Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-04-2014   #181
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Bortles has around 200 yards against Baylor without the awesome effort and YAC from his receiver. Just sayin.

He might have the brawn, but that alone won't get it done. Making 1 read or dumping off won't get it done at the next level ask Jake Locker. Everyone said Bortles ran a pro offense, but it was more of the same collegiate shenanigans. He isn't fitting the ball into spots or making adjustments.

I wish someone would pose a better argument than his physical traits.

Why hasnt he made a name for himself prior to this year? Flavor of the week like Ponder,Gabbett,Smith,Manuel.

I see a lot of Jamarcus Russel in Bortles.
Old 01-04-2014   #182
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
No one is saying they are similar prospects in terms of talent.
hold on....I watched most of Andrew Luck's games at Stanford. I can say IMO that that Blake Bortles is the equal or on par with Andrew Luck when Luck was in his 2nd year as a starter with Stanford.

Comp/ATT.......%.......Yards.........YPA.......TDs...... INTs......... QBR

Luck 263/372......70.7.....3338....9.0......... 32.....8......... 170.2
Bortles 259/382.....67.8 ..3581....9.38....... 25 .....9.......... 163.4

You often hear the Texans need to draft this defensive player because they will have to face Luck for the next dozen years. What better player to draft to counter Andrew Luck than a mirror image of Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles?
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #183
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
hold on....I watched most of Andrew Luck's games at Stanford. I can say IMO that that Blake Bortles is the equal or on par with Andrew Luck when Luck was in his 2nd year as a starter with Stanford.

Comp/ATT.......%.......Yards.........YPA.......TDs...... INTs......... QBR

Luck 263/372......70.7.....3338....9.0......... 32.....8......... 170.2
Bortles 259/382.....67.8 ..3581....9.38....... 25 .....9.......... 163.4

You often hear the Texans need to draft this defensive player because they will have to face Luck for the next dozen years. What better player to draft to counter Andrew Luck than a mirror image of Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles?
Not even close .

One ran a pro style offense while the other runs the offense of VY and Tebow .
Old 01-04-2014   #184
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You often hear the Texans need to draft this defensive player because they will have to face Luck for the next dozen years.
You're confusing Manning and Luck.
Old 01-04-2014   #185
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Not even close .

Not to mention competition level. While I think it's dumb to suggest Bridgewater or Bortles competition level should be a negative, when comparing stats you do have to take it into account.

I will say this. Andrew Luck never did anything super impressive in Stanford that I saw. He just did everything very well. That's what makes me laugh at people downplaying Bridgewater. That's what he does. Everything well - nothing flashy. Is Bridgewater as good as Luck? Probably not and he sure doesn't have the same body so that is a concern. I just see more of Luck's skill set in Bridgewater than in Bortles.

I'm not set on anyone yet but would say I'm currently thinking Bridgewater, Manziel & Bortles in that order. I'm sure that will change many times over the next 4 months. I'm not a trade down guy. If they really like one QB more than the rest you take him at 1-1.
Old 01-04-2014   #186
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Not to mention competition level. While I think it's dumb to suggest Bridgewater or Bortles competition level should be a negative, when comparing stats you do have to take it into account.

I will say this. Andrew Luck never did anything super impressive in Stanford that I saw. He just did everything very well. That's what makes me laugh at people downplaying Bridgewater. That's what he does. Everything well - nothing flashy. Is Bridgewater as good as Luck? Probably not and he sure doesn't have the same body so that is a concern. I just see more of Luck's skill set in Bridgewater than in Bortles.

I'm not set on anyone yet but would say I'm currently thinking Bridgewater, Manziel & Bortles in that order. I'm sure that will change many times over the next 4 months. I'm not a trade down guy. If they really like one QB more than the rest you take him at 1-1.
I think this QB class is getting distorted by the " looks the part " angle .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 01-04-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #187
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You're confusing Manning and Luck.
Nope, Manning doesn't play for the Colts or in the division anymore. In 2 years Luck is the Div champ and the Texans nemesis for the nest dozen years.
Old 01-04-2014   #188
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope, Manning doesn't play for the Colts or in the division anymore. In 2 years Luck is the Div champ and the Texans nemesis for the nest dozen years.
Let's go over this again:

Quote:
You often hear the Texans need to draft this defensive player because they will have to face Luck for the next dozen years.
People said that about drafting to stop Manning, eg. Mario. They have not been saying it about Luck (other than you).
Old 01-04-2014   #189
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:

People said that about drafting to stop Manning, eg. Mario. They have not been saying it about Luck (other than you).
What do you call Hopkins ?
Old 01-04-2014   #190
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Luck vs Texans = 3-1, the Colts are $40 mil under the cap, it will get worse. There will be more saying it, because you haven't heard about it or are aware that people ARE in fact saying it doesn't mean people aren't saying that about Luck and the Texans, THEY ARE. Several say Clowney and Watt is the Texans best answer to Luck. Either get up to speed or cease and desist.
Old 01-04-2014   #191
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Luck vs Texans = 3-1, the Colts are $40 mil under the cap, it will get worse. There will be more saying it, because you haven't heard about it or are aware that people ARE in fact saying it doesn't mean people aren't saying that about Luck and the Texans, THEY ARE. Several say Clowney and Watt is the Texans best answer to Luck. Either get up to speed or cease and desist.
You build your team the best you can and see how you compete . The Colts have some major holes yet to fill and the Texans handled them easy for a half at Reliant . The Colts made adjustments and won the game .

