Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-01-2014   #481
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
But he wasn't an inch and a half taller nor does he has fifteen more pounds of good muscle . I would take a good back up QB with a third round pick
easily. The same argument goes, because it is the most important position on the team.

The difference between Luck and Keenum's ability to play QB in the NFL isn't an inch and a half in height and 15 pounds.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #482
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
This is a very risky proposition. There are several things that could go wrong here:

1. Draft position - who knows where we end up drafting next season. Luck/RG3 types typically go in the top 3 - everything lower than that means there are some questionmarks.

2. No prospect is a lock. This year we can take who we like most. It is not a guarantee that he pans out, but there also is no guarantee that any one of next years QB pans out. There always are several QBs that scouts and fans love that just doesn`t make it in the NFL. Difference is, we can take any one we like this year, we won`t have that luxury next year.

We basically have the chance to take the highest rated QB this year - or hope that anyone worth a damn will be available when we pick next year. And history shows, that no sure thing will be available lower than #3 (How many later QBs pan out? For every Roethlisberger and Wilson there are 20 Gabberts and Leinarts).

I could understand this discussion if a clear top prospect was available. But there are so many questionmarks around Clowney and everybody else just seem like top5-top10 talents, but not even top 3 talents.

So, if it was really like "wait a year and you get a real franchise QB" IŽd be all for it. But the reality is, if there is one or even two QBs like that in next years draft we won`t be in a position to draft them or have to draft about our whole other picks to get him (remember what it took to get RG3). So, let`s hope we luck out with Bridgewater or whoever we rate highest.
1. The Texans should finish with a top 10-15 pick. I mean they did finish 2-14 for a reason. They aren't going to magically go 12-4 even if they pick Bridgewater.

2. There are 4 QB's that I like more than Bridgewater coming out next yr. Winston/Petty/Hogan/Mariota. If the Texans are picking say 12th, it wont cost as much as you think to trade up to the 5-7 range. I've already stated this in another thread or maybe it is in this thread.

3. I do consider Clowney to be a generational type talent. Sure he needs to go to driving school and didn't put up the stats that he did last yr. Probably because he knew he would've been the top pick last yr and was surely going to be a top 5 pick this yr. He didn't want to get Lattimored. I dont blame him.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #483
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I guess we have a different definition of UNDESPUTED. and I'm not crapping on the guy. I'm fine with drafting him if after the process he turns out to be worthy of The pick. I'm just trying to keep an open mind. There is a lot of time left to make this decision. And Clowney is a better prospect than Smith was. Mathews shouldn't even go top 10.
I would be more than willing to settle for the next Bruce Smith at 1-1. Clowney is more likely to become Bruce Smith than Bridgewater is to become the next Peyton Manning.
Old 01-01-2014   #484
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
1. The Texans should finish with a top 10-15 pick. I mean they did finish 2-14 for a reason. They aren't going to magically go 12-4 even if they pick Bridgewater.
Based on the number of starters and solid backups that will be lost to free agency, along with another year of poor salary cap management that will once again prevent signing equal Free Agent replacements, I expect the Texans will again be picking in the Top 10 in 2015. Teddy Bridgewater could well ensure another #1 pick in 2015.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #485
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You can either ask people around here in this college forum, or you can go back and check all the old threads.

How I worked the WR prospects last year.
It wasn't hindsight.
I began working on it even before the college season started.

Just because you don't follow college and high school football doesn't mean that the rest of us didn't.
True
Old 01-01-2014   #486
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not exactly.

But there was a totally different atmosphere here when they had the #1 pick. None of us was "hoping" they would draft Luck. Most of us were "upset" because it was generally accepted there was a high probability he would be a franchise QB.

Not so much with Bridgewater.

Yeah, some of us are smitten with Manziel & because of that may be blind to his shortcomings & weaknesses.

At the same time, I think the #1 overall have some people drunk on "the best" QB prospect in the draft. & because of our need are overvaluing Bridgewater.

