Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-02-2014   #21
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tampa Bay to hire Lovie Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
McCoy was the #1 rated NT by PFF in 2013. David, the #2 rated 4-3 OLB. Revis was the #1 rated CB. Stacked!

But I agree, think Revis is gone.
First thing I thought when I heard of the hire was, "Damn, that's going to be a great defense next year."

Second thing I thought was, "That sure is a lot of money to pay Revis to play zone all day."

They can't cut him, though, can they?

Will be interesting to see how that works out.

I also think Tedford will be a *great* coupling.

I've said all along that if TB could get the right coach in there they could be a great team. That division is going to be fun to watch next year.
Old 01-02-2014   #22
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
First thing I thought when I heard of the hire was, "Damn, that's going to be a great defense next year."

Second thing I thought was, "That sure is a lot of money to pay Revis to play zone all day."

They can't cut him, though, can they?
They absolutely could because the Revis deal includes zero guaranteed money.

None.

Ziltch.

As in there is absolutely no penalty at all for cutting Revis like there would be for essentially any other player.

When the new football year rolls around in March, they'll either pay Revis $16 million or tell him "thanks, but no thanks."

I think Tampa pays him. But I agree, it'll be dang interesting to see how this goes.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #23
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem with cutting Revis is that they just gave a #1 and 3 for him. Those would be thrown away picks if they cut him loose. They still have a lot of cap space so that isn't an issue. They just need to find a way to take full advantage of Revis' talent and make it work somehow despite the $.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #24
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think lovie would've been the head coach most likely to make the most of watt.
If there is one thing I know about Watt, it is that he doesnt need someone to get the most out of himself. You will get 100% from Watt even if the team is coached by Joffrey Baratheon.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #25
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
The problem with cutting Revis is that they just gave a #1 and 3 for him. Those would be thrown away picks if they cut him loose. They still have a lot of cap space so that isn't an issue. They just need to find a way to take full advantage of Revis' talent and make it work somehow despite the $.
The other problem with cutting Revis is that you would be cutting one of the best players in the NFL.

It'd be really hard to do that, even if he's not a schematic fit.
Old 01-02-2014   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
The other problem with cutting Revis is that you would be cutting one of the best players in the NFL.

It'd be really hard to do that, even if he's not a schematic fit.
With a corner like Revis, you can really disguise your cover 2 a lot more than normal. One of your safeties becomes a robber. Most likely it would be the one closer to Revis, but it could very easily be the other.
Old 01-03-2014   #27
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

chipscoggins ‏@chipscoggins 6m

Leslie Frazier is officially going to Tampa to be Bucs defensive coordinator.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
chipscoggins ‏@chipscoggins

Leslie Frazier is officially going to Tampa to be Bucs defensive coordinator.
Love it. Great hire. This could be 2014 Chiefs like turnaround.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #29
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I can't answer for TK, but I was serious. I didn't want Smith and I slightly raised my eyebrows when Kubiak practically bumped into Lovie while making his way to the car.

There's a lot about Lovie Smith I don't know about. I did watch him coach when his games were in TV, I wasn't impressed.
Sorry, I forgot I posted here a couple days back...see even if I think I were not impressed by him, I would bother to talk to a dude who has his resume. Like him or not, he has actual NFL production as a head coach.
Old 01-03-2014   #30
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Sorry, I forgot I posted here a couple days back...see even if I think I were not impressed by him, I would bother to talk to a dude who has his resume. Like him or not, he has actual NFL production as a head coach.
I agree with everything you said. Lovie Smith is a proven commodity and worth one's time to sit down and have a talk with him. I don't dislike Smith or anything, I just thought there were others out there I would want to talk with more.

The reason I agreed with TK (whether he was serious or not) was because I don't think McNair wanted him from the start. The timing of his interview even made me wonder more.

If, after all was said and done, Houston hired Smith I wouldn't have been so upset as to post how much I thought it was a mistake. I would have a lot of studying to do before I could really have an informed opinion. As I said in the other post, there is much about Lovie Smith I do not know about.
Old 01-03-2014   #31
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I agree with everything you said. Lovie Smith is a proven commodity and worth one's time to sit down and have a talk with him. I don't dislike Smith or anything, I just thought there were others out there I would want to talk with more.

The reason I agreed with TK (whether he was serious or not) was because I don't think McNair wanted him from the start. The timing of his interview even made me wonder more.

If, after all was said and done, Houston hired Smith I wouldn't have been so upset as to post how much I thought it was a mistake. I would have a lot of studying to do before I could really have an informed opinion. As I said in the other post, there is much about Lovie Smith I do not know about.
And ya know what I will meet part of the way there. I get to talk to a dude who has as good a resume is anybody who will be an actual candidate, and get to rid myself of a "requirement." If anybody asks me, all have to do is go to my 1st post in this thread and the fact that the next team to interview him could not wait to hire the guy. Best of both worlds.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read