Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-01-2014   #1
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tampa Bay to hire Lovie Smith

From SiriusXM NFL Radio Facebook:

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reporting Tampa is finalizing a deal to make Lovie Smith their new Head Coach. Bucs fans, you happy with with this move?? Did you want someone else? Sound off..
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tampa Bay to hire Lovie Smith

Jeff Tedford to be his OC, and Leslie Frazier to be his DC
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #3
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ext-head-coach
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #4
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 36695 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
From SiriusXM NFL Radio Facebook:

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reporting Tampa is finalizing a deal to make Lovie Smith their new Head Coach. Bucs fans, you happy with with this move?? Did you want someone else? Sound off..
Texans win! Texans win!
Old 01-01-2014   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

This is probably just a Rooney rule smokescreen. They're really going to hire Kubiak.
Old 01-01-2014   #6
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

And the Tampa 2 defense is returning to its rightful home. I like his staff decisions though.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #7
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
Jeff Tedford to be his OC, and Leslie Frazier to be his DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
And the Tampa 2 defense is returning to its rightful home. I like his staff decisions though.
Tedford can coach and produce some solid QBs in college (Dilfer, Carr, Rodgers) so as an OC should be interesting what he does for Glennon. I like Frazier as a DC, his Vikings D's have been solid for a few years now.

What about Monte Kiffin? Too old to run the Tampa 2 for the Bucs again? How about Jon Gruden as an Assistant HC? *sarcasm*
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is probably just a Rooney rule smokescreen. They're really going to hire Kubiak.
I kind of thought that's what the Texans were doing when they interviewed him.
Old 01-01-2014   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I kind of thought that's what the Texans were doing when they interviewed him.
yeah, interviewing a coach who

1) last year as a head coach was 10-6
2) taken a team to the superbowl in his 9 year head coaching stint
3) Was DC of the Rams when they won the superbowl

smells of just talking to him because he is a minority.

I think (don't know for sure) that TK was being sarcastic.
Old 01-01-2014   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
yeah, interviewing a coach who

1) last year as a head coach was 10-6
2) taken a team to the superbowl in his 9 year head coaching stint
3) Was DC of the Rams when they won the superbowl

smells of just talking to him because he is a minority.

I think (don't know for sure) that TK was being sarcastic.
I can't answer for TK, but I was serious. I didn't want Smith and I slightly raised my eyebrows when Kubiak practically bumped into Lovie while making his way to the car.

There's a lot about Lovie Smith I don't know about. I did watch him coach when his games were in TV, I wasn't impressed.
Old 01-01-2014   #11
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 36695 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hope the other teams all interviewed him already. Lovie off the market, Sumlin & Shaw & Dungy not interviewing - hey Romeo Crennel, do you have a few minutes to talk to us?
Old 01-02-2014   #12
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wish it were us. I always feel that you if you're in the market for a coach, you get one that will maximize your best player. The best player for the Texans is JJ Watt. Lovie would've been able to field a front seven that could make JJ's job a whole lot easier, and if Watt's job were to become even easier than it is now, opposing quarterbacks would consider talking to a mortician before games.

Conversely for Tampa Bay, their best player is Darelle Revis, although you can make a strong case for Vincent Jackson or Doug Martin, I think if you had the ability to grab one player from each team in the NFL, you take Revis from the Bucs.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #13
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
I always feel that you if you're in the market for a coach, you get one that will maximize your best player. The best player for the Texans is JJ Watt. Lovie would've been able to field a front seven that could make JJ's job a whole lot easier, and if Watt's job were to become even easier than it is now, opposing quarterbacks would consider talking to a mortician before games.
i was leaning towards lovie smith for this exact reason. we have the best defensive player in football, and i think lovie would've been the head coach most likely to make the most of watt. i cant fault the texans' brass too much though, it IS a passing league. even with the best defender in the game we only managed 2 wins.
Old 01-02-2014   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i was leaning towards lovie smith for this exact reason. we have the best defensive player in football, and i think lovie would've been the head coach most likely to make the most of watt. i cant fault the texans' brass too much though, it IS a passing league. even with the best defender in the game we only managed 2 wins.
I liked that Lovie was considered because he is one of the few HCs who get fired with a winning record. Even more rare with a "recent" Conference Championship. He's probably a "better" Andy Reid on the defensive side of the ball.

And he's from Texas.
Old 01-02-2014   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh? I don't get this.

Lovie is the real deal. He suffered the worst drafting GM for nearly the entirety of his time in Chicago. The man is a head coach. Delegates. Strong minded on his defense. And unflappable. Players played for Lovie.

Watch what he does in Tampa... with his Tampa. I'm a fan of the man.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
Wish it were us. I always feel that you if you're in the market for a coach, you get one that will maximize your best player. The best player for the Texans is JJ Watt. Lovie would've been able to field a front seven that could make JJ's job a whole lot easier, and if Watt's job were to become even easier than it is now, opposing quarterbacks would consider talking to a mortician before games.

Conversely for Tampa Bay, their best player is Darelle Revis, although you can make a strong case for Vincent Jackson or Doug Martin, I think if you had the ability to grab one player from each team in the NFL, you take Revis from the Bucs.
How does Lovie to TB help Revis? He's a man corner that was stuck playing zone this year by Schiano and struggled. Now he's a man corner that will be stuck playing Cover 2. How does that maximize his ability?

I could see this move helping their recent 1st round pick Gerald McCoy and their stud WLB Lavante David, but not Revis.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #17
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
How does Lovie to TB help Revis? He's a man corner that was stuck playing zone this year by Schiano and struggled. Now he's a man corner that will be stuck playing Cover 2. How does that maximize his ability?
Remember when people questioned how our personnel would fit Wade's 3-4? It fit just fine because we understood that while we throw out the name of a defense, that does not imply that you'll see that formation for 100% of the game, or even a majority of the game.

The same is said with the cover 2. The principle idea behind the Tampa 2 is two bodies covering the outside deep and one body covering the middle deep. That doesn't mean it HAS to be two safties and a middle linebacker. It could be a combination of anything. I'd imagine you'll see Revis playing a lot of looks in the safety position regardless of the fact that he's a cornerback by name. It's how Lovie used Charles Tillman when he knew it was obvious passing downs or when facing a big time WR like Calvin Johnson.

Quote:
I could see this move helping their recent 1st round pick Gerald McCoy and their stud WLB Lavante David....
Which indirectly helps Revis.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I could see this move helping their recent 1st round pick Gerald McCoy and their stud WLB Lavante David, but not Revis.
McCoy was the #1 rated NT by PFF in 2013. David, the #2 rated 4-3 OLB. Revis was the #1 rated CB. Stacked!

But I agree, think Revis is gone.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #19
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
McCoy was the #1 rated NT by PFF in 2013. David, the #2 rated 4-3 OLB. Revis was the #1 rated CB. Stacked!

But I agree, think Revis is gone.
I don't follow PFF so not sure on the rankings. Everything I heard this year pointed to Revis struggling this year.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #20
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I like the O'Brien hire, and I'm excited by it, but I would have been totally ok if it had ended up being Lovie also.

I think there's some folks on this board who looked at Lovie's persona, and saw Kubiak. After that, anything related to actually coaching an NFL football team kind of ceased to matter.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read