Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-05-2014   #41
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Htownfan32's Bill O'Brien Mock

No one changes their opinion about a player becase of the combine. As most will say, the combine might move a guy 1/2 a round. JF nor Bortles will do anything at the combine that will change what gms think.
Old 01-05-2014   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I also like Mettenberger and Brett Smith better than most. But the bolded is just wrong. Their skill sets aren't even close to similar.
McCarron/TB are said to be cerberal pocket passers that are very good at reading defenses. With avg arm strength. McCarron has a bigger frame.

Both have led several comebacks in their careers.

So I think they are more alike than most would be willing to admit.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #43
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed,

I see Matthews as a 10 yr all pro OG/C.
I have been saying this for over a month.
Old 01-06-2014   #44
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113664 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed,

I see Matthews as a 10 yr all pro OG/C.
This. He's not quite as good as folks are making him out to be. Joeckel in my opinion was a better tackle.
Old 01-06-2014   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
This. He's not quite as good as folks are making him out to be. Joeckel in my opinion was a better tackle.
There's nothing wrong with picking a 10 yr all pro at any position. I just wouldn't pick him at 1-1.
Old 01-06-2014   #46
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
No one changes their opinion about a player becase of the combine. As most will say, the combine might move a guy 1/2 a round. JF nor Bortles will do anything at the combine that will change what gms think.
Interviews and medicals that happen at the combine will certainly change opinions. Measurements as well.

Chris Johnson might argue that his 40 time at the combine changed some minds.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #47
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McCarron/TB are said to be cerberal pocket passers that are very good at reading defenses. With avg arm strength. McCarron has a bigger frame.

Both have led several comebacks in their careers.

So I think they are more alike than most would be willing to admit.
I respect your point of view but we'll have to disagree. Average arm strength and McCarron being bigger are both true.

McCarron plays point guard to a bunch of stud athletes behind one of the best lines in the country. There is nothing cerebral to him other than the ability to mostly keep from turning the ball over. McCarron has led very few comebacks. He has mostly handed the ball off and let his playmakers lead the comebacks. There's nothing wrong with that. It's what he is asked to do.

Bridgewater is what I would define as a cerebral pocket passer. Makes checks at the line of scrimmage, sometimes even changing plays or formations on the fly. He is also the star of his team and has very little help outside of one good WR and a decent RB. Most every comeback that has happened while he was at Louisville has been carried out by his arm.

McCarron is a game manager who for the most part is just asked to not lose the game for his team. Bridgewater is the key cog for his entire team and is the main reason they have been so successful over the past two years.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #48
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
McCarron is a game manager who for the most part is just asked to not lose the game for his team. Bridgewater is the key cog for his entire team and is the main reason they have been so successful over the past two years.
Yep, good description.

Without McCarron, Bama still wins at least 1 national title in the past 3 years. Without Bridgewater, Louisville doesn't sniff a Big East title, the Sugar Bowl, or get close to a 23-3 record over the last 2 years.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #49
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This what? I don't care what Matthews does at the combine. His play is not that of an elite LT. Clowney is not going to disprove either the motivation or injury issues at the combine.
I agree, but then again, I don't think any player's worth the 1-1 this year. However, someone has to be it. I'd take him over any of the QB's listed in the top 5. Just my .02
Old 01-06-2014   #50
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My 2 guys are Mettenberger and Brett Smith. To be clear I really dont like any of the QB's in this draft.

They have better arms than a game manager like Schaub/Dalton etc.... ever will have. I might be stained by the Schaub yrs.

I just use McCarron as a later rd comparison to TB because I think they have about the same abilities and you are considering TB at 1-1, when you could get McCarron at 3-1.
So your 2 guys are actually 2 guys you dont like?

Why even draft one if you dont like them? Are you wanting the Texans to get a free agent QB or what?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Howdy, folks. Hope y'all had a merry Christmas, happy holidays, and fantastic new years. New Years' Eve brought us two things - a fantastic comeback victory over Duke by #21 Texas A&M, and in the middle of that game a notification from ESPN that the Houston Texans hired Bill O'Brien as their new HC.

I feel that a culture change is imminent in the franchise. Bill O'Brien strikes me as much more gritty than Kubiak, and I think far more willing to take chances on players in terms of character issues. Gone are the "Texans-worthy" days.

That being said, here is my mock draft of the postseason. It certainly won't be my last, and I'm looking forward to the annual board mock, which is always fun to do with the rest of the draftnik community here at TT.

With that said, let's begin.

(Note: I am using CBS's draft tools for height/weight measurements. Feel free to interject if you think there is a discrepancy or mistake).

1. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville, 6-3 205 lbs.

The back and forth on Bridgewater has been intense on this board, but I think as the offseason continues we will learn more and like more about Bridgewater. His OC Shawn Watson has said that he turned over the keys to the offense to Bridgewater as a sophomore. This kid is a film-room rat and lives and breathes the game. I see him step around exquisitely in the pocket instead of dancing like Manziel does sometimes (not going for a knock on my own university's QB, but he does tend to create pressure on himself sometimes). His release, while slightly unconventional, doesn't concern me that much. What does concern me is durability - he's skinny, but an NFL conditioning program will change that.

