Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-03-2014   #101
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62893 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: University of Texas' Head Coach search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
True,but everyone else they've been reported approaching has said "No thanks" either through the media or by renewing with their current school, including Fisher and saban.

My point? They aren't going to get their first, second, or third choice now,though they will claim they are once the hire is made.
They may, apparently they still have someone(s) they want to talk to and are patiently waiting. Who is left that they would be patiently waiting for? Fisher and Malzhan. If they had given Texas a definite NO THANKS #2 would've already been hired. My gut says it's Fisher and that he's interested and that's why Texas is playing the waiting game.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #102
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
They may, apparently they still have someone(s) they want to talk to and are patiently waiting. Who is left that they would be patiently waiting for? Fisher and Malzhan. If they had given Texas a definite NO THANKS #2 would've already been hired. My gut says it's Fisher and that he's interested and that's why Texas is playing the waiting game.
Problem is that PSU and Miami jobs are open. And if they wait and those top guys decide to stay, they may lose choice 5 or 6 and be left with worse options.

I still find it highly unlikely that Fisher or Saban would sign a new deal with the intent of leaving right after.

It will be interesting to watch regardless. As will the meltdown if Texas waits and ends up not getting their splash guy and the other guys they want sign on elsewhere.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #103
Stemp
Brew Master

Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Thought I'd share some info that was sent my way via a UT website.

Quote:
1. I communicated with two people tonight that believe that Texas has decided on who the next coach will be.

2. A source with Louisville ties informs that Charlie Strong believes he's getting the job. Obviously, if we had that confirmed we would report it and we're working non-stop to confirm everything that we can.
Quote:
FYI...info jibes with Louisville 247 site as well (they think Strong is gone). Looks like multiple sites are hearing the same thing
Old 01-03-2014   #104
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Strong would be Texas' first choice but he's certainly not a bad one.

I wish the other university in Texas good luck. There's nothing holding us together (sports-wise, academics is a different story) anymore. The only thing we compete for together is recruits.

Also, I dislike Tech in sports more than UT, so as long as Tech gets beat we're all happy, right?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #105
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Golden to Penn St, Strong to Miami. Strong owns Miami.
Old 01-03-2014   #106
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62893 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB 14m

Louisville coach Charlie Strong will replace Mack Brown as the head coach at Texas, according to a high-ranking UT source

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 8m

Was just told by a source that #Texas has not made any decision on its head coach. The group is still meeting.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 35s

High-ranking UT source says Louisville's Charlie Strong has been offered #Texas job and appears ready to accept. @statesman
Old 01-03-2014   #107
Stemp
Brew Master

So much for waiting for Fisher or Saban.
Old 01-03-2014   #108
Texian
Hall of Fame

@SIPeteThamel: High ranking Texas official said Texas and Charlie Strong have agreed. Five years, $5 mill per. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...ns-head-coach/
Old 01-03-2014   #109
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
So much for waiting for Fisher or Saban.

Strong to be OC?
Old 01-04-2014   #110
Texian
Hall of Fame

Texas will hire Louisville coach Charlie Strong, reports Bobby Burton of Horns247.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson appeared to target Strong after whiffing on Nick Saban. Patterson was also known to have interviewed Vanderbilt's James Franklin, but it appears that the Commodores' coach finished runner-up.

Yahoo Sports columnist Pat Forde wrote in a column Friday that Strong was "the absolute worst fit for the job" because "he wants to be left alone. That wouldn't fly at Longhorn Network University. If he's hired, you're free to wonder whether the people involved with the search asked the right questions and got the right answers."
Source: Bobby Burton on Twitt
Old 01-04-2014   #111
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Texas will hire Louisville coach Charlie Strong, reports Bobby Burton of Horns247.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson appeared to target Strong after whiffing on Nick Saban. Patterson was also known to have interviewed Vanderbilt's James Franklin, but it appears that the Commodores' coach finished runner-up.

Yahoo Sports columnist Pat Forde wrote in a column Friday that Strong was "the absolute worst fit for the job" because "he wants to be left alone. That wouldn't fly at Longhorn Network University. If he's hired, you're free to wonder whether the people involved with the search asked the right questions and got the right answers."
Source: Bobby Burton on Twitt
interesting because Franklin has reputation as a networker (like Mack) and strong reputation is something other than that.
Old 01-04-2014   #112
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109003 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Best coach available is more important than best press representative. Strong fulfills that over Franklin. You lose some in the recruiting area but Texas needs an X and O guy more right now.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #113
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
interesting because Franklin has reputation as a networker (like Mack) and strong reputation is something other than that.
Mack was the gold standard anytime there was a microphone in front of his face. Never a better ambassador or fund raiser. IMHO I don't think it matters who they hire I'm not sure anyone can meet those standards. There will be complainers and haters regardless.

OK I'm done here for the night. Did my part in keeping board members as informed as I could about all things UT Coach, Bortles and Underclassmen.
Old 01-04-2014   #114
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Superb hire. Strong is supremely underrated by many. That pro offense with 4 star recruits will be nasty. Texas will be relevant again quite soon.
Old 01-04-2014   #115
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Superb hire. Strong is supremely underrated by many. That pro offense with 4 star recruits will be nasty. Texas will be relevant again quite soon.
I hope you're right. Atleast with Strong the offense should be much improved. Hopefully recruiting will rebound. I heard that Strong is a great recruiter.

I was a Briles guy. He has inroads with all of the HS coaches.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #116
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I hope you're right. Atleast with Strong the offense should be much improved. Hopefully recruiting will rebound. I heard that Strong is a great recruiter.

Don't get me started, Briles IS Texas football. He has spent a good amount of time building up Baylor, and I feel strongly that with another lesson learned and one more year of experience that program will vie for the championship next year. Hard to walk away from that.

Watch that Texas QB Ash moving forward, Strong could turn him into a star if the kid has enough IQ to handle the system.
Old 01-04-2014   #117
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Offense? Strong is a defensive guy, so I don't know why the offense would be what would benefit from the hire. He's an excellent defensive coach though and he is a great recruiter with strong ties in South Florida. He is one of the most effective recruiters in the South Florida area, which is great for Texas. I think Strong should have been retained at Florida, only promoted to HC, Florida really messed that situation up IMO.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #118
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watch that Texas QB Ash moving forward, Strong could turn him into a star if the kid has enough IQ to handle the system.
Yeah, he was so good that A below average Case McCoy took his job from him like three separate times and ended up keeping it. Ash was never even supposed to be a starter at Texas in the first place. Ash won't be setting anything on fire.Lol!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #119
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Strong isn't an offensive guy and I doubt he's had much to do with Teddy's development there. He is a great recruiter though so if the deal does go through he will make some noise.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #120
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Offense? Strong is a defensive guy, so I don't know why the offense would be what would benefit from the hire. He's an excellent defensive coach though and he is a great recruiter with strong ties in South Florida. He is one of the most effective recruiters in the South Florida area, which is great for Texas. I think Strong should have been retained at Florida, only promoted to HC, Florida really messed that situation up IMO.
Yep,

But Strong's teams have had prolific offenses and OK defenses. Anything would be better than the current state of the Horns offense.

Goal #1 for Strong should be to find a top notch QB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read