Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2014   #201
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Article written by Greg A. Bedard of MMQB on Teddy Bridgewater

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-...014-nfl-draft/

Quote:
Bridgewater has vast responsibility at the line of scrimmage. First there is the kill system. Two or three plays are called in the huddle. Depending on the defense, Bridgewater has the ability to “kill” the first play, and run one of the others. It’s solely Bridgewater’s decision. Bridgewater also has an audible system at his disposal, with the same goal as every good NFL system: stay out of bad plays. If the play Watson has called has little chance of success against a particular defense, Bridgewater can change the play entirely at the line of scrimmage.

Finally, Bridgewater redirects the offensive line protections by either identifying the middle linebacker in man-to-man protections, or directing the slide one way or the other in zone.
MistaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #202
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post

Interesting article. I've heard legends of such things from the elders, I believe they're called "audibles" or something like that. Though the concept of changing plays at the line of scrimmage is completely foreign to me I have heard that there is such a thing and that they can be used well, even. I'm glad Bridgewater seems to be able to handle those responsibilities and I'm pretty sure O'Brien might actually allow such a crazy idea like these new fangled "audibles" to be used.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #203
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127519 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we move out of the first pick and take brett hundley out of UCLA in the middle of the first. I like him better than bridgewater anyways.
Old 01-02-2014   #204
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40896 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

cutler re-signed with the bears, so he is out of the list now
Old 01-02-2014   #205
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Interesting article. I've heard legends of such things from the elders, I believe they're called "audibles" or something like that. Though the concept of changing plays at the line of scrimmage is completely foreign to me I have heard that there is such a thing and that they can be used well, even. I'm glad Bridgewater seems to be able to handle those responsibilities and I'm pretty sure O'Brien might actually allow such a crazy idea like these new fangled "audibles" to be used.
What is an "audible"? Is that part of the run, run, pass, punt offense that we use?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #206
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post

Very nice find and a great read. Didn't realize Bridgewater had so much authority over the offense. Speaks high for his football IQ. Will be interesting what other information comes out as we progress through the offseason.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #207
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
What is an "audible"? Is that part of the run, run, pass, punt offense that we use?
An audible is sometimes heard in the stands when a fan orders nachos & a beer then audibles "wait, make that two beers!"
Old 01-02-2014   #208
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I say we move out of the first pick and take brett hundley out of UCLA in the middle of the first. I like him better than bridgewater anyways.
I would do that or Bortles.
Old 01-02-2014   #209
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 385172 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

The Skinny On Teddy
By Greg A. Bedard | MMQB.SI
Quote:
In the coming months, as the 2014 draft nears, we will hear all about Teddy Bridgewater's lack of arm strength, size and other measurable qualities. But it's what is unseen that might propel the Louisville QB to be the No. 1 pick in May
Quote:
The inner belief in one’s ability. The never-ending quest for perfection at playing the position. An almost unhealthy competitive streak. The ability to lead. The desire not to be seen as being better than one’s teammate. Undeniable toughness.

Those are the traits that the great NFL quarterbacks have. Bridgewater possesses them as well. There will be much said over the next few months, in the run-up to the draft in May, about what Bridgewater might lack in prototypical arm strength, size and other things you can see. But he possesses the potential for greatness because of the things you can’t.
Bingo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #210
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Franky, after reading up on Bridgewater and his IQ, he sounds exactly like what O'Brien wants in a player.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #211
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I don't want to turn this into a draft thread, but....

Look at the mock drafts of past years, and you will find big discrepancies between those made in January and April. No one knows who will or will not be available in the mid-1st round. Evaulations between the coaching staffs and scouts haven't begun. Then there are the combine, pro days, interviews, and more evaluations.

However, I do think this is shaping up to be a good, if not great, QB class. So in theory, you're idea about moving around and taking a QB somewhere besides 1-1 has possibilities. But, we're a long time from knowing who goes where at this point.
Old 01-02-2014   #212
guichows6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
The Skinny On Teddy
By Greg A. Bedard | MMQB.SI
Bingo.
You can say the same thing about manziel though
Old 01-02-2014   #213
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163364 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichows6 View Post
But add in potential off field distractions (they WILL happen!) and Teddy is our guy.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #214
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is where one of those time machine things would be great. Go ahead 10 years, see which guy ends up being the best, where they fall in the draft and then come back trade down and take him.

If only life were like Madden.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #215
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the same guy who spent the entire offseason drunk and answering questions about whether football was his priority?
Old 01-02-2014   #216
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 385172 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes you can. No doubt. The kid is obnoxiously competitive. Everyone can see that. I have to read about it with Teddy.

More than anything else, I have to have that in my QB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #217
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Young Fool! Do not utter such nonsense aloud! The gods are not kind to those who mock them with talk of "audibles" and blasphemous statements about changes to plays. At the line? Are you mad?

Go from this place now and study your play script in great detail. GREAT DETAIL I say! (May it never change).

Then say 10 "Hail Shanahan's" and you will be forgiven.
Old 01-02-2014   #218
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think that you can, I have found nothing on Manziel about that kind of intelligence, or responsibility with the offense.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #219
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
the same guy who spent the entire offseason drunk and answering questions about whether football was his priority?
I don't care if you think he's the biggest douche on the planet, but when it's football time it's football time. Manziel is all football when it's football season. If he wants to Gronk it up the rest of the year I couldn't care less. Watch how he behaved on the sidelines on New Years Eve when A&M was down 38-17 to see how much he cares about football.

Disclaimer: I'm pulling for Bridgewater, not Manziel.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #220
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
That was the media doing more than Manziel. He worked out in the offseason like any other. He was on record of working with QB specialist George Whitfield as even Kirk Herbstreit was there as well. Just because someone takes some off time to do other things doesn't mean they didn't workout to make themselves better. You don't workout 24 hours a day after all. Not to mention his play was better than previously.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read