Long story short, TLDR; I think he is franchise QB material. And I have a gut feeling that Bill O'Brien will too.

Here's a better write up on Teddy than anything I can muster: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-...014-nfl-draft/

2. Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford, 6-6 261 lbs.

Good pass rusher. Pac-12 DE who projects as a 3-4 OLB, he can step in and instantly contribute across from Whitney Mercilus. Featuring a good blend of speed and strength, with the ability to both pass the rusher and defend the run, he will be a good player for this defense, replacing Brooks Reed's lack of production. 2013 All-American and First Team All Pac-12 for 2012 and 2013.

3. JaWuan James, OT, Tennessee, 6-6 318 lbs.

I think James is the sleeper pick at OT for quite a few people. He could be a starting tackle at many colleges, and has played well for Tennessee throughout the season. Athletic and very solid in the running game. Will be a upgrade over the turnstile Derek Newton.

4. E.J. Gaines, CB, Mizzou, 5-10, 195 lbs.

This guy shut down Mike Evans, which tells me pretty much most of what I need to know. He's had good production in his games and I think will be a good replacement for the horrendous Brice McCain. Good mixture of cover and ball skills. Has played for a while and has been a solid member of the Mizzou secondary since 2011.

5. Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon, 6-6 287 lbs.

Hart has been solid for Oregon this season. I believe he will rise slightly after the East West Shrine game but should be available for us. Recorded 64 tackles, five TFL, and three sacks. Limited playing time in certain blowout games due to the nature of Oregon wins.

6. Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon, 6-5 250 lbs.

So, remember that culture change I was talking about? I think we're going to see more high risk players out of our new regime. I feel like this same regime would have taken a chance on Tyrann Mathieu last draft and Vontaze Burfict the draft before. Lyerla has cocaine problems but is a player. In the 6th I would not balk at taking him because A) what do you have to lose? and B) if he can clean up his act, he will contribute to a TE corps featuring Graham and a promising young TE in Griffin. I think OD is gone this offseason.

7. Jordan Zumwalt, ILB, UCLA, 6-4 230 lbs.

Will need to put on some weight. I saw him play against Virginia Tech and he impressed me. Kind of a Braman type player, I think he will be a solid ST contributor and will fight to become a contributor at ILB. High motor guy.

What do y'all think?
Hate to take up space by quoting but lots to say. First thanks for your efforts as it helps with my thoughts. I see trade down (my mock) & quite easily two trades as no 1-1 player. I don't see need for OLB 2014 Mercilus & Trevardo Williams will start in this defense imo. I've pushed James for months but due to his ranking and Tenn record I have him 4th round #97. Same with Hart who I love but he cannot seem to move up & I have him 5th round. Agree with others McNair says no to Lyria who shot his Colt. I think we go with what we have and bring back Graham; probably sign a UDFA for TE.

Corner? I think we can replace McCain with Harris and add lower round CB selection.
Old 01-06-2014   #52
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
So your 2 guys are actually 2 guys you dont like?

Why even draft one if you dont like them? Are you wanting the Texans to get a free agent QB or what?
Yes, I've said many times I dont really like any of the Qb's in this draft. These are the 2 that I think have the best chance of becoming what Texans fans are looking for.

But I would try to trade down and get a 2015 1st so that I could try to trade up in a much better QB draft and use this draft to fill many of the holes that currently exist on the team.

What I hope doesn't happen is that Rick reaches and ends up with another Carr.

Regardless of whether a QB is drafted or not, I would like for the Texans to get a vet QB like Cassell to bridge the gap.
Old 01-07-2014   #53
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, I've said many times I dont really like any of the Qb's in this draft. These are the 2 that I think have the best chance of becoming what Texans fans are looking for. .
What do you mean by this?

What are Texans fans looking for?

Do you mean that you think Mettenberger and Smith are the two QBs most likely to bring a championship to Houston?

If so based in what?
Old 01-08-2014   #54
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

My evaluation:

1. TB, hell yes I'm on the TB train, good pick.
2. Murphy, I'm assuming you want him at OLB for this mock. I love the size and hustle but alot is going to depend on his ability to bend and quickness. I'll be very interested to see his 10 yd. split time in the 40 at the Combine. I have doubts that he fits a traditional 3-4 at OLB.
3. James, I love this pick as well. I'm hoping he falls to the 4th in my latest mock.
4. Gaines, I don't know anything about him but CB is a definite need.
5. Hart, I think in Wade's 1 gap 3-4 he's great depth, in a 2 gap system he needs to add some weight but should be good depth.
6. Lyerla, doubtful that Uncle Bob signs off on this pick. If he can stay clean then he's going to be a steal for someone.
7. Zumwalt, I don't know anything about this guy either but ILB is a definite need.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read