Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-02-2014   #1
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL should be alarmed that three of four playoff games still not sold out

Quote:
NFL should be alarmed that three of four playoff games, including Green Bay's home game, still not sold out

It would be a tremendous embarrassment to the league to have three of four playoff games blacked out locally, and likely, the tickets will get sold somehow to avoid that scenario. But there's a bigger issue here. Is this the most stark example that NFL fans aren't too excited to go to games anymore?

Full story
I have no doubt that all of these games will be sold out by the deadline (even if they have to extend the blackout deadlines). No way does NFL, Inc. allow any playoff games get blacked out for the home team(s).

But, interesting that three out of four still have available tickets just days before the games. That's not something we see in Houston for a variety of reasons. We might be wishy washy, but when it's on, IT'S ON!!
Old 01-02-2014   #2
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL should be alarmed that three of four playoff games still not sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I have no doubt that all of these games will be sold out by the deadline (even if they have to extend the blackout deadlines). No way does NFL, Inc. allow any playoff games get blacked out for the home team(s).

But, interesting that three out of four still have available tickets just days before the games. That's not something we see in Houston for a variety of reasons. We might be wishy washy, but when it's on, IT'S ON!!
What are some of the prices of these tickets, and I'll let you know whether or not I'd be that excited too.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #3
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL should be alarmed that three of four playoff games still not sold out

Just read somewhere that the 49ers-Packers is going to be played at -26C !?

Don't think I'd be venturing out in that weather no matter what the event :o
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #4
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Just read somewhere that the 49ers-Packers is going to be played at -26C !?

Don't think I'd be venturing out in that weather no matter what the event :o
I'm hoping we see that kind of weather in this years SB in Jersey. There def might be some no-shows.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
What are some of the prices of these tickets, and I'll let you know whether or not I'd be that excited too.
I think most are going anywhere from the low $100's to mid $300's at face value. Tack on the crazy parking prices, $8 beer, etc, I don't blame anyone for preferring to stay home in a warm house with HD TV.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm hoping we see that kind of weather in this years SB in Jersey. There def might be some no-shows.
You and me both, man. I'll admit to a little mischievous schadenfreude in my attitude. It's not the average fan in the stands at Super Bowls, so seeing all those celebrities trying to act like real football fans would be as entertaining as whatever goofy halftime show they trot out there.
Old 01-02-2014   #7
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
Mid level endzone for 103 bucks a ticket, in pairs. That's damn reasonable for a playoff game.
Old 01-02-2014   #8
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Honestly. why would someone pay hundred or thousands of dollars just to sit in 35 below weather. It doesn't surprise me at all. Just look at the weather forecast.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #9
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is the affect of what i believe to be the NFL turning the sport into a powder puff league. Hell i love the texans but i have lost most if not all interest in the NFL in general. These guys make millions to play a game, if i spend thousands i want to see players knock the **** out of eachother.

And yada yada about player safety, these guys know what they are getting into when the choose the NFL as their career, same as a soldier knows what he his getting himself into when he enlists. Only difference is these players make way more than the people defending our country !
Old 01-02-2014   #10
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
This is the affect of what i believe to be the NFL turning the sport into a powder puff league. Hell i love the texans but i have lost most if not all interest in the NFL in general. These guys make millions to play a game, if i spend thousands i want to see players knock the **** out of eachother.

And yada yada about player safety, these guys know what they are getting into when the choose the NFL as their career, same as a soldier knows what he his getting himself into when he enlists. Only difference is these players make way more than the people defending our country !
The wage athletes make have no connection to our service men/women and their wages. It's silly to even bring it up.
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It really shouldn't suprise anyone that these 3 games aren't sold out.

Green Bay: Weather.com says it will be a high of -5 degrees on Sunday. Yeah, good luck finding 80,000+ people that want to pay hundreds of dollars to enjoy that game. Remember the Philly/Detroit game earlier this year? They had about 1000 people in the stands by the start of the 4th quarter. Sorry, but open-air stadiums in cold climates are going to be a problem. At least they aren't hosting the Super Bowl or anything...

Cincy: The Bengals have had trouble selling out their stadium for a while now. Even now that they are good, they still can't sell it out. Weather is a high of 34 degrees that day with an 80% chance of snow. Yeah... good luck again.

