Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2014   #21
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair open to trading No. 1 pick

I had a sales manager, gazillion years ago who reminded us daily, "Don't be afraid to address the obvious." in my mind that's all McNair and Smith did when "announcing" that the number one pick could be had in a trade. I did like the idea of McNair going some version of its up for trade and smith coming back sort of saying but we are not giving it away.

Fans and media both talk about top picks being traded way more than it actually functionally happens. the last time the 1st pick was traded was when whined Eli whined his way out San Diego to New York so that was not even a normal trade.

The RGIII was the last true blockbuster in my mind near the top of the draft although there have been a handful of lesser trades in the top 5 in the last ten or so years if my memory is working.

There is around a 10% percent chance that some team bites in my mind, but I see nothing wrong with McSmith stating what everybody already should have known just so there is no confusion.
Old 01-03-2014   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like the Texans to trade down so the mention from McNair that they would consider a trade down sounds good to me.

Admittedly it has no significance at this time. It's just a comment.
Old 01-03-2014   #23
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'd like the Texans to trade down so the mention from McNair that they would consider a trade down sounds good to me.

Admittedly it has no significance at this time. It's just a comment.
Agreed.

While it isn't earth-shattering news and does not actually indicate a likelihood of a trade, he rejected the alternative option of saying, "we like where we are at. we are only a couple players away and think the value is there for us to go get a QB... "

While that may seem an unwise thing to say, owners and GMs have been known to do it. I remember when the Redskins actually traded into late round one a couple weeks before the draft and announced, at that point, they intended to take Jason Campbell with the pick.

Beyond Dan Snyder and Vinnie Cerratta buffoonery, though, the manner/tone by which McNair answered the question indicated clear willingness to move down and not simply lip service... It seems to me that they've already had discussions about it, which is a good thing.
Old 01-03-2014   #24
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him if he pays her an exorbitant sum. She replies affirmatively.

He then names a paltry amount and asks if she would still be willing to sleep with him for the revised fee. The woman is greatly offended and replies as follows:

She: What kind of woman do you think I am?

He: Weve already established that. Now were just haggling over the price.

Tough crowd.
Jillian Boardman "What do you think I am?"

Ben Caxton "We settled that, we're dickering over the price. A hundred and fifty?"

Wonder if anyone will get the reference. I don't think they will. Stranger in a strange land.
Old 01-03-2014   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Marshall is correct. We should make sure everyone knows our pick is available & the price is reasonable. We're not itching to get rid of it, we're not expecting more than fair value.

Now we need the draft machine to settle on who the best player in the draft is. If one player emerges & he happens to be someone the Rams wants & we handle our business in Free Agency, we'll get more & more trade partners, & may have to weed through several trade offers.
Old 01-04-2014   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Jillian Boardman "What do you think I am?"

Ben Caxton "We settled that, we're dickering over the price. A hundred and fifty?"

Wonder if anyone will get the reference. I don't think they will. Stranger in a strange land.
When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be Jubal Harshaw.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #27
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 6301 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him if he pays her an exorbitant sum. She replies affirmatively.

He then names a paltry amount and asks if she would still be willing to sleep with him for the revised fee. The woman is greatly offended and replies as follows:

She: What kind of woman do you think I am?

He: Weve already established that. Now were just haggling over the price.

Tough crowd.
That's almost a George Bernard Shaw quote. He was in a carriage in London with a high-society lady. As they passed Soho and saw prostitutes soliciting customers, the woman was digusted and asked George how could these women debase themselves to this level? George asked the woman, "Suppose you had no money and your child was ill with an illness that only an expensive operation could cure. Would you do it?" The woman said, "Well perhaps under those circumstances." George then said, " Well, we already have established what you are, and now are just dickering about the price."
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #28
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans trade for Ryan Mallet, already knows O'Brien's system, trade down from the #1 pick for more picks and stock pile to fill greater holes....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickpatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I'm starting to feel like this is one off-season I'm going to want to skip. I can't wait until the draft gets here.
Why?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #30
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87319 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Texans trade for Ryan Mallet, already knows O'Brien's system, trade down from the #1 pick for more picks and stock pile to fill greater holes....
But then you'd cry about us being "Patriots 2.0.". I really wonder why anyone really wants Mallett at starter, he's dumb as hell and if he was such a hot commodity, someone would've traded for him by now.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #31
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
But then you'd cry about us being "Patriots 2.0.". I really wonder why anyone really wants Mallett at starter, he's dumb as hell and if he was such a hot commodity, someone would've traded for him by now.
Well hell if you are gonna go, go all in! You think he is dumb or that teams saw what happened when Matt Cassell left the Patriots system and was an ultimate fail, so why even bother?

