Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #21
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Discount Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
O'Brien worked wonders with Cassel and he was probably the best of the 3 crappy Minnesota QB's this year. Wouldn't mind signing him and going into camp with...

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum
I was thinking the same thing
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #22
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I'm pretty sure it's "Worilds"

TJ Ward is my first pick. I'd be okay grabbing Orakpo or maybe Eugene Monroe if we don't grab a suitable tackle, I don't think Baltimore pays him.
Just "ok" with orakpo? Dude is an all-pro.
Old 01-04-2014   #23
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
O'Brien worked wonders with Cassel and he was probably the best of the 3 crappy Minnesota QB's this year. Wouldn't mind signing him and going into camp with...

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum
I see O'Brien making a run at Ryan Mallet from the Patriots in a trade. Younger and has a better arm than Cassel. Maybe Cassel comes in as the backup

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #24
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I see O'Brien making a run at Ryan Mallet from the Patriots in a trade. Younger and has a better arm than Cassel. Maybe Cassel comes in as the backup
We only make that move if O'Brien sees Mallett as the QB of the future.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
We only make that move if O'Brien sees Mallett as the QB of the future.
Yup, otherwise this suggestion makes no sense (actually it just makes no sense). The Pats are going to want at least a 3rd and probably a 2nd to give him up. In three years he has 4 passing attempts with 2 completions, 1 to his team and 1 to us.
Old 01-04-2014   #26
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Worlids is a fa, hughes is not. I really like Worlids the more I watch him on film. Getting a guy like him would push a pick down unless someone like Beasley fell in your lap in the 2nd rd.
Old 01-04-2014   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I want no part of Michael Vick on the Texans. I'd rather they start a rookie, back him up with the best of Schaub/Keenum/Yates than bring Vick here.
Old 01-04-2014   #28
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I want no part of Michael Vick on the Texans. I'd rather they start a rookie, back him up with the best of Schaub/Keenum/Yates than bring Vick here.
Yes... bad, bad idea!

Why get a veteran place holder who will win some games, probably, but could not effectively run the offense on schedule... He would stunt the growth and development of all our young WRs, not to mention being a poor QB mentor for a young, athletic QB who needs to develop decision-making, footwork, and timing to succeed in the NFL. Also, he would not be cheap enough to justify cutting Matt Schaub. Schaub would be a very good backup QB for a talented rookie. He is very generous, intelligent, and experienced. I think they should cut him, but only to save significant cap room.
Old 01-04-2014   #29
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128833 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's also the most polished of the terds available if y'all insist on signing a FA QB.

I'd prefer not to trade picks for a QB. If we do that we're making a commitment to that player. We're not making a move like that and then just letting the guy walk.

In my mind the best plan is to draft Bridgewater and sign Vick. Let Vick start until he inevitably gets hurt, and then throw Teddy in there.
Absolutely not. Vick is and would be one of the worst QB's to learn from. He is terrible inside the pocket, holds onto the ball to long, and isn't an accurate passer either. Vick is not a guy that I would want to teach my young QB and plus Vick would be doing everything to become the starter. Bob would never bring Vick here with Vick's history of killing animals.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #30
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

So for all those who want to bring in FA QB like Cassel are you thinking Cassel will start and the draft pick will learn? If so how long do you give the draft pick to learn before you start him?

I would prefer to let the draft pick to get time on the bench first. Not sure if we have the luxury.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Y'all just being whoever is advocating for signing a FA QB, whoever it may be.

I think that a rookie QB can benefit from adjusting to the NFL without having the expectations of being the #1 pick placed immediately upon them. I don't like to ever start a rookie QB unless it is clear that it would be bad for the team if the player didn't start, which very may well end up being the case if Bridgewater is the QB we select. I think he is this year's only rookie QB who is ready to start year 1 if necessary.
I want to know the Texans are committed to winning in 2014. To that end I'd like to see them bring in a QB that gives us a chance to win. It doesn't have to be a great chance, just better than a Case/Tj chance.

I want Bridgewater, or whoever to beat out somebody if he's going to start in 2014.
Old 01-04-2014   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum
Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
So for all those who want to bring in FA QB like Cassel are you thinking Cassel will start and the draft pick will learn? If so how long do you give the draft pick to learn before you start him?

I would prefer to let the draft pick to get time on the bench first. Not sure if we have the luxury.
Cassel is under contract with the Vikes through 2014, but he can void the contract and become a FA in February. He'll make $3.15 million under his current deal. What $$$ would it take to lure Cassel? Knowing that he's only warming the seat for the rookie that will be drafted? It would be a great fit, but Cassel is not a lock to come to Houston.
Old 01-04-2014   #33
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 6383 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum
This is the PERFECT time to get McCown or whatever his name is out of Chicago. Cutler just got a contract that minimixes McCown's chances as a starter there and he proved himself capable in Cutler's absence....putting up excellent stats and winning games. He's young and coachable with experience and would be cheaper than alot of others with starter experience. Then you take your pick from the big 4 in the draft and go.
Old 01-04-2014   #34
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Not discount guys, But i think Rick needs to figure out a way to grab

Brian Orakpo -OLB WAS

Brandon Spikes - ILB NE

MT. Cody - NT BAL
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #35
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn View Post
This is the PERFECT time to get McCown or whatever his name is out of Chicago. Cutler just got a contract that minimixes McCown's chances as a starter there and he proved himself capable in Cutler's absence....putting up excellent stats and winning games. He's young and coachable with experience and would be cheaper than alot of others with starter experience. Then you take your pick from the big 4 in the draft and go.
McCown is not young. He is in his 30s.

He is in the Chad Henne class of QB. Solid back-up, just good enough as a starter to ruin your chances of a high draft pick.
Old 01-05-2014   #36
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn View Post
Quote:
One problem with that assumption is McCown sounds perfectly comfortable with possibly not playing in the NFL next season. For the 34-year-old quarterback, family is more important that his job.
As pointed out, Josh McCown is 34 years old and he says he's not sure if he even wants to play next year. LINK

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #37
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The fact that you would even consider Schaub still being on this team in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #38
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 20183 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I'm pretty sure it's "Worilds"

TJ Ward is my first pick. I'd be okay grabbing Orakpo or maybe Eugene Monroe if we don't grab a suitable tackle, I don't think Baltimore pays him.
Monroe gets the deal in Baltimore- Oher will be available
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #39
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 20183 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
In the secondary, I like tracy porter, if his health checks out. I also like Huff as a free safety and matchup guy. Alan branch has played well since leaving arizona.
Huff got benched by the Ravens after 1 game and then cut after 7 games...signed with Denver after Rahim Moore went to IR....sits on the bench now....Ravens started a rookie over him and the rookie, Matt Elam, was out of position...
Old 01-05-2014   #40
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Not discount guys, But i think Rick needs to figure out a way to grab

Brian Orakpo -OLB WAS

Brandon Spikes - ILB NE

MT. Cody - NT BAL
He hasn't done squat since he flopped on Dexter McCluster of the Chiefs causing a fumble in the 2010 Playoffs....

Buyer beware....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read