Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-03-2014   #241
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
He had very consistent effort until this yr when he knew he would be a top 5 pick if he never played a down. There was too much $$$$ to lose if he got hurt to give it his all this yr. I cant blame him.
Sure, it makes total sense, and I don't blame him... similarly, I can also relate to football players that tend to eat pizza and hamburgers during the off-season and take it easy instead of being militant about their diet and workout routine.

However, if I am evaluating players to join my team with a $25 million financial commitment, I'm less concerned with their ability to think/behave like Everyday Joe. Instead, I'm looking for someone with an edge, commitment, and intensity that goes beyond logical or relatable.

I do not believe there is any athlete, no matter how remarkable, that can enter the NFL and be a great player without being a harder worker than the majority of the NFL athletes. That wasn't the case 25 years ago. I guarantee you there will be a large number of athletes in this year's combine that will be in the ballpark of Clowney's power/weight/speed/quickness combination... Some of those players may be TEs, LBs, and some DEs... There will be freakishly strong Safeties that weigh 230 lbs and run sub 4.5s and RBs that do the same. I believe football intelligence, commitment, and passion are crucial for anyone to be great in the NFL today. I don't see those intangibles clearly enough to want Clowney...

The Texans will surely do their homework- talking to Clowney and his coaches. They will know much better than you or I will know. So, if they do draft him, I will be cautiously optimistic. I'm only speaking confidently about what I am confident about. Aaron Donald is going to be a great NFL DT... Though it is likely (but not certain) that the Texans could trade back and draft him, at this point, if the Texans drafted defense with pick 1.1, I would want Donald.

p.s. Check went in the mail today.
Old 01-03-2014   #242
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jesus H...

If you don't understand the difference between a double team and a chip block then just stop bothering with the charade that you know any damn thing about football.

There is clearly a difference between two players working a guy for the duration of a play and one guy working him as another takes a quick shot and moves on.

Yes, if he was chipped it was done as an intentionally schematic move to keep the designated player away from the ball. But it is clearly hyperbole to call it anything other than what it is.

The point is Clowney is good enough that he consistently requires extra attention.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #243
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Jesus H...

If you don't understand the difference between a double team and a chip block then just stop bothering with the charade that you know any damn thing about football.

There is clearly a difference between two players working a guy for the duration of a play and one guy working him as another takes a quick shot and moves on.

Yes, if he was chipped it was done as an intentionally schematic move to keep the designated player away from the ball. But it is clearly hyperbole to call it anything other than what it is.

The point is Clowney is good enough that he consistently requires extra attention.
If that was directed at me, that is pretty much what I said.
Old 01-03-2014   #244
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
If that was directed at me, that is pretty much what I said.
Everybody in this thread knows exactly who that was directed at. The same person who is wrong nearly every time he touches a keyboard and yet consistently gets upset when he is corrected.

If you took it as meant for you then I apologize. It was not.
Old 01-03-2014   #245
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Everybody in this thread knows exactly who that was directed at. The same person who is wrong nearly every time he touches a keyboard and yet consistently gets upset when he is corrected.

If you took it as meant for you then I apologize. It was not.
Well... seeing as how I'm never wrong...

Old 01-03-2014   #246
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well... seeing as how I'm never wrong...

Only when we disagree
Old 01-03-2014   #247
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jesus H...

If that was directed at me, what mussop said....and you can't correct someone if they're right.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #248
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jesus H...

yeah, he's just a queer that needs attention and people continue to give it to him.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #249
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the point is that Clowney is very disruptive and that simply pointing to his sack numbers to the point of stubbornness is approaching intellectual dishonesty.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #250
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney = Jevon Kearse.

Not bad, but no LT either. I cringe when I hear generational because its such a grand claim to make when faced with the concerns.
Old 01-04-2014   #251
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty sure, with the Crennel hire, that we can take Clowney off the board at #1 (along with my pet project: Aaron Donald). So, that takes care of that.

Other names that may have moved up our board as potential 1st round picks on defense:

A. Barr (OLB)
L. Nix (NT) ... I doubt either would be selected with 1.1, but perhaps could be targeted with a move down a few spots.

Other possibilities if we drop beyond 1.5:
K. Mack OLB
CJ Mosley ILB - New England traded up to 1.9 a few years ago to get J.Mayo.

I would say Crennel's hiring increases the likelihood, a great deal, that the Texans go offense (QB of their liking or Matthews), or trade down.
Old 01-04-2014   #252
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be a huge fan of Mack, especially if there's a trade down.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #253
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97234 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm pretty sure, with the Crennel hire, that we can take Clowney off the board at #1 (along with my pet project: Aaron Donald). So, that takes care of that.

Other names that may have moved up our board as potential 1st round picks on defense:

A. Barr (OLB)
L. Nix (NT) ... I doubt either would be selected with 1.1, but perhaps could be targeted with a move down a few spots.

K. Mack OLB

I would say Crennel's hiring increases the likelihood, a great deal, that the Texans go offense (QB of their liking or Matthews), or trade down.
Hard to say right now, but I think this is the first time in Texans history that I really don't care all that much as long as we don't draft Clowney.

You've heard me rip Kubiak and Smith for years, but right now I'm very comfortable with our coaching situation and excited for it. Whatever direction they choose to go, I'll have confidence that they are making sound decisions unless it's a total head scratcher that I can't justify for the life of me. I think we could draft or trade back in so many different scenarios right now. I'd love to get our QB situation figured out though. UNfortunately there is only one QB that I really like and he seems to need a little bit more development as of now.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #254
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

A. Barr (OLB)

K. Mack OLB

actually NE did not trade up for Mayo. that was SF's pick they received from the previous year when the 9ers traded back in to the 1st Rd for Joe Staley.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #255
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Mallett is as unproven as any of the QB's this year that nobody here wants to draft.
Agreed,

But he's got 3 things going for him.

1. Talent, as much as any QB in this draft. Mallett is unproven because he plays behind a GOAT. (Brady)
2. He already knows the offense, none of the draftable QB's already knows the offense.
3. He will be much cheaper than 1-1.

If BO'B chooses to make a trade like this then there is something in Mallett he likes and that's good enough for me. If not then hopefully he finds his guy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #256
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed,

But he's got 3 things going for him.

1. Talent, as much as any QB in this draft. Mallett is unproven because he plays behind a GOAT. (Brady)
2. He already knows the offense, none of the draftable QB's already knows the offense.
3. He will be much cheaper than 1-1.

If BO'B chooses to make a trade like this then there is something in Mallett he likes and that's good enough for me. If not then hopefully he finds his guy.
Mallet is not Texan worthy, so forget it.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #257
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

2 people are somewhat occupied and that's good enough for me.

Clowney/Watt are doubled and chipped some of the time.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #258
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
2 people are somewhat occupied and that's good enough for me.

Clowney/Watt are doubled and chipped some of the time.
That ship has sailed. Clowney does not fit anywhere in Romeo's defense.
Old 01-04-2014   #259
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
That ship has sailed. Clowney does not fit anywhere in Romeo's defense.
Well Crennel is still unemployed & hasn't talked to the Texans
Quote:
Rapoport states that Crennel informed him that hes still unemployed, despite rumors that the Texans are eyeing him as part of their new staff.
Old 01-04-2014   #260
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well Crennel is still unemployed & hasn't talked to the Texans
Where in that article do you get the Texans haven't talked to him?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read