Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #941
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I liked the way Rick Smith was sweating and kissing butt.
Doing what he does best.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #942
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Very hot name in NFL circles today...

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Houston media has absolutely no sources with the top brass. That's for sure.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #943
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Hadn't seen this before.

Quote:
Franklin is one of the hottest names in coaching right now, and he is also a candidate to replace OíBrien at Penn State.
Link
Old 01-04-2014   #944
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tweets read bottom-to-top...

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Quote:
Bernhardt on Bill O'Brien's wife, Colleen: "Sheís a tough cookie. She keeps that (family) together and Bill will tell you that." #Texans

Jim Bernhardt on Bill O'Brien's 11-year-old son, Jack: "Jackís my buddy." #Texans http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...=612e2af7e2#/0 Ö

For all those asking about #Texans, Bill O'Brien, Jim Bernhardt: check Sunday's @HoustonChron.

... background and what heís committed to. But Iím sure thereís extenuating circumstances that forced him to make a decision like that."

More O'Leary on #Texans' O'Brien: "Iím sure it was a tough decision for Bill OíBrien to leave Penn State for the Houston Texans, knowing ...

the results very quickly in Houston.Ē

UCF's George O'Leary on #Texans' Bill O'Brien: "They are getting a great coach and a guy who can make things happen. Iím sure they will see

Interesting nugget from Brown coach Phil Estes about Lane Kiffin's 2012 open poaching of #PennState players: "Boy, did that piss Billy off

Bernhardt on connection with #Texans' O'Brien: "I donít have much of an ego. My ego is that I donít need to be noticed." #NFL

"Iíll be there the whole time," said Bernhardt, referring to role with #Texans. Compared relationship with O'Brien to Belichick-Ernie Adams.

The O'Brien-Bernhardt friendship dates back 24 years. Bernhardt once lived near Rice and scouted Houston-area as a coach. #Texans

Bernhardt said role's still being decided with #Texans but has been planned for weeks, dating back to O'Brien's initial interest in team.

Jim Bernhardt, close friend and right-hand man of coach Bill O'Brien, said Friday he's definitely joining #Texans in as-yet-undefined role.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #945
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is an article about Bernhardt and his role with O'Brien at Penn State.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefoo...bernhardt.html
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #946
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Here is an article about Bernhardt and his role with O'Brien at Penn State.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefoo...bernhardt.html
The interesting thing about that article is that it sounds like O'Brien hired Bernhardt to keep him in check, and to cuss him out when needed.

That. Is. Fantastic.

Word on Twitter is that Bernhardt is coming to the Texans in some kind of role.

The idea that O'Brien doesn't surround himself with "yes" men, and actually have people he respect tell him when he may be making mistakes, is a sign of confidence and maturity.

The funny thing is, I used to say that Kubiak needed someone like this on his staff. Back when Kubiak was regularly screwing up challenges, I used to say that he needed a "big picture" person on staff, up in the booth during games, to tell him when to challenge something; and to tell him - during the week before games - that his strategy needed to be tweaked.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #947
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
The interesting thing about that article is that it sounds like O'Brien hired Bernhardt to keep him in check, and to cuss him out when needed.

That. Is. Fantastic.

Word on Twitter is that Bernhardt is coming to the Texans in some kind of role.

The idea that O'Brien doesn't surround himself with "yes" men, and actually have people he respect tell him when he may be making mistakes, is a sign of confidence and maturity.

The funny thing is, I used to say that Kubiak needed someone like this on his staff. Back when Kubiak was regularly screwing up challenges, I used to say that he needed a "big picture" person on staff, up in the booth during games, to tell him when to challenge something; and to tell him - during the week before games - that his strategy needed to be tweaked.
Agree with everything here buddy. Glad to see that you are excited as I am about the new regime.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #948
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Not a yes man, a baby sitter.

Quote:
The funny thing is, I used to say that Kubiak needed someone like this on his staff.
He did. He got rid of them. Sherman, Gibbs.

What Kubiak needed, was a boss. The GM on most other teams. Being that O'Brien is essentially a rookie, he needs a boss as well.
Old 01-05-2014   #949
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 352717 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I look at it as a Quality Control position. Just like the old tale about the Emperor who had a slave ride in his chariot during a parade and whisper in his ear that all glory is fleeting. Sometimes the last person to realize things are going off the rails are the guy who's leading it off the rails. So I don't mind this.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #950
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What Kubiak needed, was a boss. The GM on most other teams. Being that O'Brien is essentially a rookie, he needs a boss as well.
Agreed. I don't think that Smith is going to be that strong of a boss to this guy though. I'm just some fan on a computer, but just from my own observations of their character and approach. I feel like O'Brien is going to end up with a lot of control here that is similar to what Kubiak had especially if he has some early success and over achieves in Mcnair's eyes. Mcnair is the type that buys in pretty fast. The body language feels like Smith and Mcnair are really into this guy as well.
Old 01-05-2014   #951
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He did. He got rid of them. Sherman, Gibbs.

I'm not talking about a GM, per se; though, yes, Gary did need a strong GM.

I'm talking about someone who, during the games, calls down to Gary yelling, "Throw the flag! Throw the flag!"

I'm talking about someone who says, "Gary, you have a problem on Special Teams. If you don't fix it, it's going to cost you a lot of games."