If Mallet is running the same system under O'Brien, shouldn't he flourish, in theory?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickpatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
^^^^
This
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #33
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This
This... is the loser mindset that we must get away from. Ryan is a back up quarterback for a team that has a franchise qb. We are not trying to be the junior varsity version of the New England Patriots... we are building a team to beat them and everyone else to win the superbowl.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #34
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Why?
The suspense and uncertainty of it all. We have barely gotten into the debate of Bridgewater vs. Clowney at #1 and I'm already getting tired of it. I'm ready for them to make a decision and it's not going to come for another five months. Thank God there is playoff football, the Winter Olympics, March Madness & baseball to get me through until the NFL draft gets here...
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #35
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope Smith and O'Brien stay as far as humanly possible from this mindset. Names like the following should be all the reason anybody needs as evidence against this. Kolb, Cassell, Flynn and to aaa lesser extent Schaub. A team needs star level talent to win in the NFL and Mallett ain't that.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
I hope Smith and O'Brien stay as far as humanly possible from this mindset. Names like the following should be all the reason anybody needs as evidence against this. Kolb, Cassell, Flynn and to aaa lesser extent Schaub. A team needs star level talent to win in the NFL and Mallett ain't that.
Getting a player like Mallet (depending on what you have to give up) only allows us more flexibility in the draft. It allows us the ability to trade out of the first spot, picking up more picks (early picks) & acquiring more talented players.

It also gives us the ability to take the best non-QB available, then get a talented "star" level QB later in the draft..... Bortles, Manziel, Hundley, Mettenberger, even if we have to trade back into the first to do it.

Then of course if we draft a QB with the #1 overall, we don't have to just give him the job. Let him earn it
Old 01-04-2014   #37
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Kaepernick
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Alex Smith
Andy Dalton

All are starting QBs in these playoffs: None of those guys were drafted or signed as free agents with a widely held belief that they would be "star talent".

If O'brien believes in Mallett and can get him at a good price, then I am for it. To your point, though: I don't want our organization to look for a serviceable QB that could work well-enough.
Old 01-04-2014   #38
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Getting a player like Mallet (depending on what you have to give up) only allows us more flexibility in the draft. It allows us the ability to trade out of the first spot, picking up more picks (early picks) & acquiring more talented players.

It also gives us the ability to take the best non-QB available, then get a talented "star" level QB later in the draft..... Bortles, Manziel, Hundley, Mettenberger, even if we have to trade back into the first to do it.

Then of course if we draft a QB with the #1 overall, we don't have to just give him the job. Let him earn it
What has Mallet shown so far? I don`t think he can be the long term solution for us - and he would come at a price. So basically we would give up picks to get QB that probably won`t be the long term solution.

Id say sign a veteran FA QB and draft a QB with one of our first two picks...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #39
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Kaepernick
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Alex Smith
Andy Dalton

All are starting QBs in these playoffs: None of those guys were drafted or signed as free agents with a widely held belief that they would be "star talent".

If O'brien believes in Mallett and can get him at a good price, then I am for it. To your point, though: I don't want our organization to look for a serviceable QB that could work well-enough.
Smith and Dalton are both 1st round picks and Bress was a star coming off an injury. And none of the rest were traded for I have no problems drafting a QB outside of pick 1.1, but trading for one hardly ever works out. Especially when trading for the likes of Mallet.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #40
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12625 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Smith and Dalton are both 1st round picks and Bress was a star coming off an injury. And none of the rest were traded for I have no problems drafting a QB outside of pick 1.1, but trading for one hardly ever works out. Especially when trading for the likes of Mallet.
Smith was not just a 1st rounder, but the #1 pick overall. The #24 pick overall was a serviceable QB named Aaron Rodgers.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read