Indy: Well I don't know about this one. It's indoor, and they have a fighting chance of beating the Chiefs. Maybe too many of the fans left with Peyton. Beats me, I guess Indy just sucks.
Old 01-03-2014   #12
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dutch, am I right in thinking that cincy's problems have a lot to do with geographical location causing issues with the city's loyalty?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

Cincy: The Bengals have had trouble selling out their stadium for a while now. Even now that they are good, they still can't sell it out. Weather is a high of 34 degrees that day with an 80% chance of snow. Yeah... good luck again.
Folks in that part of the country shouldn't have too much trouble with the upper 20's to low 30's even with snow. It's not that extreme (as opposed to Green Bay which is freakin' ridiculous). They've got a darn good chance of seeing their first playoff victory in 23 years. So yeah, maybe it's not a surprise, but it's still a crappy reflection on the Bengals, their fans, and the NFL.
Old 01-03-2014   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Honestly. why would someone pay hundred or thousands of dollars just to sit in 35 below weather. It doesn't surprise me at all. Just look at the weather forecast.
Well, the Packers already have 72,000 seats sold when the article was written (Wednesday), so perhaps you'd have to ask those folks.

Why would someone do it? Because it's fun. Yeah, weather is brutal, but NFL playoffs are special events that simply cannot be felt at home. I'd do it if I lived in Green Bay and had the money. The elements certainly would not be a reason not to go for me.

Update on the article: The Colts have sold out, but the Packers and Bengals are still selling them. Like I predicted, NFL extension granted, and Green Bay has 1000 seats currently left.

Colts sell out game, avoid blackout

Someone will step up and buy the tickets.

Bigger picture is that fans are starting to choose the comforts of home and big HD television screens over going to the game, and that's understandable when you look at ticket prices. I would still be a season ticket holder for the Texans if I could afford it. But family first, and that's just life.
Old 01-03-2014   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Dutch, am I right in thinking that cincy's problems have a lot to do with geographical location causing issues with the city's loyalty?
Dunno, never been there, though I do want to go sometime and check out the bourbon distilleries and Creation Science Museum. Being from Cleveland, I can tell you that the rest of Ohio generally considers Cincy to be part of Kentucky. Kind of like how Houston fans call Dallas "South Oklahoma." Obviously it's a joke, but the sentiment is there.

Cincy is also a very small market in general. The metro population does help a bit, but the city itself is one of the bottom 5 in population among NFL cities. And they have never had the fan loyalty of a team like Green Bay. Couple that with the weather, doubled or more ticket prices for the playoffs, parking passes, and insane concession stand prices, and you end up with empty seats.
Old 01-03-2014   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
The wage athletes make have no connection to our service men/women and their wages. It's silly to even bring it up.
That wasn't the connection. The connection was knowing what you were getting yourself into when you signed up.

True - The wages are nowhere near the same, nor is the prerequisite talent level. (This from a guy with Officers and noncoms throughout his family)
Old 01-03-2014   #17
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
That wasn't the connection. The connection was knowing what you were getting yourself into when you signed up.

True - The wages are nowhere near the same, nor is the prerequisite talent level. (This from a guy with Officers and noncoms throughout his family)

Rules are changing to protect a business from lawsuits not because players dont want to knock the crap out of each other
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #18
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Packers game is sold out; a group of local businesses got together and bought the remaining tix.
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Rules are changing to protect a business from lawsuits not because players dont want to knock the crap out of each other
yep, players all admit to the inherent dangers and willingly accept those risks.

I think rules are also changing to protect the commodities that fans pay to see: starting caliber QBs.

And let's face it, the NFL has always been evolving toward a passing dominant league. Anyone that denies the on-going trend is ignoring the rather obvious history of the league for the past century.

Scoring puts butts in the seats and players that do it sell merchandise. It's basic business strategy stuff, but some folks would rather live in an illusion/delusion about so-called "integrity of the game".

Would people really watch this game if it was still "three downs and a cloud of dust", circa 1906? Talk about a boring sport.
Old 01-03-2014   #20
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, the Packers already have 72,000 seats sold when the article was written (Wednesday), so perhaps you'd have to ask those folks.

Why would someone do it? Because it's fun. Yeah, weather is brutal, but NFL playoffs are special events that simply cannot be felt at home. I'd do it if I lived in Green Bay and had the money. The elements certainly would not be a reason not to go for me.

Update on the article: The Colts have sold out, but the Packers and Bengals are still selling them. Like I predicted, NFL extension granted, and Green Bay has 1000 seats currently left.

Colts sell out game, avoid blackout

Someone will step up and buy the tickets.

Bigger picture is that fans are starting to choose the comforts of home and big HD television screens over going to the game, and that's understandable when you look at ticket prices. I would still be a season ticket holder for the Texans if I could afford it. But family first, and that's just life.
I think in addition to the monetary commitment, especially when considering season tickets, is the time commitment.

I mean, between commuting, parking, tailgating, and traffic on the way out, you are talking about your entire Sunday. And if it's a late game, that is going to likely bleed into Monday due to lack of sleep.

I have a close relative who is a (well off) business owner and has contemplated season tickets for the past couple of seasons. He can afford it as far as the pocketbook goes, but he can't seem to muster the time commitment of it.

So, even if you can get past the huge expense this hobby is, time might not permit.

I don't imagine this is something that is going to get any easier for the NFL.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read