He should not be valued any more than Manziel. If Manziel isn't worth the #1 pick, Bridgewater isn't. At the very least, Bridgewater can't warrant a #1 overall grade & Manziel not warrant a top 10 pick.
Yep, But the Texans need a QB and they should draft Bridgewater even if he will only become an Andy Dalton type QB. Why because it's the Texans @1 need. Logical (Sarcasm///)
Old 01-01-2014   #487
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would be more than willing to settle for the next Bruce Smith at 1-1. Clowney is more likely to become Bruce Smith than Bridgewater is to become the next Peyton Manning.
Bruce smith has more heart to play football in his right pinky than Clowney has in his whole body. I dont want another Mario Williams or the Tracy Mcgrady of football.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #488
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Bruce smith has more heart to play football in his right pinky than Clowney has in his whole body. I dont want another Mario Williams or the Tracy Mcgrady of football.
Really and you know this how?

BTW, Smith/Peppers had the same knock against them coming out of college. Not playing hard all of the time. Guess what JJ is the exception to the rule. DL are big men and are incapable of playing at a high level every down because of their weight/size.
Old 01-01-2014   #489
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

If Manziel was 6'3, this thread would have five pages.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #490
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really and you know this how?

BTW, Smith/Peppers had the same knock against them coming out of college. Not playing hard all of the time. Guess what JJ is the exception to the rule. DL are big men and are incapable of playing at a high level every down because of their weight/size.
I know this because i have a 55" tv in my house and have seen clowney play this year. I grew up watching bruce smith play. That dude didnt take many plays off.

And btw, clowney didnt take plays off this year, he took quarters off.
Old 01-01-2014   #491
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
What is so wrong with Mario Williams? The guy just had another solid season with 13 sacks for the Bills and made his third pro bowl. He's also a two-time all pro. I wish we had the salary cap space to keep him a few off-seasons ago and maybe our defense wouldn't be so bad.
Old 01-01-2014   #492
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
What is so wrong with Mario Williams? The guy just had another solid season with 13 sacks for the Bills and made his third pro bowl. He's also a two-time all pro. I wish we had the salary cap space to keep him a few off-seasons ago and maybe our defense wouldn't be so bad.
Nothing wrong with him. Hes a good player but hes not a 100 million dollar player. Hes got more talent than watt but is satisfied with being a "good" player instead of a " great" one.
Old 01-01-2014   #493
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Not sure this fits here, but Mario had a hire draft grade then Clowney will, IMO.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #494
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater declares for draft. IMO, no brainer #1 pick.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #495
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Not sure this fits here, but Mario had a hire draft grade then Clowney will, IMO.
LZ ... FWIW ... said there's no comparison between the two . CLowney has a much higher skill level than Mario .

http://thesidelineview.com/scouting-...deveon-clowney
Old 01-01-2014   #496
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney a complete non-factor AGAIN. Mario was a much better prospect, unstoppable even with double teams and being schemed for like NFL teams won't double,chip and chop?

Khalil Mack also neutralized today for what its worth.
Old 01-01-2014   #497
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Clowney a complete non-factor AGAIN. Mario was a much better prospect, unstoppable even with double teams and being schemed for like NFL teams won't double,chip and chop?

Khalil Mack also neutralized today for what its worth.
I was probably the only person here that wanted Mario over Bush and VY. Mario was not the prospect Clowney is.
Old 01-01-2014   #498
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Bridgewater declares for draft. IMO, no brainer #1 pick.
If he's the best QB then it is a no brainer. I don't know much about these guys but hopefully one of these QBs will impress the Texans enough for the no. 1 overall pick.
Old 01-01-2014   #499
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was probably the only person here that wanted Mario over Bush and VY. Mario was not the prospect Clowney is.
Care to extrapolate? Mario at 300 lbs did everything Clowney does. By virtue of being lighter he's faster than Mario, but not by much. Mario was bigger and stronger. I look at Clowney and he looks smallish, his play doesn't jump out and to tag him as generational is a reach. You're banking on what he could be vs what he is. Bad motor, questionable character. Just because his measurables are amazing doesn't mean he will be a great player. He doesn't have an inner fire like Watt, neither does Mario, but Mario has a better technical ability to split double teams and get to the QB. Just my two pennies.
Old 01-01-2014   #500
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was probably the only person here that wanted Mario over Bush and VY.
Ummm, nope.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read