Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2014   #41
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Discount Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
The fact that you would even consider Schaub still being on this team in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.
Sanctimonious judgement looks like fun. Let's give it a try...

The fact that you would even consider throwing ice at Schaub and cheering his injuries in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.

Yep, that was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
He hasn't done squat since he flopped on Dexter McCluster of the Chiefs causing a fumble in the 2010 Playoffs....

Buyer beware....
Hasn't Cody always had conditioning issues too? I remember that was the reason he had to be rotated out.

Oher will probably get offers from other teams for LT, but it would be humorously ironic if he ended up at RT considering that movie title.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #42
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The fact that you would even consider Schaub still being on this team in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.

The mention of Schaub in that post was supposed to underscore and emphasize exactly how bad I don't want Michael Vick near the Texans. Bad enough that if I had a choice between signing Vick or keeping Schaub another year I'd rather keep Schaub.

I don't want to keep Schaub.
Old 01-05-2014   #43
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The mention of Schaub in that post was supposed to underscore and emphasize exactly how bad I don't want Michael Vick near the Texans. Bad enough that if I had a choice between signing Vick or keeping Schaub another year I'd rather keep Schaub.

I don't want to keep Schaub.
I would take Vick a million times over, and be forced to start him for the next 5 years, before I would even let Matt Schaub have entry into Reliant Stadium. Just sayin ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #44
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Free Agents I would like to see us look at.

Toby Gerhart....Badboy what do you think?
Donald Brown. I would love him.

Julian Edelman... Perfect fit..
Golden Tate..probrbly going to cost too much.
Tedd Ginn. Speed for the outside and a returner.
Dexter McCluster another good fit...

OT
Oher
Winston temporary fix..

OG
Jon Asamoah
Geoff Swartz

DT
Randy Starks
Jason Hatcher
Ziggy Hood

ILB

Brandon Spikes
Old 01-06-2014   #45
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

These are the guys that I would be looking at who will not cost a ton of money to sign.

OT-Michael Oher, Eric Winston, Rodger Saffold. There are several other free agents but I think that they will be re-signed. The more I look at the available free agents the more I think we will be drafting a T.

DE - Arthur Jones and Lamarr Houston. These guys could very well be available and I could see us signing one of these guys.

NT - Linval Joseph and Paul Soliai. I could see us spending some money on Joseph and getting a player capable of playing NT on our roster. We could also sign Soliai but I think it is more probable he will be resigned. He would allow us to draft and groom a NT.

OLB-Orakpo & Jason Worilds. I think that Orakpo is going to get a very big contract. I see Worilds as a more realist option.

CB - Chris Harris & Walter Thurmond. Both these guys are quality players who will most likely be available due to the cap situation of the teams they play for.

ILB-Vincent Rey. He is stuck behind Rey Maualuga and would provide an upgrade over Sharpton.

S-Major Wright. There are several studs but they are not going anywhere. I put down Major Wright even though I expect him to re-sign. Not looking to good for the Texans if they are thinking about landing a FS in FA.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #46
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
These are the guys that I would be looking at who will not cost a ton of money to sign.

OT-Michael Oher, Eric Winston, Rodger Saffold. There are several other free agents but I think that they will be re-signed. The more I look at the available free agents the more I think we will be drafting a T.

DE - Arthur Jones and Lamarr Houston. These guys could very well be available and I could see us signing one of these guys.

NT - Linval Joseph and Paul Soliai. I could see us spending some money on Joseph and getting a player capable of playing NT on our roster. We could also sign Soliai but I think it is more probable he will be resigned. He would allow us to draft and groom a NT.

OLB-Orakpo & Jason Worilds. I think that Orakpo is going to get a very big contract. I see Worilds as a more realist option.

CB - Chris Harris & Walter Thurmond. Both these guys are quality players who will most likely be available due to the cap situation of the teams they play for.

ILB-Vincent Rey. He is stuck behind Rey Maualuga and would provide an upgrade over Sharpton.

S-Major Wright. There are several studs but they are not going anywhere. I put down Major Wright even though I expect him to re-sign. Not looking to good for the Texans if they are thinking about landing a FS in FA.
Good list. I've always wondered how Kiwinuecka would fare as a 3-4 olb. I'm not sure he's a free agent though.
Old 01-06-2014   #47
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't want anything to do with oher. his on the decline and will get a bigger contract than he deserves due to his hollywood fame.
that being said anything is better the Newton
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #48
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Linval Joseph fits the profile of a nt. I never knew why the g-men drafted him. 4yrs 12m, 6m. 6m guarantee sounds right.
Old 01-06-2014   #49
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Who is "y'all?" I personally don't think this team needs to have a vet QB on the roster.

Totally agree with you here. Those picks are for rebuilding.

I'm okay with Vick on the roster if the Texans draft Bridgewater, but I am definitely not okay with the idea of Vick starting over Bridgewater in any way, shape, or form. There's no better way for a rookie to learn than on the field experience in my opinion.
If we invest in a right side line, then let Keenum take the hits like a veteran would while Bridgewater gets coached up, then let the competition begin and have a good young backup waiting in the wings.

