Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2014   #861
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm not that worried about what Penn State people are like right now. The way I see it that's a seriously confused bunch of folks up there and I even sort of understand why. The runaway cult of JoePa is the fault of the school and the people who got fired and charged with crimes were the ones who should have been fired and charged with crimes. The average lifelong Penn State fan who's still clinging to legend I feel mostly sorry for (but really want no part of).

They've got a warped sense of perspective because they were fed the fairy tale for so long and bought into it. Think about that guys longevity for a moment. 44 years the head coach and figurehead of that school is amazing. 409 wins (before many were vacated) and a pair of national championships. If you wanted to sell the fans of a college football team a fairy tale you would have a hard time doing better than that.

Then in a relatively short time they find out that what they could see and what they'd been told was in stark contrast to what the man had failed to do when the time came to "walk the walk".

I think those long time Penn State fans are going to be screwed up about the Joe Paterno myth for a long, long time. They're very similar to Alabama fans and their attachment to Bear Bryant but the scandal seems to have twisted their attachment to JoePa all out of perspective.

Getting back to the topic O'Brien is fortunate to be getting out of there and I think he knows it. Coaches who followed Bear Bryant at Alabama walked into a losing situation for decades. Coaches who follow Paterno are in the same boat but the boat is full of crazy people without life jackets.
I don't know much about how Bryant went out at 'Bama but I do know that the JoeBots in Happy Valley seem to have this warped sense of self entitlement that they shouldn't have to go through a coach using their school as a stepping stone, or any of that stuff that normally happens in CFB. It will be really funny the first time they have a coach leave them for some other B1G team.

Those people were obsessed over crap like "NO NAMES ON THE JERSEYS" and "POWER RUNNING GAME" and they probably won't ever let a coach run his own system if it looks too different than what JoePa was doing in the 80's.
Old 01-03-2014   #862
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
My wife's boss is a PSU grad and he was upset that Bill left them high and dry . Bill couldn't please the JoePa faction and I bet it goes deeper than that . Bill has two young sons . I bet it turns his stomach when he tries to do what's right and at the same time these creeps keep hounding him . I bet it hits pretty close to home with what happened and protecting his own boys .
Your wife's boss should thank the stars that the rest of the country didn't go up there and burn that university to the freaking ground.

The NCAA had decided on the death penalty for Penn State, but, the president basically cut a deal and begged them not to do it. The president of Penn State was just doing his job, but, I still say that program should have been shut down. Penn State fans and alumni don't "get it." The only way to get them to wake up is to see them w/out football.

And it's funny to me how they can bash Bill O'Brien, when he's the one who saved that freaking football team.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #863
Foxboro Steve
Veteran

Section: Gillette: 102, row 24 seat 5
Rep Power: 4106 Foxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
Foxboro Steve, what is your opinion of the hire?
First, I am not one to tell you how great BB's coaching tree is. The list of assistants who have left Foxboro and gone on to fail as HC's is long. Still, 7-5 at Penn State is respectable, considering his hands were so tied. I'd like to see a bit more on his record before I handed him the keys to the car.

If he were replacing BB, I'd be very, very skeptical. I am not saying it's not a good hire, merely that I feel he's still a bit of an unknown as a head man.
Old 01-03-2014   #864
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Enjoyed O'Brien's presser. Already a noticeable difference between him and Kubes. Glad he shut down some of the dumber questions.
Agreed. Most of 'em were treating it like one of the Kubiak pressers where they were all trying to be buddies with the guy.

I hope he toughens the media up around here so that they're not afraid to bust his balls. I'm pretty sure he can take it.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #865
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't know much about how Bryant went out at 'Bama but I do know that the JoeBots in Happy Valley seem to have this warped sense of self entitlement that they shouldn't have to go through a coach using their school as a stepping stone, or any of that stuff that normally happens in CFB. It will be really funny the first time they have a coach leave them for some other B1G team.

Those people were obsessed over crap like "NO NAMES ON THE JERSEYS" and "POWER RUNNING GAME" and they probably won't ever let a coach run his own system if it looks too different than what JoePa was doing in the 80's.
He retired in 1982 after 25 years as the HC at Alabama with the (then) record for wins in college football and 6 national championships. He basically walked on water and could do no wrong. He died shortly after that of a heart attack whereupon his soul ascended to heaven to coach God almighty's football team (composed entirely of deceased Alabama players). His office is right across the hall from God's and most likely closer (and a bit bigger) than the one Jesus uses.
Old 01-03-2014   #866
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
O'Brian looks like a detective on a TV show.
This guy?