I'm talking about someone who says, "Gary, you can't just plug-and-play your way to wins. You have to adapt."

Technically, the GM should do MOST of those things. But, as we've established, Rick didn't have that kind of power.
Old 01-05-2014   #952
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Agree with everything here buddy. Glad to see that you are excited as I am about the new regime.
I'm not ready to annoint Bill O'Brien the best coach ever, like a lot of people on here, but, I am somewhat excited about this hire, the more I read about this guy and the more I hear.

He uttered the words "fast offense" the other day and I was damn-near salivating.

It's so amazing how unlike Kubiak this guy seems so far. Wow.
Old 01-05-2014   #953
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Agreed. I don't think that Smith is going to be that strong of a boss to this guy though. I'm just some fan on a computer, but just from my own observations of their character and approach. I feel like O'Brien is going to end up with a lot of control here that is similar to what Kubiak had especially if he has some early success and over achieves in Mcnair's eyes. Mcnair is the type that buys in pretty fast. The body language feels like Smith and Mcnair are really into this guy as well.
The second Bill O'Brien goes up to Indianapolis and wins a game, it's over. He will own this entire city.
Old 01-05-2014   #954
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The second Bill O'Brien goes up to Indianapolis and wins a game, it's over. He will own this entire city.
For a day...

Sign Ben Tate.
Old 01-05-2014   #955
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why? I don't give a **** about beating Indianapolis in Indianapolis unless it's in the playoffs. I'll be just as happy if we go to Denver, New England, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh or win there. I'll be happiest if we beat them at Reliant.

.....I just hope this isn't a situation like some Braves fans now find themselves in with manager Fredi Gonzalez. Folks were ecstatic to get a "new blood" manager and hyped Fredi up so much, and now fast forward two, three years and the very Braves fans who clamored for Fredi as the hire now loathe him. Probably a matter of the Perpetually Insatiable (tm), but my point is let's pump the brakes. It's nice to be excited but let the guy prove he's different before anointing him a savior. Sports have burned me too many times to get excited about anything until success actually happens. I can't get too up or down over any hiring until it unfolds on the field.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #956
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Folks were ecstatic to get a "new blood" manager and hyped Fredi up so much, and now fast forward two, three years and the very Braves fans who clamored for Fredi as the hire now loathe him.
Of course that's going to happen here if O'Brien doesn't produce the results we want. That's life. No one but Jerry Jones "knew" Jimmy Johnson would win a Super Bowl, much less 2 (3). He was nothing like any Super Bowl winning coach before him.

No one but Bob Kraft "knew" Belichick would win a Super Bowl.

Quote:
Probably a matter of the Perpetually Insatiable (tm), but my point is let's pump the brakes. It's nice to be excited but let the guy prove he's different before anointing him a savior. Sports have burned me too many times to get excited about anything until success actually happens. I can't get too up or down over any hiring until it unfolds on the field.
Where's the fun in that?
Old 01-05-2014   #957
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course that's going to happen here if O'Brien doesn't produce the results we want. That's life. No one but Jerry Jones "knew" Jimmy Johnson would win a Super Bowl, much less 2 (3). He was nothing like any Super Bowl winning coach before him.

No one but Bob Kraft "knew" Belichick would win a Super Bowl.

Where's the fun in that?
The fact that the fanbase is buzzing means that hope has been renewed . During the QB Dave era , I felt 6 and 10 record was as good as it was going to get . We were renewed by Schaub until the wheels fell off .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #958
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Why? I don't give a **** about beating Indianapolis in Indianapolis unless it's in the playoffs. I'll be just as happy if we go to Denver, New England, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh or win there. I'll be happiest if we beat them at Reliant.

.....I just hope this isn't a situation like some Braves fans now find themselves in with manager Fredi Gonzalez. Folks were ecstatic to get a "new blood" manager and hyped Fredi up so much, and now fast forward two, three years and the very Braves fans who clamored for Fredi as the hire now loathe him. Probably a matter of the Perpetually Insatiable (tm), but my point is let's pump the brakes. It's nice to be excited but let the guy prove he's different before anointing him a savior. Sports have burned me too many times to get excited about anything until success actually happens. I can't get too up or down over any hiring until it unfolds on the field.
So just remain in fear then. After all a 2-14 season is much better than trying to improve that situation. You were terrified of losing Kubiak of all coaches for years. Maybe you should just follow Kubiak wherever he goes since you have such a fear that change could actually be for the better. I mean god forbid we actually do better than a 2 win season. Man, I had no idea we were taking such a risk.
Old 01-05-2014   #959
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

So, the previous Braves manager, Bobby Cox, should not have been allowed to retire because fans can't handle change?

And, yes, beating Indy in Indy would be a big deal because WE HAVE NEVER DONE IT. Ever. I'm not saying we settle for that; I'm saying that would be a fun milestone for this franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2014   #960
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So just remain in fear then. After all a 2-14 season is much better than trying to improve that situation. You were terrified of losing Kubiak of all coaches for years. Maybe you should just follow Kubiak wherever he goes since you have such a fear that change could actually be for the better. I mean god forbid we actually do better than a 2 win season. Man, I had no idea we were taking such a risk.
Some would rather lose than change. I'm officially befuddled.

Repped
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read