Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2014   #881
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

What I did not hear : "It's on me."

What I did hear: "I know I have to be at this thing but I'd rather be working on making this team better."
Old 01-03-2014   #882
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

--houstontexans.com
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #883
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What I did not hear : "It's on me."

What I did hear: "I know I have to be at this thing but I'd rather be working on making this team better."
Yep, said it very plainly...

O'Brien: Can't wait to get going and put together a winning team, which we will have, for the city of Houston.
Old 01-03-2014   #884
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

So, what kind of D are we running next year, coach???

OB: Okay, Bob you run a skinny post; Cushing you run a curl; Myers, you stay in and block.

On three. Ready, break!
This is just a bad look for these guys to be at the press conference. They're probably representing their units as leaders but it looks like the first brown-nosers to welcome the new boss to the office.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #885
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
This is just a bad look for these guys to be at the press conference. They're probably representing their units as leaders but it looks like the first brown-nosers to welcome the new boss to the office.
I disagree. I see it as the ambassador for each unit representing themselves in approval of the hiring. You can't have all 50+ guys there.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #886
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I missed the presser. How long is usually before the Texans air the rerun? I wanna hear me some Coach 0.
Introduction: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...1-c3659b71d521

OB statement: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...a-4895e7ccfe35

Mini pre Q&A: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...9-0ec82d17cff1

A few Q & As: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...c-ee7d1d7c9575
Old 01-03-2014   #887
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Woa. I thought I was the only one who saw them there and thought: ass-kissers.

Lol.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #888
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I disagree. I see it as the ambassador for each unit representing themselves in approval of the hiring. You can't have all 50+ guys there.
Lol. In "approval" of the hiring? There's no "approval" needed by the players. Most of them should be shaking in their cleats.

I'm assuming you meant in "support" of the hiring?

Either way, to me, it looked odd to have them there.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #889
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Lol. In "approval" of the hiring? There's no "approval" needed by the players. Most of them should be shaking in their cleats.

I'm assuming you meant in "support" of the hiring?

Either way, to me, it looked odd to have them there.
Yes support is a much better way of putting it.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #890
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is this, third grade? It's not brown-nosing to meet the new boss. They're adults.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #891
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
What is this, third grade? It's not brown-nosing to meet the new boss. They're adults.
I agree completely. Ridiculous comments about brown-nosing. I value the guys being there. Shows leadership and desire to get better.
TexansFight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #892
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
I agree completely. Ridiculous comments about brown-nosing. I value the guys being there. Shows leadership and desire to get better.
TBH, if I were a Texans player, I'd want to be there too. This is a huge change for the Texans, and I'd be excited to meet the new guy. But it would be a zoo if all the players showed up.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
Old 01-03-2014   #893
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 91406 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Wow Jen and I agree on something....

These guys weren't ass-kissing the new boss. They are excited for a change and wanted to be part of it. I'd like to see every man under contract up there somewhere waiting to get some insight from the coach on what their role will be and where they can improve.
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #894
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

If Matt Schaub showed up though, THAT would be brown-nosing!
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #895
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see it as brown-nosing either but rather, "Oh, yeah? So you're the new guy? What are you going to do for me?"

Cush has already said he's wondering about what type of defense he's going to be playing in next year and you know Myers is wondering if there's going to be a change in the line scheme that's going to leave him on the street looking for a job. And apparently, BOB has already met with JJ.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #896
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
Wow Jen and I agree on something....

These guys weren't ass-kissing the new boss. They are excited for a change and wanted to be part of it. I'd like to see every man under contract up there somewhere waiting to get some insight from the coach on what their role will be and where they can improve.

I think the guy is thrilled at the chance . He took a major leap of faith taking the PSU job and did well and now he gets to do what he seems to have wanted . This seems to be more exceptional when you consider all the retreads .

On a side note Lombardi didn't get a chance to coach until later on in his career . It wasn't until Green Bay was turned down again by a coach that someone recommended Vince . In the book " When Pride Still Mattered " Lombardi said it was because he was a Sicilian Catholic .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #897
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

So the doofus on the far left up on the dais is Cal McNair? What does he do, exactly? And why do they put a microphone in front of someone who never speaks?

Old 01-03-2014   #898
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
0-8
How many of those also worked for Bill Parcells and should be considered dead branches on his tree, as well?

Some asst. coaches just aren't cut out to be head coaches. They often go back to being coordinators and find great success. Dom Capers and Kevin Gilbride are classic examples, among many others.

O'Brien's career trajectory has clearly been toward a head coaching gig in the NFL. He's obviously not content to be an asst. coach or even a college head coach. I think his resume speaks toward ambition. Hopefully, he'll be the first Belichick branch to bear fruit.
Old 01-03-2014   #899
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

What's taking so long for somebody to upload the Bill O'Brien presser on youtube? Should be easier to find than having to track it down from the official site. I'm trying to share it with some friends who didn't see it live this morning on CSN Houston or the NFL Network.
Old 01-03-2014   #900
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Is that Arian with the backward cap in the picture with McNair, Meyers, OB and Cushing?

2. Vandermeer posted a picture on Twitter of Chris Myers in the audience at the intro presser. Thought that was interesting. He seems to be very involved here (e.g. OB mentioned he was one of the first Texans he met). Kind of puts a thought in the back of my mind that he is eyeing coaching at some point. Is that misguided?

3. What's up with all of the shaved heads? Is that the new "thing"?

4. I found it fascinating how OB could be abrasive and charming all at the same time. Maybe I'm just not used to yankees, but he totally pulled it off.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read