Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2014   #261
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Work ethic translates regardless of what conference you play in.
And who says Manziel has bad work ethic?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #262
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Just because you work your ass of at something doesnt mean you will be the best at it, and it dont mean you will ever actually be good at it.

I'm not saying the boy will fail, i'm not saying he will succeed, all i am saying is we all know there is no gurantee that college success will translate to NFL success.
Whoa, that's pretty deep. Just making sure I'm reading correctly, college success doesn't ALWAYS mean that they'll be good in the NFL? That really changes my mind, we need to draft someone with NFL experience then, obviously!
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #263
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
Wow, that's some perspective to have. There's plenty of very good NFL players from smaller schools. Should I remind you of the big school players that suck balls?
I agree, and we have seen average players in college become superstars in the NFL. The draft is like battleship its either hit or miss. And i'm sorry but as texans fans we have had a lot of misses.
Old 01-02-2014   #264
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just because you work your ass of at something doesnt mean you will be the best at it, and it dont mean you will ever actually be good at it.

I'm not saying the boy will fail, i'm not saying he will succeed, all i am saying is we all know there is no gurantee that college success will translate to NFL success.
Agree. At the same time, playing against poor competition doesn't mean his talent won't translate to the NFL. He has shown up and played great against the good competition he has faced.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #265
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Whoa, that's pretty deep. Just making sure I'm reading correctly, college success doesn't ALWAYS mean that they'll be good in the NFL? That really changes my mind, we need to draft someone with NFL experience then, obviously!
HAHA come on now, you all act like i am trying to tell you all something you dont know and then being smart asses about it. I am just seeing a lot of people here who are pinning Bridgewater as the next great thing to come out of college. Just trying to keep it all in perspective for them.
Old 01-02-2014   #266
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
This concerned me when it happened:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...g-quarterback/
Old 01-02-2014   #267
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Agree. At the same time, playing against poor competition doesn't mean his talent won't translate to the NFL. He has shown up and played great against the good competition he has faced.
But that competition was still college competition, in the NFL the LBs, the CBs, the Dline and Safties are all faster. The NFL is the best of the best players from all over the country. And thats why a lot of succesful college athletes have trouble translating to the NFL. The game is so much faster.

I am not saying anything everyone dont already know. I am just really skeptical about Bridgewater is all.
Old 01-02-2014   #268
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But that competition was still college competition, in the NFL the LBs, the CBs, the Dline and Safties are all faster. The NFL is the best of the best players from all over the country. And thats why a lot of succesful college athletes have trouble translating to the NFL. The game is so much faster.

I am not saying anything everyone dont already know. I am just really skeptical about Bridgewater is all.
I'm skeptical as well, but he played extremely well against Florida, Miami, and UCF. I really don't think the competition argument has any merit.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-02-2014   #269
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Quote:

You're skeptical about Bridgewater but you're on board with Hundley? Ok...
Old 01-02-2014   #270
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Well I didn't for one, so not sure why you're quoting me. If you want my opinion though.....

Bridgewater has been praised for being a film junkie and as someone who is always looking for ways to improve as a QB. He studies non-stop off the field to get better command of the offense. I haven't heard people say similar things about Manziel.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-02-2014   #271
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Work ethic translates regardless of what conference you play in.
To a point. If the raw talent isn't there, all the work ethic in the world won't make you a star. (Think all the praise Wade had for Shiloh Keo)

Quote:
Wow, that's some perspective to have. There's plenty of very good NFL players from smaller schools. Should I remind you of the big school players that suck balls?
It CAN happen, but it's a longshot.

Quote:
In total, 33 players from small colleges (FCS, D2, D3, and NAIA) made the 53 man NFL Rosters.
Link

33 out of...1696

Quote:
Well I didn't for one, so not sure why you're quoting me. If you want my opinion though.....

Bridgewater has been praised for being a film junkie and as someone who is always looking for ways to improve as a QB. He studies non-stop off the field to get better command of the offense. I haven't heard people say similar things about Manziel.
Really? How about from the start?
Old 01-02-2014   #272
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
That's from his own coaches. I haven't heard people outside the program say as much. With Bridgewater, you hear about it from every scout or media analyst who has spent time with him.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-02-2014   #273
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

If our next QB didn't wear the #8 that would make me very happy. I say we just go ahead and retire that thing for the next few years altogether.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #274
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
To a point. If the raw talent isn't there, all the work ethic in the world won't make you a star. (Think all the praise Wade had for Shiloh Keo)

It CAN happen, but it's a longshot.

Link

33 out of...1696

Really? How about from the start?
John Unitas went to Louisville .
Old 01-02-2014   #275
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93630 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Ill take the young kid with the Astros hat! Fate is funny isn't it?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #276
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
EU didn't say anything about smaller schools. It was mentioned that no one ran a pro style offense as well as Bridgewater did. EU was just reminding them that was against college defenses. Not small school defenses, college defenses. Just because he ran a pro offense better than any other college QB doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL & it doesn't mean he can do it better than someone like Hundley.

We don't know how well Hundley can run a pro offense, because he was never asked to. Bridgewater may be better at it today than Hundley, but who's to say it will be that way 10 years from now?

For some reason a lot of people thought Tim Couch would be able to run an NFL offense better than Donovan McNabb, but it didn't work out that way.
Old 01-03-2014   #277
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
But add in potential off field distractions (they WILL happen!) and Teddy is our guy.
What off field distractions?

He likes pretty women and drinking. What 20 yr old kid doesn;t.

Or are you jealous that his family can afford him to play outside the NCAA guidelines. He can do anything he wants the rest of his life. Guess what he did this offseason? Worrked out with QB guru George Whitfield.

Quit listening to ESPN and actually look at JM as a player.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #278
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Teddy Touchdown.
Old 01-03-2014   #279
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
This is going to be an ugly offseason!
Yep that's how it is when your team stinks , needs a QB and the best QB is barely a 1st rd pick in a good yr and you have a generational DE.

Some people can never learn. See the Carr/Peppers fiasco repeating itself.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #280
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Something tells me there's going to be a huge push as the draft approaches for Manziel's name to be called #1. He seems like everything BOB would despise, but I almost, ALMOST, kind of would like to see it happen.

I would hate to pass up on him and let him go on to be the next great thing in the league which is what I think might happen.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read