Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2014   #41
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill O'Brien "type" players on our roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
FWIW, I heard two different people on the radio yesterday (McClain and Zierlein, IIRC) say that O'Brien primarily ran/runs ZBS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Maybe so but the Belichick Patriots model is the Power run game or smash mouth football.

the patriots way is not to blindly run anything either week or week out nor year -in year-out. it is to adapt the personnel at hand and the team that they are playing in a given week or in season view find things that the league has not caught up with.
Old 01-03-2014   #42
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
the patriots way is not to blindly run anything either week or week out nor year -in year-out. it is to adapt the personnel at hand and the team that they are playing in a given week or in season view find things that the league has not caught up with.
That'll never work.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #43
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

M biggest problem is we don't have a "Tom Brady" on the roster
to make him look good like he did with the Pats

Man, I HATE this hire!
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #44
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 197748 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post

Man, I HATE this hire!
Umm ... he probably was hired just as much for his work at PSU as his time with the Pats .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
M biggest problem is we don't have a "Tom Brady" on the roster to make him look good like he did with the Pats

Man, I HATE this hire!
Which Head Coach hire would have brought Tom Brady to the Texans?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #46
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope not! What exactly did he accomplish at PSU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Umm ... he probably was hired just as much for his work at PSU as his time with the Pats .
Old 01-05-2014   #47
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Not my point. My point was that the guy isn't really accomplished
at all.

A KC-Reid type of hire would have been more like offering the
Texans job to Smith or Wisenhunt. An actual NFL coach with
actual Superbowl experience.

Not hiring some guy out of the college ranks with 2 years of
experience and no conference titles.

If you were going to hire a college coach, it should have been
someone innovative (like Chip Kelly, etc.. Sumlin, Briles, Mahlzan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Which Head Coach hire would have brought Tom Brady to the Texans?
Old 01-05-2014   #48
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 197748 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope not! What exactly did he accomplish at PSU?
I can see this will be like playing catch with Stevie Wonder .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #49
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not my point. My point was that the guy isn't really accomplished
at all.

A KC-Reid type of hire would have been more like offering the
Texans job to Smith or Wisenhunt. An actual NFL coach with
actual Superbowl experience.

Not hiring some guy out of the college ranks with 2 years of
experience and no conference titles.

If you were going to hire a college coach, it should have been
someone innovative (like Chip Kelly, etc.. Sumlin, Briles, Mahlzan)
I can`t really comment too much on O`Brien because I don`t follow college football - but I think the team wanted to go young and fresh to get a coach that can form a team that can win in this "new" NFL - a passing league, fast game, major limitations to defense, mobile QB... Lovie Smith is a great coach, but one of the "old days". I am sure he will do great things in Tampa and maybe he would`ve been the better choice, but he won`t modernize the team and the system.

Wisenhunt had a great season and really bad ones. In his great season he had a great QB. I think a lot more people would`ve hated that signing than people hate the O`Brien signing.

And about the innovative college QBs - that can pretty fast turn into a gimmicky strategy that other teams figure out and render useless pretty fast. I don`t think McNair was ready to go all that way.

Basically we have a hard nosed coach that both excelled in a great and in a horrible situation. A guy that has a history of being a great QB developer, that loves the game and that doesn`t take bull**** from anyone. It remains to be seen if he can be a great HC in the NFL, but I totally understand the direction McNair is going here. And most analysts seem to think, we got the prize of available coaches...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #50
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Man, I HATE this hire!
I feel sorry for you. I usually wait to spend my life-force hating someone/something until I can establish an valid opinion, which NONE of us here can do since he hasn't coached a single down for us yet.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #51
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I can see this will be like playing catch with Stevie Wonder .
Old 01-06-2014   #52
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:
O'Brien likes big QBs. I could see #Texans trying to trade w #Patriots for Ryan Mallett, going diff direction in draft
Old 01-06-2014   #53
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
I'd be ok trading a 4th for Mallet, maybe even a 3rd if he thinks that highly of him. We could then go Clowney or Barr in the 1st and OT in the 2nd.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #54
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seriously doubt NE would trade Mallett unless they were getting more than what they used on him. Wouldn't make sense.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #55
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Seriously doubt NE would trade Mallett unless they were getting more than what they used on him. Wouldn't make sense.
Unless he is no good, but then we wouldn't want him.
Old 01-09-2014   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
McGloin is somewhere between 6'-6'1.
Did you watch that video in which he talked about QBking?

At any rate, he may just draft his own guard from Penn St.; the guy only has a master in Mathematics.
http:// http://www.ydr.com/psu/ci_23...el-is-smartest
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #57
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I miss kubes ..................

I don't think this is going to work out IMO I don't think any former NE coach has had success when they left ............NE LOL

I hope im wrong but I forsee like wut 4 years of medoricty 2 come
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read