IF Bill can coach , the Texans closed the gap . If they get a QB they closed it more .
Old 01-04-2014   #192
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
I really hope the Texans don't pass on Bridgewater for Bortles.
I would be pissed if they took him number one overall. No if they traded back and picked him up late in the top ten or something, then that's fine. Unless Manziel is there, of course
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #193
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not even close .

A common fixation that is irrelevant and wrong.
Old 01-04-2014   #194
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You build your team the best you can and see how you compete . The Colts have some major holes yet to fill and the Texans handled them easy for a half at Reliant . The Colts made adjustments and won the game .

IF Bill can coach , the Texans closed the gap . If they get a QB they closed it more .
The Colts have $40 mil to spend, the Texans DON'T.
Old 01-04-2014   #195
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just because they have $40 million to spend doesn't mean they will fix all of their holes. Hell, they gave up a 1st round pick for their backup RB.

I do agree that they are in much better position than the Texans. Mainly because they have a QB and we don't.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #196
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
A common fixation that is irrelevant and wrong.
Quote:
Nothing is irrelevant when it's somebody you don't like .

Just because they have money doesn't mean they can get the right players . This isn't the NFL player shopping network with a money back guarantee .
Old 01-04-2014   #197
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nothing is irrelevant when it's somebody you don't like .

Just because they have money doesn't mean they can get the right players . This isn't the NFL player shopping network with a money back guarantee .
Unlike most here there is no preconceived like or dislike. Only reality based unbiased and objectivity. There is the ability to think beyond the 2013 Sugar Bowl, there is the ability to think for one's self not what the media tells you to believe.

There is no difference in a 20 yard pass from shotgun formation in a Pro Set or some kind of spread. A 20 yard out is a 20 yard out, a 40 yard post is a 40 yard post, a 15 yard cross is a 15 yard cross, a 12 yard hook is 12 yard hook. A 25 yard TD run is a 25 yard TD run.

Hint: Put your money on the team with $40 mil to be more competitive than a team with only $8 Mil. Basic common sense and logic vs a whole bunch of wishing and hoping.
Old 01-04-2014   #198
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Bortles has around 200 yards against Baylor without the awesome effort and YAC from his receiver. Just sayin.
For an apples to "kinda" apples comparison, how many yards did TeddyB have vs Miami without the awesome effort & YAC from his receiver?

Serious question, I'm not convinced Bortles belongs in the discussion, though I readily admit he is.

Quote:
I've never heard anyone say that. But I have heard the, "Oh crap we've got to face Andrew Luck twice a year." I'm slowly coming around to believing Luck is going to be a good player, but still.... I don't think this way. Not even Brady is undefeated. It may be tougher to beat him than other QBs, but it makes us better, I think.

At the same time... I started the "Keenum vs Luck" thread with the same "anti-Luck" thought process. I want a player that our opponents say, "Awsht, we've got to face XXXX player." If Keenum proves not to be that guy (which so far, he has) then we need to draft a QB early in the draft (between picks 1 & 33).

If Bridgewater was a "Awsht, we've got to face Teddy twice a year." player, I'd be fine using the 1-1 on him. So far, all I'm getting is the Jag fans hoping we pass on him. They don't seem to be to worried about us likely picking him.

I guess that counts for something.
Old 01-04-2014   #199
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Unlike most here there is no preconceived like or dislike. Only reality based unbiased and objectivity. There is the ability to think beyond the 2013 Sugar Bowl, there is the ability to think for one's self not what the media tells you to believe.

There is no difference in a 20 yard pass from shotgun formation in a Pro Set or some kind of spread. A 20 yard out is a 20 yard out, a 40 yard post is a 40 yard post, a 15 yard cross is a 15 yard cross, a 12 yard hook is 12 yard hook. A 25 yard TD run is a 25 yard TD run.

Hint: Put your money on the team with $40 mil to be more competitive than a team with only $8 Mil. Basic common sense and logic vs a whole bunch of wishing and hoping.
You are as unobjective as a mother with a kid in a beauty pagent .

The team with less money means they haven't paid up yet .
Old 01-04-2014   #200
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You are as unobjective as a mother with a kid in a beauty pagent .
I make up my mind after watching hundreds of hours of actual college games. You and your brethren on the other hand, are only as good as the lastest Bleacher Report or the last talking bobble head you listened to. But in your mind you think you're the better informed.....go figure. All Hail Todd McShay, All hail Matt Miller.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read