Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2014   #721
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
If that's the case, how many seasons/drafts does it take to get these scholars?
Hanging in the back of my mind as well is the "fiery, in your face", take no prisoners (my metaphor) attitude. It's been discussed on this board even regarding that MO not flying in the NFL. Schiano found that out post haste. Several folks here have mentioned the ass eating he gave Brady on the sideline and I guess that's cool. On occasion. I've read of him being a "bow hard hothead" on more than one occasion. Granted, some of those were probably monkey hurt PSU supporters who can't let go. My concern I suppose is how tempered is he with coming uncorked or does he fly off the handle because someone brings him coffee that's not the way he wants it.

Not bashing here but I think it's a legitimate question. Other opinions?

The question concerning not having players with a high football IQ is interesting because I had not really considered this a huge hole in the Texans game, but you may have something there. I do not know if you could coach-up some players to where they need to be? Retooling through the draft and FAs to improve in this area would take probably 3 years in my small mind.

A hardas* like the 'Chin' will be great for this organization. Good character is great, but no testicles and drive to dominate cannot be lost. Good enough is not good enough this time around. Schiano was an as*hat that alienated players by his decisions to screw players. I know there were at least two instances in Tampa where they placed players on the non-football injury list to save money. These decisions only eliminate FAs from wanting to come to your organization and breed distrust. Decisions like those are why Tampa jettisoned coach and GM. I do not think a disciplinarian who has the respect of players needs to worry too much about today's NFL. Who wants more little Nancy's on this team?

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #722
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I have never been this excited as a Texan fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yeah, this is the very first time I'm excited about who our HC is.
I was pretty excited when I found out our HC had taken an expansion team to the play offs in it's second year.

I was pretty excited when I found our our HC was going to bring an offense that was very difficult to stop & averaged among the top of the league.

I like the O'Brien hire. But only because I hope he'll bring innovation & motivation. However, I am concerned McNair brought O'Brien in because there have been several college coaches who've been exceptionally successful early in their coaching career.

I think that would have been a great idea after 2010, when we were much younger, like a college team.
Old 01-01-2014   #723
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Agreed. First thing in my mind is to extend JJ Watt! Do that then I'll listen to drafting Clowney #1 overall
Please explain. We've got three years before we have to spend any money on Watt. At least 5 before we have to spend any on Clowney.
Old 01-01-2014   #724
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If "our roster has been lacking (intelligence) over the years" does that mean we don't have players smart enough to adapt to O'B's 'think on the run' offense?
OB's offense is different, but it's not rocket science. Kubiak's offensive philosophy was criticized for being too "vanilla", but that had nothing to do with player's intelligence.

Quote:
My concern I suppose is how tempered is he with coming uncorked...
The man has a temper and needs to vent at times. Belichick has a temper and quietly cuts you. Many women I've dated got "overwhelmed" and needed to talk themselves down. Ditka, Jimmy Johnson had tempers. Bill Walsh, Tom Landry less so.

It's his process. Not right or wrong. People are different.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #725
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Nice article that brings to light some behind the scenes events that O'Brien dealt with which eventually led him to our Texans.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index...der_arriv.html
great find and thanks for posting. Good insight and want to salute the author who has enough integrity not to write something to just get attention.
Old 01-01-2014   #726
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

People can sit here and complain about the hiring of BOB all they want, but we went 2-14 this season and both our head coaches just stood there looking dumb founded while everything around them was crashing down.

SO.......atleast if we still suck now we will have a coach who will shove his foot so far up their million dollar asses they wont be able to sit down on the sofas at their mansion. Atleast we will have that if nothing else !
Old 01-01-2014   #727
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Firstly let me say I'm 100% on board and behind Bill O'Brien as our new Head Coach. Everything I've read and YouTube'd paints a man with drive, passion for the game and innovative ideas.

That leads me to ask about this: If "our roster has been lacking (intelligence) over the years" does that mean we don't have players smart enough to adapt to O'B's 'think on the run' offense? If that's the case, how many seasons/drafts does it take to get these scholars? That in and of itself doesn't ring well with me personally. I hope he can come in and make lemonade mucho pronto. (I hope this comes across in the spirit it's intended)

Hanging in the back of my mind as well is the "fiery, in your face", take no prisoners (my metaphor) attitude. It's been discussed on this board even regarding that MO not flying in the NFL. Schiano found that out post haste. Several folks here have mentioned the ass eating he gave Brady on the sideline and I guess that's cool. On occasion. I've read of him being a "bow hard hothead" on more than one occasion. Granted, some of those were probably monkey hurt PSU supporters who can't let go. My concern I suppose is how tempered is he with coming uncorked or does he fly off the handle because someone brings him coffee that's not the way he wants it.

Not bashing here but I think it's a legitimate question. Other opinions?
When I say that Houston has seemed to be short players at times with intelligence I guess what I'm trying to get across is that time and time again we've seen Texans players do just absolutely stupid stuff and put the team in a bad place. Things like extending opponents drives after getting a stop or killing their own drives with penalties for example. Failing to run the route correctly at times. Just "mistakes". Now I guess some of this is discipline but sometimes it's happened so often that I've wondered if the fool (of that particular moment) even understands what his job is on that play. Guys who can't keep it together and aren't mature enough to play smart instead of retaliating. That kind of thing.