Old 01-03-2014   #867
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I missed the presser. How long is usually before the Texans air the rerun? I wanna hear me some Coach 0.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #868
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I really liked Matt Jackson's question about McNair's HC and NFL experience requirements. I also liked McNair's explanation about the requirements.
Agreed, except that in typical Matt Jackson fashion, he got his fact wrong when he stated 9 of 12 coaches wouldn't meet the criteria, and used Jim Harbaugh as an example. McNair called him on Harbaugh, and the actual number is 7 of 12.

As you might be able to tell, I'm not a big Matt Jackson fan.
Old 01-03-2014   #869
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
He retired in 1982 after 25 years as the HC at Alabama with the (then) record for wins in college football and 6 national championships. He basically walked on water and could do no wrong. He died shortly after that of a heart attack whereupon his soul ascended to heaven to coach God almighty's football team (composed entirely of deceased Alabama players). His office is right across the hall from God's and most likely closer (and a bit bigger) than the one Jesus uses.
Better than covering up for a kiddie fiddler.
Old 01-03-2014   #870
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I missed the presser. How long is usually before the Texans air the rerun? I wanna hear me some Coach 0.
Usually takes em a couple of hours at least but I wouldn't be surprised if this one was quicker due to the importance.
Old 01-03-2014   #871
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Agreed, except that in typical Matt Jackson fashion, he got his fact wrong when he stated 9 of 12 coaches wouldn't meet the criteria, and used Jim Harbaugh as an example. McNair called him on Harbaugh, and the actual number is 7 of 12.

As you might be able to tell, I'm not a big Matt Jackson fan.
Yes and according to Harbaugh's wiki he did indeed coach at the NFL level as a QB coach for Oakland 2002-2003, I know Matt argued otherwise briefly before the press conference moved on to another question. The general premise is sound though, no reason to limit the candidates to a specific set of criteria, just make the best hire possible. In this case I believe we got it right in the end.
Old 01-03-2014   #872
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Better than covering up for a kiddie fiddler.
No doubt. They have the same kind of hero-worship thing going on though.

Similarity ends there.
Old 01-03-2014   #873
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxboro Steve View Post
First, I am not one to tell you how great BB's coaching tree is. The list of assistants who have left Foxboro and gone on to fail as HC's is long.
0-8
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #874
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Yes and according to Harbaugh's wiki he did indeed coach at the NFL level as a QB coach for Oakland 2002-2003, I know Matt argued otherwise briefly before the press conference moved on to another question. The general premise is sound though, no reason to limit the candidates to a specific set of criteria, just make the best hire possible. In this case I believe we got it right in the end.
Jim Harbaugh played in the NFL for 15 years, his brother John, had no Head Coach or coordinator experience. Bob choose to overlook Jim in 2010 and to keep Kubiak and hire Wade. I see a similar thought process this go round.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #875
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Jim Harbaugh played in the NFL for 15 years, his brother John, had no Head Coach or coordinator experience.
Technically John was a Special Teams Coordinator.
Old 01-03-2014   #876
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

So, what kind of D are we running next year, coach???

OB: Okay, Bob you run a skinny post; Cushing you run a curl; Myers, you stay in and block.

On three. Ready, break!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #877
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

OB: Okay, Bob you run a skinny post; Cushing you run a curl; Myers, you stay in and block. On three. Ready, go!
Cush ... let's go grab a bottle of Jameson and talk football .
Old 01-03-2014   #878
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
seriously, what's the point of having Cal McNair in any press conference?
To hold helmets in the opposite direction of everyone else.

We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #879
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

OB: Okay, Bob you run a skinny post; Cushing you run a curl; Myers, you stay in and block.

On three. Ready, break!
Wow, McNair is not a small dude. Never would have thought he was anywhere near that size.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #880
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Technically John was a Special Teams Coordinator.
Correct, and technically, he's not one of the 12 coaches MJ was talking about since he's not in the playoffs this season.

But if the point is he wouldn't have met the Texans criteria, that's correct - he would not have.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read