Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-02-2014   #21
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cutler Signs 7 year deal (Chicago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Way, way too much money for Cutler but I understand why Chicago felt they needed to lock him up. Good thing the deal is front loaded so they can release him in 3 years when he's not worth that money anymore (if he ever was).
If the bears can get a half way decent defense they can make a run. The window is short because forte is outstanding but he he's overworked, they have the WRs too. I would rather franchise cutler for another season before giving him that much guaranteed money.
Old 01-03-2014   #22
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

How quickly we forget the David Carr days . .

What veteran QB worth his salt is going to want to come here knowing that his role will be just to fill in while the the high priced rookie is groomed.

If we take a QB high in the draft, even if it's a trade down out of 1.1, he starts on opening day. There won't be any "competition". This is why I don't want to them to draft any QB in the 1st round.

Regarding Cutler . . . Thank you God for making the Bears FO lose their minds.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
4) Trade for a vet and groom a draft pick
Mallett?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #24
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
How quickly we forget the David Carr days . .

What veteran QB worth his salt is going to want to come here knowing that his role will be just to fill in while the the high priced rookie is groomed.

If we take a QB high in the draft, even if it's a trade down out of 1.1, he starts on opening day. There won't be any "competition". This is why I don't want to them to draft any QB in the 1st round.

Regarding Cutler . . . Thank you God for making the Bears FO lose their minds.
Free agency begins about two months before the draft, so a vet QB signed before the draft won't know for certain that there will be a rookie QB to compete against.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cutler is a diabetic and his play reflects his inslulin levels. UP/Down
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #26
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
When I saw the thread title I honestly thought it was a joke. Horrible signing by the Bears. Just for clarification, aside from it being Cutler, a yawn of a QB, the amount and length of the deal is the horrible part.
Yeah, 3-4 year back-loaded deal I can see, but this is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yeah, because winning sucks.

Now we(armchair GMs) are going to throw names like Freeman, Hoyer, & Cassell out there. Maybe we trade for Flynn, or Mallet, maybe Cousins.

I do not want to go into the 2014 season when our best QB has never won an NFL game.
56-48 - Yeah, he's technically a winner. (Then again, so is Schaub)

Cutler is a middle-of-the-road guy who never earned his #11 overall pick. Is he a stop-gap? Sure. Let's not act like he's some sort of top-tier guy.
Old 01-03-2014   #27
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Free agency begins about two months before the draft, so a vet QB signed before the draft won't know for certain that there will be a rookie QB to compete against.
well, if he's gonna have his head that far up his ass, we really don't need him on the team anyway.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Cutler is a middle-of-the-road guy who never earned his #11 overall pick. Is he a stop-gap? Sure. Let's not act like he's some sort of top-tier guy.
Don't think for a second I'm suggesting that Jay Cutler could have been the savior of this franchise.

As it stands right now, we might win 5 games next season. Some of us are ok with that, because we're rebuilding.

I... refuse to believe we are rebuilding. Bob said we are not rebuilding. I would like to sign a veteran QB who has won a few games in the NFL. Cutler fit that bill. Cutler was also the best projected QB this FA period... Actually Schaub is, but we know that shouldn't happen.

& it made sense to me that Cutler would be open to a one year deal (but he just signed for 7 years, so obviously I don't know what I'm talking about).

Next on my list is Josh Freeman, then Brian Hoyer, then I hope they trade for someone.
Old 01-03-2014   #29
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 23162 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Next on my list is Josh Freeman, then Brian Hoyer
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #30
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
I didn't get past reading that Schaub is better than Cutler, wtf?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #31
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Next on my list is Josh Freeman, then Brian Hoyer, then I hope they trade for someone.
Hoyer's under contract to the Browns, and Josh Freeman is...well, he's Josh Freeman.

If you're looking for a one (or maybe even two) year guy, I think I'd be trying to talk to Josh McCown (assuming he's not going to retire).
Old 01-03-2014   #32
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 23162 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Hoyer's under contract to the Browns, and Josh Freeman is...well, he's Josh Freeman.

If you're looking for a one (or maybe even two) year guy, I think I'd be trying to talk to Josh McCown (assuming he's not going to retire).
Josh McCown is really not that good. (But neither are Hoyer or Freeman.)

But he's a Bearkat...so I'll support it.
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #33
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

If all we want is a one year rental then why not take a look at Vick? He's likely to make it just as far into the season as Cutler is before they both get hurt.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
If all we want is a one year rental then why not take a look at Vick? He's likely to make it just as far into the season as Cutler is before they both get hurt.
I like Vick, but I think he brings too much media.

