Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2014   #1
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Potential Free Agents

As most have pointed out, all the holes can't be fixed via draft. Some of the holes can be fixed through free agency. I'm not talking high dollar,big time free agents, moreso middle of pack guys who are known or on the come up.

I would like to see the texans offer a 4yr deal to either Jason Worlids or Jerry Hughes. I've watched both guys and I think both are on the verge of breaking out. I remember polian saying both are the best benders in the draft. I'm not saying the will lead the nfl in sacks,but both worlids and hughes are seemingly starting to get it. Hughes had 10 sacks and Worlids had 8. Both guys are 25 and are free agents. Buffalo has a ton of money, pittsburgh is bumping the cap and in trouble. Not to mention the steelers drafted jones last yr and woodley is still on the roster. I have a few more,but I don't wanna hog the thread.
Old 01-03-2014   #2
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51680 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Discount Free Agents

I'm pretty sure it's "Worilds"

TJ Ward is my first pick. I'd be okay grabbing Orakpo or maybe Eugene Monroe if we don't grab a suitable tackle, I don't think Baltimore pays him.
Old 01-03-2014   #3
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post

TJ Ward is my first pick. I'd be okay grabbing Orakpo or maybe Eugene Monroe if we don't grab a suitable tackle, I don't think Baltimore pays him.
Harbaugh said last week he wants to keep him
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #4
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post

orakpo and monroe will surely get big contracts
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #5
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

how about Rodger Saffold and Austin Howard for the RT position.
Brandon Spikes and lamarr houston could potentially be options all be it expensive ones
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

T.J. Ward will get a big contract for a safety.

I still submit that if we want a one year rental at QB Vick is a good choice.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #7
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4282 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I still submit that if we want a one year rental at QB Vick is a good choice.

O'Brien said he wants smart play from his quarterback, not a turnover/injury prone one. I'd rather start a rookie over Vick.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2014   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post

O'Brien said he wants smart play from his quarterback, not a turnover/injury prone one. I'd rather start a rookie over Vick.
He's also the most polished of the terds available if y'all insist on signing a FA QB.

I'd prefer not to trade picks for a QB. If we do that we're making a commitment to that player. We're not making a move like that and then just letting the guy walk.

In my mind the best plan is to draft Bridgewater and sign Vick. Let Vick start until he inevitably gets hurt, and then throw Teddy in there.
Old 01-03-2014   #9
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 97639 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In my mind the best plan is to draft Bridgewater and sign Vick. Let Vick start until he inevitably gets hurt, and then throw Teddy in there.

Sounds good. Teddy gets to sit on the bench observing Vick and learn what not to do, then eventually he'll get on the field.
5 minutes into game one of his career when Vick gets hurt.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #10
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4282 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's also the most polished of the terds available if y'all insist on signing a FA QB.
Who is "y'all?" I personally don't think this team needs to have a vet QB on the roster.

Quote:
I'd prefer not to trade picks for a QB.
Totally agree with you here. Those picks are for rebuilding.

Quote:
I'm okay with Vick on the roster if the Texans draft Bridgewater, but I am definitely not okay with the idea of Vick starting over Bridgewater in any way, shape, or form. There's no better way for a rookie to learn than on the field experience in my opinion.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Who is "y'all?" I personally don't think this team needs to have a vet QB on the roster.

Totally agree with you here. Those picks are for re-building.

I'm okay with Vick on the roster if the Texans draft Bridgewater, but I am definitely not okay with the idea of Vick starting over Bridgewater in any way shape or form. There's no better way for a rookie to learn than on the field experience in my opinion.
Y'all just being whoever is advocating for signing a FA QB, whoever it may be.

I think that a rookie QB can benefit from adjusting to the NFL without having the expectations of being the #1 pick placed immediately upon them. I don't like to ever start a rookie QB unless it is clear that it would be bad for the team if the player didn't start, which very may well end up being the case if Bridgewater is the QB we select. I think he is this year's only rookie QB who is ready to start year 1 if necessary.
Old 01-04-2014   #12
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

In the secondary, I like tracy porter, if his health checks out. I also like Huff as a free safety and matchup guy. Alan branch has played well since leaving arizona.
Old 01-04-2014   #13
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Sounds good. Teddy gets to sit on the bench observing Vick and learn what not to do, then eventually he'll get on the field.
5 minutes into game one of his career when Vick gets hurt.
LOL. My exact thought!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #14
TXAg14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans will need to pick up a veteran QB to back up any rookie they pick in the draft. If the Texans pick a QB in the first round, obviously they plan to start him. However if the plan is to wait until a later round, the veteran QB may be more heavily leaned upon.

I can't see the Texans going into the 2014 season with Schaub, Yates or Keenum on the roster. Keenum at least would make a little sense, but I can't imagine him giving advice to a rookie QB. "Don't be worried if you see eight defenders up on the line. Hold on to the ball and let a receiver get open."
TXAg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, here's a list. I'm leaving the OL alone- I haven't paid enough attention the past year or two... Also, I know a number of guys on my list have injury issues- I'm assuming we would kick the tires on them and see if they have anything left (perhaps after our training staff is replaced!):

QB: Henne, McCoy, JMcCown, Cassel
HB: A.Bradshaw, Stephens Howling
TE: SChandler, Pitta, Dickson, BMyers, Kellen Davis, Fred Davis

3-4 DEs/ or DTs for either: Tyson Jackson, Ratliff, Linval Joseph, T. Cody

43 DE/ 34 OLBs: R. Ayers, Shaughnessy, D.Tapp

LBs: DBishop, Witherspoon, Dansby, DJ Williams, Stewart Bradley, Akeem Jordan

CBs: Richard Marshall, Sherrod McManis!!

S: Nate Allen, Mikell, Will Allen, Chris Clemons (I'd love TJWard but surely he'd be very costly)
Old 01-04-2014   #16
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Okay, here's a list. I'm leaving the OL alone- I haven't paid enough attention the past year or two... Also, I know a number of guys on my list have injury issues- I'm assuming we would kick the tires on them and see if they have anything left (perhaps after our training staff is replaced!):

S: Nate Allen, Mikell, Will Allen, Chris Clemons (I'd love TJWard but surely he'd be very costly)
I like that Fred Davis mention. Dude is ultra talented,runs like the wind and can detach from los. Linvale Joseph is another guy I like on your list. Young guy on the up,can play the nt or the 5 tech. Richard Marshall is a guy who is probably better suited for S than cb now. He's always been a sure handed tackler and can be the nickel cb. Ayers is the true definition of solid.
Old 01-04-2014   #17
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's a nice list Dale. If we were to go the veteran QB route and only looking on the list that you have and no one else Cassell is the most intriguing guy I see. There are certainly worse options out there and he has experience with BOB.
Old 01-04-2014   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Off of that list give me

Cassel/Joseph/Davis
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #19
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lol Nate Allen is straight garbage
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #20
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

O'Brien worked wonders with Cassel and he was probably the best of the 3 crappy Minnesota QB's this year. Wouldn't mind signing him and going into camp with...

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read