Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2014   #921
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Yes, it is.

CENSORED
NOOOOO That's bad luck!

look what it did to the steelers
Old 01-03-2014   #922
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 10083 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the look on O'Brien's face through the whole thing, particularly during the Q&A. It's a look that says "I hate this fluffy BS, where's my office?".

You can also tell that he's an inexperienced BSer. It's not unlikely or unreasonable that McNair asked him to keep mum on the QB situation for the time being, resulting in: "Ummm.....well....I just got here. A hard worker...and....ummm....a team player who...works hard..." It's a good thing, hardass straight shooters are usually bad at neutral politician answers.

Fitzpatrick is legit.
burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #923
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I love the look on O'Brien's face through the whole thing, particularly during the Q&A. It's a look that says "I hate this fluffy BS, where's my office?".

You can also tell that he's an inexperienced BSer. It's not unlikely or unreasonable that McNair asked him to keep mum on the QB situation for the time being, resulting in: "Ummm.....well....I just got here. A hard worker...and....ummm....a team player who...works hard..." It's a good thing, hardass straight shooters are usually bad at neutral politician answers.
I had to watch the whole video 2 times because the first time the only thing I saw was his chin
Old 01-03-2014   #924
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I had to watch the whole video 2 times because the first time the only thing I saw was his chin
That's what he does to opposing teams.

They stare at his chin and our Offense scores touchdowns!
Old 01-03-2014   #925
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

More Bill O'Brien video, nom nom nom nom!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...-return-to-NFL

Fairly generic interview but its 5 and a half minutes of you kicking back and relaxing while listening to our new head coach. Enjoy.
Old 01-03-2014   #926
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 10083 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
There is a hypnotic quality to the butt chin...like staring into a black hole that devours mediocrity.

Fitzpatrick is legit.
burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #927
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting observation:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...ontinuous=true

Watch the NFLN interview with BOB and notice when asked about JJ he just states "there are a lot of talented players on this roster". he also answered the same way when asked on a local interview. Small thing but I like he doesn't seem to want to put ANYONE on a pedestal. Something Kubiak was notorious for.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #928
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Everyone should listen to this presser. Here's what I heard from McNair and Smith:

Kubiak was not intelligent.
Kubiak was not a great leader.
Kubiak could not adapt from a gameplan that he had prepared.
Kubiak was too weak in the end of games.

We made a mistake hiring a coordinator who had never been a head coach before.
I think I heard something about not being prepared with that first five minute comment & not being mentally tough with the last five minute comment.

& it appears Bob has made "holding people accountable" a catch phrase around reliant. I have to assume that is a result of Kubiak's coaching style as well.
Old 01-03-2014   #929
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think I heard something about not being prepared with that first five minute comment & not being mentally tough with the last five minute comment.

& it appears Bob has made "holding people accountable" a catch phrase around reliant. I have to assume that is a result of Kubiak's coaching style as well.
I took it to mean they were tired of the same thing every game .
Old 01-03-2014   #930
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I finally got a chance to watch the interviews.

Hell, I'M ready to run through a brick wall!!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #931
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I finally got a chance to watch the interviews.

Hell, I'M ready to run through a brick wall!!
Same here... I'm a big fan of this hire. O'Brien appears to be very intelligent, passionate, absolutely motivating - a true football coach in every sense. I just have this gut feeling he's our guy.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #932
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post

I liked the way Rick Smith was sweating and kissing butt.
Old 01-04-2014   #933
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Everyone should listen to this presser. Here's what I heard from McNair and Smith:

Kubiak was not intelligent.
Kubiak was not a great leader.
Kubiak could not adapt from a gameplan that he had prepared.
Kubiak was too weak in the end of games.

We made a mistake hiring a coordinator who had never been a head coach before.
I don't know about the first two, but the last two are correct. We never made halftime adjustments and we never seemed to be able to finish.
Old 01-04-2014   #934
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Interesting observation:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...ontinuous=true

Watch the NFLN interview with BOB and notice when asked about JJ he just states "there are a lot of talented players on this roster". he also answered the same way when asked on a local interview. Small thing but I like he doesn't seem to want to put ANYONE on a pedestal. Something Kubiak was notorious for.
He is all about TEAM - everyone is just as important as the next guy.
Old 01-04-2014   #935
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 5477 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think JJ, Cush, and 'Dre are going to take to BOB immediately. As a coach, he seems to have that same drive they do...and if those guys are all in, the other players will be too.

