Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-05-2013   #61
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tajh Boyd

58% completion percentage, 7.3 yards per attempt. 8 TD to 13 interceptions, 30 sacks, and 6 fumbles (3 lost) is not good. That's Geno Smith. He has the lowest rating of all starting QBs in the NFL at 71.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #62
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62893 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
With 15 seconds left, The ball at the Jets 45, Smith ran for 10 to the Bucs 45.
The Bucs committed a stupid 15-yd penalty that have the Jets the ball at the 30.
Folk made a 48-yd FG to win the game.
If you call that a winning drive; it's your choice.

The Bills gave the game away despite two INTs by Smith.

The Falcons also gave the game away; they aren't much better off than the Texans in this regard.

The Pats played an uncharacteristic game.
The Jets missed a 56yd FG, but the Pats committed a 15-yd penalty to give the Jets a first down.
Eleven consecutive run plays on that drive, including a one-yard loss by Smith brought about a 42yd winning FG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Then Geno Smith obviously didn't play well enough in the first 3 quarters. Same with Luck. He was a well below average QB on Sunday night...until the 4th. That is a terribly overrated stat.
Quote:
If you think 13 INTs (including 3 pick-sixes) as the definition of a franchise QB, then more power to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
58% completion percentage, 7.3 yards per attempt. 8 TD to 13 interceptions, 30 sacks, and 6 fumbles (3 lost) is not good. That's Geno Smith. He has the lowest rating of all starting QBs in the NFL at 71.
Tough Crowd....he's a rookie with only 8 career NFL starts
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #63
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Tough Crowd....he's a rookie with only 8 career NFL starts
Is this supposed to sway people over to the side of Geno being a franchise QB? Because it's not really that convincing if it is.
Old 11-05-2013   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There's no ifs and buts for me.
You like Geno Smith 13 INTs; I can't stop you.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #65
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62893 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Is this supposed to sway people over to the side of Geno being a franchise QB? Because it's not really that convincing if it is.
Quote:
Today, the Jets qualify for the playoffs as a 6th seed in the AFC.
Old 11-05-2013   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Btw, Texian,

My top four guys in the last draft, including Geno, were drafted the highest.
It doesn't mean squat really, but I do know about them.
The two dark horses were Dysert and Bray.

Each of them has certain quality and certain deficiency; I don't see any of them as a better prospect than Keenum, unlike the previous year.
Old 11-05-2013   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Today, the Jets qualify for the playoffs as a 6th seed in the AFC.
You're weird sometimes.
Are we evaluating teams, coaches, or individual talents?

Please let me know which one we're talking about.
Old 11-06-2013   #68
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
With 15 seconds left, The ball at the Jets 45, Smith ran for 10 to the Bucs 45.
The Bucs committed a stupid 15-yd penalty that have the Jets the ball at the 30.
Folk made a 48-yd FG to win the game.
If you call that a winning drive; it's your choice.

The Bills gave the game away despite two INTs by Smith.

The Falcons also gave the game away; they aren't much better off than the Texans in this regard.

The Pats played an uncharacteristic game.
The Jets missed a 56yd FG, but the Pats committed a 15-yd penalty to give the Jets a first down.
Eleven consecutive run plays on that drive, including a one-yard loss by Smith brought about a 42yd winning FG.
You have a pattern of cherry picking when confronted about a player. That's clear when you talk about players you're in love with or vice versa. I'll be the 1st to say geno has been more cold than hot. I'm not making excuses,but who is he throwing to? I agree the pats win was fluke-ish,but when you say the bills gave the game away,that's your cherry picking. I'm guessing you didn't see the 2 bombs he threw from the pocket under pressure? No play action boot to get his feet clean. Just a 5 step drop,man in his face and hit both hil and and holmes in stride.

See,this is where we differ on what we look for in a qb. I personally want a qb who can succeed without having to be schemed. Maybe you like others want a qb the opposite. To say after 2 games or going back to your evaluations that neither boyd or geno are upgrades, doesn't really hold weight. That's your opinion,but I always like to say only time tells. So you can bring your radar gun theory or your still footage to show jackson is a good cornerback,that's your thing. I hope as a texans fan case play continues.
Old 11-06-2013   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
You have a pattern of cherry picking when confronted about a player. That's clear when you talk about players you're in love with or vice versa. I'll be the 1st to say geno has been more cold than hot. I'm not making excuses,but who is he throwing to? I agree the pats win was fluke-ish,but when you say the bills gave the game away,that's your cherry picking. I'm guessing you didn't see the 2 bombs he threw from the pocket under pressure? No play action boot to get his feet clean. Just a 5 step drop,man in his face and hit both hil and and holmes in stride.

See,this is where we differ on what we look for in a qb. I personally want a qb who can succeed without having to be schemed. Maybe you like others want a qb the opposite. To say after 2 games or going back to your evaluations that neither boyd or geno are upgrades, doesn't really hold weight. That's your opinion,but I always like to say only time tells. So you can bring your radar gun theory or your still footage to show jackson is a good cornerback,that's your thing. I hope as a texans fan case play continues.
We can differ on our takes, but by your own standard; ie. you want a franchise QB, Geno Smith isn't one; even the Jets coaching staff said so.
There's an article somewhere on the net.
Old 11-06-2013   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Here's the article, you can read for yourself:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...o_develop.html
Old 11-06-2013   #71
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not comparing the two, but Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs his rookie year. Just because there are a lot of rookie QBs finding success early on as of late doesn't mean we should condemn the ones who don't just blow up from the get-go.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #72
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I'm not comparing the two, but Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs his rookie year. Just because there are a lot of rookie QBs finding success early on as of late doesn't mean we should condemn the ones who don't just blow up from the get-go.
He also threw 26 touchdowns. They basically have the same INT per attempt %, but Smith has 2.9% TDs per attempt while Peyton had 4.5%. This is also 15 years ago when the rules were not as slanted toward the offense.
Old 11-06-2013   #73
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I just like to mess with Leebigz sometimes, LOL.

