Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-10-2013   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Titans reportedly ready to make major changes in coaching and personnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
When you say franchise do you mean the Tennessee titans? Or are the Oilers history included.

If it does include the Oilers, the person(s) saying such things is psycho. I'm not sure he'd even be top 5.

I apologize in advance if I misread
I assumed he meant just the Titans without the Oilers included. Of course, that means it's just Fisher and Munchak in the running but c'est la vie.

If he is including the Oilers then... no. Just. No.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #22
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67068 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Titans reportedly ready to make major changes in coaching and personnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
When you say franchise do you mean the Tennessee titans? Or are the Oilers history included.

If it does include the Oilers, the person(s) saying such things is psycho. I'm not sure he'd even be top 5.

I apologize in advance if I misread
Well I don't remember the 60s but from Bum Phillips, to Hugh campbell, to Glanville, to Pardee, to Fish, who the heck was better? This isn't an organization that has a great coaching tree. If anything it's one of the worst. Yes I include the Oilers, as that's what I grew up on 1978 onwards.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Well I don't remember the 60s but from Bum Phillips, to Hugh campbell, to Glanville, to Pardee, to Fish, who the heck was better?
I would think 4 playoff years out of 5 would trump 6 out of 16 pretty easily.
Old 12-10-2013   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well I don't remember the 60s but from Bum Phillips, to Hugh campbell, to Glanville, to Pardee, to Fish, who the heck was better? This isn't an organization that has a great coaching tree. If anything it's one of the worst. Yes I include the Oilers, as that's what I grew up on 1978 onwards.
I'd consider Bum Phillips and Jack Pardee easily better than Fisher. Maybe even Glanville even though he was only about 50%.
Old 12-10-2013   #25
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67068 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'd consider Bum Phillips and Jack Pardee easily better than Fisher. Maybe even Glanville even though he was only about 50%.
I'll stipulate Bum. But not a frigging chance on Pardee or Glanville. I remember those chokes and underachieving teams like it was yesterday. They were given SB-caliber talent and blew it, especially Pardee. At least Fish saw the SB and a 2nd AFC Championship, and this is coming from someone who is NOT a Fisher guy.

Old 12-10-2013   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I would think 4 playoff years out of 5 would trump 6 out of 16 pretty easily.
True, but Fisher did one thing none of the others could achieve: win an AFC championship.

I'm not a Fisher fan, but I'd have to put him in the top 5 coaches of Oilers/Titans franchise history.

My order would probably be Bum, Pardee, Fisher, Glanville...maybe Lou Rymkus for two AFL championships?
Old 12-12-2013   #27
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'll stipulate Bum. But not a frigging chance on Pardee or Glanville. I remember those chokes and underachieving teams like it was yesterday. They were given SB-caliber talent and blew it, especially Pardee. At least Fish saw the SB and a 2nd AFC Championship, and this is coming from someone who is NOT a Fisher guy.
I swear, after watching A Football Life I would hope that re-opened some people's eyes on Pardee. He does not deserve to be on anyone's "best of" lists when it comes to the Oilers. Sorry.

Old 12-12-2013   #28
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I swear, after watching A Football Life I would hope that re-opened some people's eyes on Pardee. He does not deserve to be on anyone's "best of" lists when it comes to the Oilers. Sorry.
You have to remember that Pardee was operating with both hands tied behind his back. So was Holovak. Bum took complete control away from both, even more than he normally did.
Old 12-12-2013   #29
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
You have to remember that Pardee was operating with both hands tied behind his back. So was Holovak. Bum took complete control away from both, even more than he normally did.
His hands weren't tied on 35-3, or the loss the previous year in Denver, or when they blew homefield and the bye against a crappy Giants team the last week of the season - when they knew how critical it would be for Denver.

Yes Bud was his typical self with his cartoon-like move to bring in Buddy and not even bother telling anyone. But a stronger more assertive, confident coach either doesn't let that happen on his watch, or quits. He tried to literally ignore the circus, which was impossible.

Old 12-12-2013   #30
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His hands weren't tied on 35-3, or the loss the previous year in Denver, or when they blew homefield and the bye against a crappy Giants team the last week of the season - when they knew how critical it would be for Denver.

Yes Bud was his typical self with his cartoon-like move to bring in Buddy and not even bother telling anyone. But a stronger more assertive, confident coach either doesn't let that happen on his watch, or quits. He tried to literally ignore the circus, which was impossible.
Jack Pardee never quit on anything in his life. Yeah he made some bad decisions but I think you judge too harshly.
Old 12-12-2013   #31
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Jack Pardee never quit on anything in his life. Yeah he made some bad decisions but I think you judge too harshly.
I'm not judging him harshly, I just believe, while we're not talking Vince Lombardi here, that Fisher was a better coach than Pardee. Too much bad and choke happened under his watch. To me, those were the most talented teams I ever saw where the powder blue.

That said, I'd take the 1993 Pardee over 2013 Munchak. (lol I guess only to me)

Old 12-12-2013   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I deeply disagree with you on this. Pardee was past his prime when he came to the Oiler's but that same terrible coaching tree you brought up pretty much assures him of a place near the top.

As was said 4 out of 5 tops 6 in 16. I have a lot of respect for Pardee. I like Fisher, always have and like most old Oiler fans I loved Bum. Fisher's third in my mind behind the other two.
Old 12-12-2013   #33
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I deeply disagree with you on this. Pardee was past his prime when he came to the Oiler's but that same terrible coaching tree you brought up pretty much assures him of a place near the top.

As was said 4 out of 5 tops 6 in 16. I have a lot of respect for Pardee. I like Fisher, always have and like most old Oiler fans I loved Bum. Fisher's third in my mind behind the other two.
To each their own my friend!

I think its partially because I was there in person for 35-3. You never heal from that wound.

Old 12-12-2013   #34
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, that is some pretty strong exaggeration there. Pardee had a stacked team and couldn't get anywhere with it in the post season. Biggest choke job of all time to. Glanville had some mild successes, but everyone always knew that he was pathetic. For the most part I always felt that the Titans were having success here and there, because of Fisher's coaching and not in spite of it like many other HC's. When Fisher had a good QB in Mcnair the Titans had quite a few nice seasons. I thought that Fisher made that team better than it should have been most of the time. I can't say the same thing for either Pardee or Glanville. Bum had more success when you consider the winning percentage, but it's a much smaller sample so it's hard to compare without seeing what Bum could have done in a similar period like what Fisher had.

Quote:

Pretty much. Good post.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Default Titans Fire Munchak

LINK

I'd been hearing on the NFLN that he was just going to have to restructure his staff...
Old 01-04-2014   #36
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans Fire Munchak

Hes probably going to Ped State anyway. Sad to see him out of the division as a HC though.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #37
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet they hire Franklin .
Old 01-04-2014   #38
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Jim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsports 7m

@mortreport says coach Mike Munchak has been fired by #Titans. He was offered chance to come back on Friday, with conditions
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #39
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

This is not a good season to be waiting to fire your coach a good week after the regular season has ended.

Does that make 7 firings already?? Those other 6 teams have gotten a good week head start on the Titans in their coach search and the 2 best candidates are already off the board.

Gary Kubiak anyone?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #40
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsports

Among the coaches Munchak was going to have to let go: DC Gray, OC Loggains, OL coach Matthews and LB coach Parlavecchio #Titans

with conditions...........

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read