith is sort of an underdog QB, and I've been hoping he'd prove his critics wrong. I think this season proved that he can be a viable NFL QB. Unfortunately for him, he's in the same division as Peyton Manning. We know how that feels.
To go with that, I wonder how different this game would have been had both Jamaal Charles & Knile Davis not gotten injured. The Chiefs had no running game to milk the clock.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #34
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

I have always thought Alex Smith has gotten the raw end of the stick in his career. 8 years in SF and had like 3 different HC, numerous OC and a horrible O-line. He got the David Carr treatment for a while.

Harbaugh comes in, known as a QB coach, and turns Smith around. Smith gets SF to the NFC Championship and lost. Started of pretty well for SF last year, got hurt and the rest is history.

glad to see him get a shot under Reid.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was half-assed joking in the game thread, & no doubt Luck did what he needed to do to win & then some, but so did Donald Brown, & so did that defense. Luck could have had the exact same game, had his defense not stepped it up, Andrew Luck wouldn't have done enough.
True, but defenses get confidence when they know they have a clutch QB that never quits.

Same could be said about plenty of clutch QBs. Those guys don't play defense. But when a defense knows that they have to make a stop to give their QB a chance, it gives them an intangible boost that is hard to measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
To go with that, I wonder how different this game would have been had both Jamaal Charles & Knile Davis not gotten injured. The Chiefs had no running game to milk the clock.
I think the Chiefs would have won if they had Charles and Davis to control the clock. I was a bit surprised by how well the team played when Charles went down so early in the game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read