When I watch bad teams play I see this kind of thing a lot. I'm sure many of you do too. When I saw the Texans play, even during the last two seasons when we were winning I still saw lots of this crap.

I just wonder if that's going to improve under O'Brien be it through greater discipline, better teaching, or pursuing a better grade of player with a higher IQ.
Old 01-01-2014   #728
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was pretty excited when I found out our HC had taken an expansion team to the play offs in it's second year.

I was pretty excited when I found our our HC was going to bring an offense that was very difficult to stop & averaged among the top of the league.

I like the O'Brien hire. But only because I hope he'll bring innovation & motivation. However, I am concerned McNair brought O'Brien in because there have been several college coaches who've been exceptionally successful early in their coaching career.

I think that would have been a great idea after 2010, when we were much younger, like a college team.
I was happy with Dom but Kubiak couldn't even put a sentence together. I'm sorry but I would never hire a guy who sounded like him to a leadership role.

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #729
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice article from Jeffri Chadiha at ESPN on O'Brien's hiring:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...houston-texans

"The Houston Texans are taking a risk in hiring Penn State's Bill O'Brien as their new head coach. He's a man whose head-coaching experience comes down to two seasons at Penn State. He was an assistant in New England for four years before that, meaning he's following in a long line of failed coaches who've worked for New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick. But O'Brien also is something else: The right man to make people forget all the disasters that have come out of New England before him."
Old 01-01-2014   #730
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Another decent ESPN article on O'Brien from a Patriots perspective:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-...espnapi_public
Old 01-01-2014   #731
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanskan View Post
I was happy with Dom but Kubiak couldn't even put a sentence together. I'm sorry but I would never hire a guy who sounded like him to a leadership role.
Everyone I know who's heard Kubiak speak in a public speaking sort of situation (for example, Stephanie Stradley at the various Texans' luncheons) has said that Kubiak is very charismatic and well-spoken.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #732
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

It'll be interesting to see what direction O'Brien goes at QB.

To me the most impressive QBs in the bowl games so far have been Bortles and Hundley, not Bridgewater and Manziel.

A related note: I wonder if Snyder will still be so hot to trot for Briles after the thumping Baylor is taking tonight. UCF, a 17-point underdog, is leading by 17.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #733
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Reads bottom-to-top...

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
Charlie Taaffe is now George O'Leary's OC at UCF. Both can give info on Bortles & will be trusted. All can run multiple offenses. #Texans

At Maryland, Charlie Taaffe used #Lions QB Shaun Hill to run the option under Friedgen while O'Brien was RB coach. #Texans

I still remember the battles of Joey Hamilton vs Woody Dantzler. Friedgen was Hamilton's OC at Ga Tech, then brought O'Brien to Maryland.

O'Brien was also employed by Ralph Friedgen, who ran a lot of option football & QB play depended on timing. Ralph had Joey Hamilton at Tech

O'Brien did coach Tom Brady at NE & Christian Hackenberg was his star recruit. Prototypical pocket passers, ideal NFL size, but... #Texans
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #734
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post

To me the most impressive QBs in the bowl games so far have been Bortles and Hundley, not Bridgewater and Manziel.

A related note: I wonder if Snyder will still be so hot to trot for Briles after the thumping Baylor is taking tonight.
Was it their running ability that impressed you the most?

Bridgewater: 35/45, 447 yards, 3 TD's, 0 INTS

Manziel: 30/38, 382 yards, 4 TD's, 0 INTS

Bortles: 20/31, 301 yards, 3 TD's, 2 INTS

Hundley: 16/27, 226, 2 TD, 0 INTS

Rushing: Hundley had 10 carries for 161 yards, 2 TDs. Bortles had 8 carries for 93 yards, 1 TD. Manziel had 11 carries for 73 yards, 1 TD. Bridgewater had 6 carries for 24 yards, 1 TD.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #735
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A related note: I wonder if Snyder will still be so hot to trot for Briles after the thumping Baylor is taking tonight. UCF, a 17-point underdog, is leading by 17.
Yeah, Manziel and Bridgewater definitely sucked it up in their bowl games.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #736
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

You're saying that, I didn't.

They did fine. They might be good NFL QBs, maybe even great.

But I'm looking at more than stats. Bortles and Hundley just strike me as less risky and more the NFL "type."
Old 01-02-2014   #737
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're saying that, I didn't.

They did fine. They might be good NFL QBs, maybe even great.

But I'm looking at more than stats. Bortles and Hundley just strike me as less risky and more the NFL "type."
Besides Hundley's running ability he still didn't look all that great to me. His accuracy and reads need A TON of work. Bortles wasn't very accurate delivering the ball down the field. Those are traits that NFL QBs must possess.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #738
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Nice article from Jeffri Chadiha at ESPN on O'Brien's hiring:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...houston-texans

"The Houston Texans are taking a risk in hiring Penn State's Bill O'Brien as their new head coach. He's a man whose head-coaching experience comes down to two seasons at Penn State. "
Other than the rethreads, who has more HC experience?
Old 01-02-2014   #739
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Cool.
Old 01-02-2014   #740
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Besides Hundley's running ability he still didn't look all that great to me. His accuracy and reads need A TON of work.
Did you see the TD pass he threw down the right sideline (in the fourth quarter)? It was perfect. And it came right when the announcers were talking about his NFL potential.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read