I don't think all teams need an outwardly hard-nosed coach like BOB seems to be...the Colts were incredibly successful with Dungy. That said, I think he's the best fit for the Texans and what they definitely need, and I'm totally on board...I wish the 2014 season started today.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #936
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
blah blah blah blah

I do like the new guy though. He seems like the type that could lead the team. But the substance of this conference is ZERO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Did you honestly expect a deep analysis of the roster and plans on schemes during his first press conference?

Dude hasn't even met the staff, much less got a chance to sink his teeth into anything.

I guess substance is relative, because I felt like I learned a bit about the man who is the Texans new head coach.
Thanks DB, you saved me some keystrokes.

I sort of liked the fact that O'Brien said, in a nutshell, first let me see what I've got to work with in terms of staff and players and then I'll go from there. IMHO that's much better than trying to fit existing players into some predetermined scheme which may not use them to the best advantage, or worse where they flat may not work.

Score one for the new Irish guy.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #937
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Came across this Feb 2012 article about O'brien (He and his family seem to have a history of admirable accomplishments):

Quote:
Bill O'Brien: Career profile and things you might not know about him

A quick look at new Penn State football coach Bill O'Brien's career accomplishments, as both a player and coach, and some fast facts on the O'Brien family.
Name: William J. O’Brien
Nicknames: Billy, O’Bie
Age: 42, born Oct. 23, 1969 at St. Margarets Hospital in Dorchester, Mass.
Hometown: Andover, Mass.
Family: Wife Colleen; sons Jack, 9 and Michael, 6; father John; mother Anne; brothers John Jr. “Jack”, 51; and Tom, 48.
Playing career: St. John’s Preparatory (1984-88), Brown University (1989-1992; bachelor of arts, double major in political science and organizational behavior management)
Coaching career: St John’s Prep (1989 – freshman lineman coach); Brown University (1993– tight ends; 1994 – linebackers); Georgia Tech (1995-97 – graduate assistant; 1998-00 – running backs/recruiting coordinator; 2001—offensive coordinator; 2002—asst. head coach/offensive coordinator); Maryland (2003-04 – running backs); Duke (2005-06 – offensive coordinator); New England Patriots (2007—coaching assistant; 2008—wide receivers; 2009-10—quarterbacks; 2011—offensive coordinator/quarterbacks).

Dirty Dozen of Things you didn’t know about the O’Brien family

•Bill’s ambition – as stated in the St. John’s Prep yearbook “The Spire” in 1988, was “to dunk a basketball by the age of thirty” It never happened.
Quote he provided under his senior picture in that same edition of the yearbook: “You only live once and if you live right, once is enough.”
•On summer break in college, he worked for the Highway Department in Cape Cod, Mass., where he fixed roads, and potholes, and raked the beaches.
•He is halfway through a master’s in public policy that dates back to his days as a graduate assistant at Georgia Tech.
•He met his wife, Colleen, through current Syracuse University football coach Doug Marrone. Colleen is a graduate of Boston College, and she has worked in the sports information department at B.C. and Northeastern.
The couple’s older son, Jack, was born with lissencephaly, a rare genetic brain malformation.
•The sports tradition in the O’Brien family runs deep: Bill’s paternal grandfather was a newspaperman who played football for a team called “Pere Marquette” in South Boston, and he once faced three of the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame in a game against the Hartford Blues.
•Three generations of Brown football: Bill’s father, John, his brother, Tom, and his nephew, Matthew, are all Brown lettermen.
•Tom and his wife, Patricia, adopted four children from three different south American countries, and Tom sits on the board of directors of “Mil Milagros” (thousand miracles) Inc. The organization partners with schools and families in Guatemala to help improve the lives of impoverished children.
•Bill’s eldest brother, John Jr., was a Massachusetts State Senator from 1993-98.
•John Sr. served three terms as a selectman, the equivalent of a city council member, in Scituate, Mass.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #938
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
He's not a mute. He's deep in study. He's learning how to be a great owner.
Hopefully He's not learning from his dad.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #939
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
seriously, what's the point of having Cal McNair in any press conference?

Doing whatever is comfortable.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #940
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Very hot name in NFL circles today...

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:
Yesterday, McNair said there were candidates we didn't know about who had interviewed. Per @adamschefter Vandy coach James Franklin was one.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read