He irked me by claiming that Keenum is not an NFL QB even before the guy play a single down.
He also calls Keenum's game against the Chiefs just OK; it's only normal that I call a 2-pick game by Geno against the Bills a ho-hum; those picks could have hurt the Jets, if not for some blunders by the Bills.

Don't forget that Geno and Case run pretty much the same offense.
Holgorsen, the HC at W. Virginia was the OC for the Cougars, when he combine his air raid offense with Briles' version.
They also had the same QB coach.

I can say that I know their games quite well.
Also, Smith was one of the 3 QBs from last year class that I think as having a chance to become a starting QB in the NFL, but I have Manuel the highest upside.
Smith is next and Barkley third.
(This is somewhat close to Leebigz' evaluation.)

I also gave Glennon a fighting chance.
Dysert I saw as a long shot, and Bray as having talent but with red flag for his behavior.
Old 11-07-2013   #74
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We can differ on our takes, but by your own standard; ie. you want a franchise QB, Geno Smith isn't one; even the Jets coaching staff said so.
There's an article somewhere on the net.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
He also threw 26 touchdowns. They basically have the same INT per attempt %, but Smith has 2.9% TDs per attempt while Peyton had 4.5%. This is also 15 years ago when the rules were not as slanted toward the offense.
You know how it takes a new OC with a new Offensive system 2 years to fully implement and completely install the new offense? Kind of like how it took Alex Gibbs 2 years to install his ZBS and how it took the OL 2 years to completely understand and learn Gibb's system. That's the same reason you need to give a rookie QB 30 NFL starts (2 years) before you really know just how good or bad that rookie QB is going to be. Geno Smith has 8 starts as an NFL QB. I will venture to say he will be better after 30 starts. How much better? I don't know. That's why you have to give them at least 30 starts.
Old 11-07-2013   #75
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You know how it takes a new OC with a new Offensive system 2 years to fully implement and completely install the new offense? Kind of like how it took Alex Gibbs 2 years to install his ZBS and how it took the OL 2 years to completely understand and learn Gibb's system. That's the same reason you need to give a rookie QB 30 NFL starts (2 years) before you really know just how good or bad that rookie QB is going to be. Geno Smith has 8 starts as an NFL QB. I will venture to say he will be better after 30 starts. How much better? I don't know. That's why you have to give them at least 30 starts.
I'm not saying the case is closed on Geno Smith, just that he hasn't been good so far. He's been inconsistent and bad, in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2013   #76
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So when rex called sanchez a franchise qb despite have 0 special traits, how did u take those comments?
Old 01-02-2014   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Personally, I think he fits the Texans well. He can extend plays with his feet, he shows up in big games, he's tough, and he is a winner. He is inaccurate at times, but nothing that can't be corrected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
He is my #1 Senior QB. Strong, durable, can extend plays, performs better under pressure which is a reflection a top level competitor. So I would feel comfortable he could handle this city's expectations of what a QB should be, plug & play as new leader of a more dynamic Texan offense, especially in the red zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I like him a lot too .... easily the top SR QB in this class but I don't think the Texans pick will come up before his named is called unless they continue to underperform.
So has Boyd become a complete dud now? If the Texans were to take a non-QB with the #1 overall, then this guy later in the draft, would we have sufficiently "addressed" our QB situation?
Old 01-02-2014   #78
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So has Boyd become a complete dud now? If the Texans were to take a non-QB with the #1 overall, then this guy later in the draft, would we have sufficiently "addressed" our QB situation?
I don't think he's become a complete dud, but I did a review of him a couple months ago and was not impressed with what I saw. He strikes me as a good backup, or mediocre starter who will have moderate success depending on the team around him. I don't think he'll ever be the QB to carry his team to success. If the Texans took Boyd any earlier than the 3rd round then I'd be very disappointed and would expect them to address QB again the next year in the 1st round of 2015. There are better QB's to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of 2014. I'd rather have McCarron or Murray.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #79
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Boyd is a loser. I was all over the Boyd train and trying hard to believe and buy into a short QB because of RusWil and Brees thing, but this guy sucks.

He cost me an embarrassing bet with a friend and after that he is dead to me.

So, NO, he is not an answer if we get him late. Only QB I might gamble on 3rd round and later would be someone like David Fales. I will probably be on an island there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
If the Texans took Boyd any earlier than the 3rd round then I'd be very disappointed and would expect them to address QB again the next year in the 1st round of 2015.
I don't expect Boyd to get drafted until end of round 3 or round 4 unless he beasts out in the Orange Bowl which I doubt. He's probably gonna get his A handed to him.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #80
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Boyd is a loser. I was all over the Boyd train and trying hard to believe and buy into a short QB because of RusWil and Brees thing, but this guy sucks.

He cost me an embarrassing bet with a friend and after that he is dead to me.

So, NO, he is not an answer if we get him late. Only QB I might gamble on 3rd round and later would be someone like David Fales. I will probably be on an island there though.

I don't expect Boyd to get drafted until end of round 3 or round 4 unless he beasts out in the Orange Bowl which I doubt. He's probably gonna get his A handed to him.
I'm saying, boyd is a better prospect than a lot of these guys. Mettenburger,Mccarron is just a few. He has inconsistent footwork,but when he sets up properly, he throws good balls.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read