Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-03-2014   #81
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tajh Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So has Boyd become a complete dud now? If the Texans were to take a non-QB with the #1 overall, then this guy later in the draft, would we have sufficiently "addressed" our QB situation?
No, not at all. I think he lost a bit of value this year, but not nearly enough to consider him a dud.

I think he'll be a second rounder, third at the latest. I would like for us to target him if we end up not going with a QB at 1-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I don't expect Boyd to get drafted until end of round 3 or round 4 unless he beasts out in the Orange Bowl which I doubt. He's probably gonna get his A handed to him.
I wouldn't bet on that, you're likely to lose again. Boyd is going to light Ohio State up. OSU's defense sucks and their best corner is hurt.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #82
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Boyd looking damn good tonight so far before the safety.
Old 01-03-2014   #83
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Boyd looking damn good tonight so far before the safety.
Hard to blame the safety on him too. Two guys on him and he had to unload the ball.

That flip pass was not well executed. He needs to be careful there. He made up for it in that past drive to make it 21-9.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 01-03-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2014   #84
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Only because don't want to look nor start another thread, anybody I argued with about Hopkins versus Watkins based mostly on pure production in 2012, I was plenty wrong.
Old 01-03-2014   #85
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Only because don't want to look nor start another thread, anybody I argued with about Hopkins versus Watkins based mostly on pure production in 2012, I was plenty wrong.
I guess I missed it. I'm assuming you said something along the lines of Hopkins' production was due in large part to them doubling Sammy Watkins? Or countered that point?
Old 01-03-2014   #86
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I guess I missed it. I'm assuming you said something along the lines of Hopkins' production was due in large part to them doubling Sammy Watkins? Or countered that point?
Worse if anything...I actually downgraded Watkins because his suspension and injury last year to being overrated and Hopkins to being underrated. Hopkins had silly numbers last year, and Watkins were overall meh...I ignored the fact that while Hopkins will probably be a nice pro WR, Watkins can do spit that Hopkins can't even dream about.
Old 01-03-2014   #87
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Glad you have had a chance to watch some Watkins.

Nice throw by Boyd there to Watkins. Can't get enough of Watkins.
Old 01-04-2014   #88
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Wow, horrible pick!
Old 01-04-2014   #89
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Interception bowl?
Old 01-04-2014   #90
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Watkins was extremely raw as a freshman and sophomore. He excelled mostly on just plain speed. This year he has really taken it to the next level as a receiver.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #91
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Watkins was extremely raw as a freshman and sophomore. He excelled mostly on just plain speed. This year he has really taken it to the next level as a receiver.
Yeah, he is a great player. I would love him on the Texans.

AT, that was you and I who originally got into the argument about Watkins BTW.
Old 01-04-2014   #92
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

As I stated before, I would take b4 a lot of qbs not named bridgewater. His mechanics get slopy at times.
Old 01-04-2014   #93
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

he looks he'll deal with weight/conditioning problems year after year.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #94
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
he looks he'll deal with weight/conditioning problems year after year.
He's pretty athletic. Has a very McNair-like build.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #95
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda like Boyd.

Of course, Watkins is freaking. in. sane. And that could make Boyd look better than he is.

But I liked Boyd last year when I was looking at some of Hopkins' tape. I like that he puts the ball in places for his receivers to make plays. Like I said though, that's easy with someone like Watkins.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #96
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe he has a legitimate shot to be a starting QB in the NFL someday. He is a bigger version of Russell Wilson, who was graded behind Foles, Cousins, Tannehill, RG3, Luck & Weeden. Incidentally, Foles wound up in Philadelphia in DeMeco Ryans trade. Texans got a 4th for Ryans (Ben Jones) & they flipped 3rd's, Houston with #76 took Brandon Brooks, while Philly used Texan slot #88 to select Foles.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #97
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I believe he has a legitimate shot to be a starting QB in the NFL someday. He is a bigger version of Russell Wilson, who was graded behind Foles, Cousins, Tannehill, RG3, Luck & Weeden. Incidentally, Foles wound up in Philadelphia in DeMeco Ryans trade. Texans got a 4th for Ryans (Ben Jones) & they flipped 3rd's, Houston with #76 took Brandon Brooks, while Philly used Texan slot #88 to select Foles.

I think if boyd had come out last yr,he would've been drafted about where he will be drafted this yr, top 2nd -3rd rd. There is a lot to like about boyd from a talent point. He's sturdy,has a great arm with a compact delivery,and he's very mobile. I don't like the offense he plays in,but I don't like a lot of college offenses. Boyd gets in trouble with footwork. He can throw from various platform and it looks like he has 10" hands. When he's mechanically sound,he can make every throw accurate. When he's not,he'll skip a slant route like mcnabb or cutler. He's gotten better every yr. He'll probably measure at 6'1 220lbs just eyeballing him. If the texans were to take some other than Bridgewater at #1, I would like boyd wth the 33rd pick.
Old 01-04-2014   #98
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
yeah but will didn't see is draft stock fall dramatically in his last year.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #99
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
yeah but will didn't see is draft stock fall dramatically in his last year.
check out beginning of this thread, beginning of October, little movement, if anything he played himself into shape as season went along. I still like him.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-04-2014   #100
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I think if boyd had come out last yr,he would've been drafted about where he will be drafted this yr, top 2nd -3rd rd. There is a lot to like about boyd from a talent point. He's sturdy,has a great arm with a compact delivery,and he's very mobile. I don't like the offense he plays in,but I don't like a lot of college offenses. Boyd gets in trouble with footwork. He can throw from various platform and it looks like he has 10" hands. When he's mechanically sound,he can make every throw accurate. When he's not,he'll skip a slant route like mcnabb or cutler. He's gotten better every yr. He'll probably measure at 6'1 220lbs just eyeballing him. If the texans were to take some other than Bridgewater at #1, I would like boyd wth the 33rd pick.
It's all up to B'OB now. If Boyd is his fallback position guy then I'm good with it. Was trying to compare his last game performance for Clemson to Russell Wilson for Wisconsin against Oregon but its really not apples to apples. 300 yards, 19/25 2 TD & 1 pick. Russell only rushed 6 times for 18 yards but then he had Monte Ball. QBR 92.3

Quote:
In his career, Boyd has thrown for 11,526 yards and 102 touchdowns, which is an ACC record, and he has led Clemson to three consecutive 10-win seasons. As a senior, Boyd threw 29 touchdowns and rushed for nine more, all while leading an offense that averages 329.8 passing yards per game, which ranks No. 11 in the nation.
Boyd Orange outing had 20 rushing attempts for 137 yards & a score, mostly on designed plays but often when flushed & nowhere to throw the ball. 31-40 378 yards 5 TD's 2 INT's & 2 sacks. QBR 85.1

Bottom line both where record setting, athletic QB's for their respective schools. Wilson is just very efficient, smart & despite his lack of size the better athlete. I like your eyeball measurement for Boyd, think that is about right, he does need some weight on his bones because he receives & dishes out more contact, important for his durability. Also feel O'Brian would be able to harness his talent & make him more cerebral, work through his progressions.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read