I'm almost willing to draft Clowney 1-1, Mettenberger 2-1, OT or OG 3-1 and see how things develope. Even better to trade down and pick up extra picks. But TB1-1 with OT/OG 2-1 works.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
If we invest in a right side line, then let Keenum take the hits like a veteran would while Bridgewater gets coached up, then let the competition begin and have a good young backup waiting in the wings.
What are our chances of winning with Keenum starting? Right now, I'd say slime to none. Slightly better with Tj starting; very slightly.

With Vick, those chances go up; a lot. If we could find a way to get Cassell, we'd still have a higher chance of winning. Freeman... higher chance of winning than with Case.

Even if we draft Bridgewater #1 overall, let him compete with someone better than Case Keenum to win the starting job. That's all I'm saying. Bring in Dan Orlovsky.

Quote:
I'm almost willing to draft Clowney 1-1, Mettenberger 2-1, OT or OG 3-1 and see how things develope. Even better to trade down and pick up extra picks. But TB1-1 with OT/OG 2-1 works.
I'd like for the Texans to identify who they think the best QB in this class is & develop a plan to get him. If they think it's Mettenberger & that they can get him in the 2nd.... fine.

If they think it's Bortles & they can get him at 5, then they should come up with a plan to do so.

But I would rather they take him at 1 than miss him at 5 & have to take their second/third choice.

Still, if they don't think any of these QBs have a high probability of being a franchise QB, I'd find it hard to believe, but I'd rather they not spend a 1 overall, or a 33 on a QB they have little faith in. Get Boyd, or McArron.
Old 01-06-2014   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Linval Joseph fits the profile of a nt. I never knew why the g-men drafted him. 4yrs 12m, 6m. 6m guarantee sounds right.
It would be very easy to make that cap space for him. Cut Schaub/Mitchell and your in the ballpark.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #52
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90373 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

If Mark Sanchez or Ponder get cut, maybe the Texans look at them. Not the answer at starting QB, but could come in and win a game or two as a backup. Cassel would be another good choice.

Brandon Pettigrew and Jeremy Maclin would be interesting signings as well.

Anthony Spencer's price should be down thanks to his injury and the emergence of Selvie in Dallas.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #53
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is that Rick is gonna have to do a discount doublecheck to help fill out our depth.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #54
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
If Mark Sanchez or Ponder get cut, maybe the Texans look at them. Not the answer at starting QB, but could come in and win a game or two as a backup. Cassel would be another good choice.

Brandon Pettigrew and Jeremy Maclin would be interesting signings as well.

Anthony Spencer's price should be down thanks to his injury and the emergence of Selvie in Dallas.
I like Pettigrew in the sense he's talented,yet haven't lived up to his billing. None of our tes are seam threats so its like having a modified fullback. Pettigrew and fred davis would really open the field up.
Old 01-06-2014   #55
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would take Vick a million times over, and be forced to start him for the next 5 years, before I would even let Matt Schaub have entry into Reliant Stadium. Just sayin ...
You're the worst kind of fan. Ungrateful.
Old 01-06-2014   #56
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
It would be very easy to make that cap space for him. Cut Schaub/Mitchell and your in the ballpark.
Schaub will probably be a cap cut. Mitchell is a FA and not even included in cap numbers.

ps Schaubs 2014 Cap savings in only 4$M. The greater savings comes in future years (ie Watt extension) which is why we take the full hit this year.
Old 01-06-2014   #57
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're the worst kind of fan. Ungrateful.
Grateful for what? We wasted all that time with a back-up starting for us at QB. Maybe not his fault, because Gary hand-picked him, but he still cost us many chances to progress. As a fan I owe Matt Schaub zero gratitude.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #58
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub, before his injuries and losing his mind, was a pretty darn good QB for Kubiak's system.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #59
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Good list. I've always wondered how Kiwinuecka would fare as a 3-4 olb. I'm not sure he's a free agent though.
Thanks, out of this list I would really like us to go after Linval Joseph and Chris Harris.

We really need a NT and Joseph just fits. He has been a productive starter for the Giants since 2011. He is very consistent and has started just about every game for the past three years. The Giants have Cullen Jenkins who will not be a FA until 2016 and drafted Johnathan Hankins so I could see him being allowed to test the market.

Chris Harris is a really good player for Denver and I would bet he will be available because the Broncos have a lot of high profile free agents that they need to retain, like a ton. Harris has experience at the slot and outside. He would make McCain obsolete and be an eventual replacement for Joseph.

Vincent Rey would be a good guy to sign too. He would not cost too much money and would provide an upgrade over Sharpton.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #60
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be nice if we could scrap up enough money for Brian Orakpo, Or Jairus Byrd.. I know they won't come cheap.. but loosing Schaub, Tate, and Smith should be able to get one #hopeful
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read