I think a pro team should be able to handle it, but I don't want to deal with it.
Old 01-06-2014   #35
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

No signing bonus for Cutler, high base salaries, $54 million guaranteed

The details are in for Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler's seven-year, $126.7 million contract.

According to a league source, the deal doesn't include a signing bonus and has $54 million in total guaranteed money.

The deal averages $18.1 million per year.
  • In 2014, Cutler has a $22.5 million base salary and salary-cap figure with $2.5 million of his base salary deferred until March 30, 2014 in addition to another $2.5 million paid out over the 2015 regular season.
  • In 2015, Cutler has a $15.5 million base salary guaranteed and salary-cap figure.
  • In 2016, Cutler has a $16 million base salary and salary-cap figure.
  • In 2017, Cutler is due a $12.5 million nonguaranteed base salary and a $15 million salary-cap figure. He has $2.5 million in per-game roster bonus paid out for $156,250 for every game he's active.
  • In 2018, he has a $13.5 million nonguaranteed base salary with a $16 million salary-cap figure. That includes the same $2.5 million per-game roster bonus.
  • In 2019, he has a $17.5 million nonguaranteed base salary with a $20 million salary-cap figure. It has the same $2.5 million per-game roster bonus.
  • In 2020, Cutler has a $19.2 million base salary plus $2.5 million per-game roster bonus.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #36
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

So it's essentially a 3 year, 54 million dollar deal. Kind of like Schaub's actually, but no lingering caphits beyond the "prove it" year. 18m APY is really high though, so it's still not a good deal for the team.
Old 01-06-2014   #37
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Thats my thought process too. I think McCown is going to want a multi year deal and we only need a guy for 8 games, maybe 16 until Teddy is ready.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
So it's essentially a 3 year, 54 million dollar deal. Kind of like Schaub's actually, but no lingering caphits beyond the "prove it" year. 18m APY is really high though, so it's still not a good deal for the team.
It's a one year deal.

If he doesn't prove worthy to keep beyond 2014, they can cut him & not pay him a dime, not have any dead money on the books. Unless that salary for 2015 is truly guaranteed. I know they said "guaranteed" but it's funny how they sometimes mean "guaranteed." Maybe they're saying guaranteed in case of injury. But with his history, I don't know why they would do that. Guaranteed as in if he makes the day 1 roster, he gets paid. But they can release him prior to day 1 if they want to save money.
Quote:
A player's base salary is usually not guaranteed. The player only makes that money if he's on a team's roster for that particular season.

When you see a player sign a five-year or six-year deal, the base salaries are routinely included when the total amount of the deal is discussed. However, unless the player is actually on the roster to start the regular season in that particular year he doesn't get that money unless it's been specifically dealt with in the language of the contract.

And that's rare for a team to guarantee somebody's base salary over the long term.

If his salaries for year 2 & 3 are truly guaranteed (& the Bears are on the hook for that money if he were cut) that would be a very unique contract. I was thinking Cutler was going to have to sign a one year deal to prove to his next team that he was worthy of a long term contract. This, is basically the same, but better. He's already got very good compensation for years 2 & 3 already negotiated.
Old 01-07-2014   #39
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's a one year deal.

If he doesn't prove worthy to keep beyond 2014, they can cut him & not pay him a dime, not have any dead money on the books. Unless that salary for 2015 is truly guaranteed. I know they said "guaranteed" but it's funny how they sometimes mean "guaranteed." Maybe they're saying guaranteed in case of injury. But with his history, I don't know why they would do that. Guaranteed as in if he makes the day 1 roster, he gets paid. But they can release him prior to day 1 if they want to save money.

If his salaries for year 2 & 3 are truly guaranteed (& the Bears are on the hook for that money if he were cut) that would be a very unique contract. I was thinking Cutler was going to have to sign a one year deal to prove to his next team that he was worthy of a long term contract. This, is basically the same, but better. He's already got very good compensation for years 2 & 3 already negotiated.
Have you read anything specific to Cutler's deal that would support that statement? If not, then it's contract where the first 54m is guaranteed.
Old 01-07-2014   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Have you read anything specific to Cutler's deal that would support that statement? If not, then it's contract where the first 54m is guaranteed.
Like I said, guaranteed doesn't always mean guaranteed. It's more like "guaranteed sorta" until we read "guaranteed for performance & injury" it may not be guaranteed at all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read