Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2014   #81
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Does he have any desire to coach in the pros?

Last I looked there were a handful of coaching gigs open in the NFL and Jimbo just signed a big fat contract extension.
Low self esteem
Old 01-01-2014   #82
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Hixon has 8 years experience coaching WRs in the NFL, in addition to 25 years coaching in college. He has the resume.
Pretty solid.

Big question is Wade. I have mixed feelings about that.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #83
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I am being real, some head coaches search out the best and brightest for their staff and other head coaches reward their friends and their recommendations. NFL coaching is not like any other job, there are only 32 NFL Head Coaches. If NFL coaching is like any other job so is commanding an USN aircraft carrier.
I coach at the middle and high school level... While that certainly doesn't qualify me to speak to NFL coaching, here's what I know: coaching, particularly in football, is a highly collaborative effort. Any lack of trust, understanding, agreement amongst the staff at fundamental levels makes the team weaker. Also, as the level of competition increases (from middle to high school, for instance), the importance of collaboration also increases significantly.

I don't think hiring coaching "friends" is about favoritism, weakness, or anything of the sort. Instead, it is about bringing together the best collection of collaborative partners possible. This is a good thing and an important part of staff-building... It is also the reason why I have been opposed to Cowher as the Texans' new head coach- I think he's been away from the game for too long to quickly unite a collaborative group of coaches that could quickly win.
Old 01-01-2014   #84
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know, you asked me to find you the next Belichick, I obliged. My guess is YES, most all coaches aspire to the highest level. I think Jimbo would be more like Jimmy Johnson than Steve Spurrier.

Lou Holtz told me that he knew in his first week as head coach of the New York Jets that he didn't enjoy it. It was not fun and college was much more rewarding for him. Lou also told me that the reason he was successful is because he knew how to win more football games than his fellow college head coaches.
You personally know Lou Holtz?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #85
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
You personally know Lou Holtz?
Yes, kind of....I hired him to speak at company event. I met him at airport spent an hour with him before he retired. He told me to meet him next morning at 5:00AM for breakfast. We spent 2 hours discussing company info and going over info he could use for his speech later that AM. At 8 am we jumped in back of limo for ride to venue. After his speech, autographs and pictures I took him to the airport. Lots of good and funny stories, many I can't tell here. We had met briefly before this at Augusta National but he did not remember. I doubt he would remember me today as this was 12 years ago.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #86
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not so much as no one he knows and more to do with hiring the best and brightest coaches he can find vs hiring friend and buddies, Belichick vs Kubiak.
And you're sure Belichick never hired anyone he'd had previous experience with...? ...that wasn't considered a friend? You know this?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #87
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135003 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
And you're sure Belichick never hired anyone he'd had previous experience with...? ...that wasn't considered a friend? You know this?
Obsi, good coaches don't do that, and Belichick is a genius.
Old 01-01-2014   #88
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm not saying Belichick never hired anyone he had worked with before. I'm sure he did but he hired him because Belichick thought he was bright intelligent coach not because he was a friend or good old boy.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #89
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i would be happy with Hixon has the OC. but i want a big name or high potential guy as the DC
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #90
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Reads bottom-to-top...

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
Loooong shot, but the coach from NE that Bill O'Brien will probably want but not get is Dante Scarnecchia - NE's OL coach since 2000.

Pepper Johnson - Coached up Vince Wilford & Pats D-line from '04-'11, now Pats' LB coach. #Texans

Tim Banks - Current Illinois DC. Was the LBs & DBs coach for Ralph Friedgen from '03-'06. #Texans

Brian Flores - Current safeties coach for NE. Was an assistant coach for O'Brien's offense / special teams. #Texans

Chad O'Shea - Replaced O'Brien as WR coach in NE in '09 when Bill was promoted. Played QB at U of H & from Houston. #Texans

Ted Roof - Hired O'Brien as OC/QB coach at Duke, was DC for O'Brien in '12 at Penn State, before going back to Ga Tech as DC. #Texans

Several coaches to watch for joining O'Brien in Houston: George Godsey - played QB at Ga Tech for O'Brien & hired him as Off Asst in NE...
Old 01-01-2014   #91
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Reads bottom-to-top...

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Gawd-dangit..... Now we're going to get a bunch of New England assistants....

What's that story about the briar patch again?
Old 01-02-2014   #92
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Gawd-dangit..... Now we're going to get a bunch of New England assistants....

What's that story about the briar patch again?
Braddock was just mentioning names that O'Brien might consider due to his ties in NE; the Oline and TE coaches, in particular, would be very intriguing hires.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #93
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How many of his staffs will O'Brien bring with him?

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...l-coaches.html
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #94
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Found some information on a potential addition by way of Texans TV. Interview with Drew Dougherty below where he mentions his 'right hand man' at Penn State.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...9-0ec82d17cff1

Took me a while to get the name right but he is talking about Jim Bernhardt. Couple of articles about him below:

http://footballscoop.com/news/9455-a...right-hand-man

"But at none of those stops was he as busy, or juggle as much responsibility, as he does now in a non-coaching role working with Bill O'Brien at Penn State."

"It’s a vital position for me,” O’Brien said in a recent interview. “You have to have somebody who can come in here and critique you. Who is critiquing the head coach? Obviously you have a boss, which is the athletic director. They’re in the Bryce Jordan Center and critiquing me on the overall program. Jimmy is critiquing me on a day-to-day basis, and not just critiquing me but critiquing the program in a constructive way," O'Brien told Audrey Snyder of PennLive.com. “He critiques me on X's and O's, on motivational things, overall recruiting ideas,” O’Brien said. “It’s maybe something in the weight room, something structurally in this facility. He helps make the schedule.”

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefoo...bernhardt.html
Old 01-03-2014   #95
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Braddock was just mentioning names that O'Brien might consider due to his ties in NE; the Oline and TE coaches, in particular, would be very intriguing hires.
Dante Scarnecchia is a pipe dream and would probably hurt NE a lot if he left to Houston. He's been there for so long it's pretty inconceivable that he would just up and move for O'Brien when so many other Pats coordinators have left and I'm sure offered him promotions on other teams.
Old 01-03-2014   #96
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

John McCain on Twitter mentioned Romeo Crennal(sp) as a possible DC candidate
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #97
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
We'll start evaluating tomorrow by talking the current members of the Houston Texans staff. We'll meet with everybody on that staff... personally, I'll meet with every one of those guys and go from there.
Quote:
"great teachers, demanding coaches that hold people accountable", as well as men who "know when to go home and see their family".
Quote:
Everybody wants to pin you down as 3-4 or 4-3, but we know that about 70% of the time you're in nickel or dime in this league.
--OB
Old 01-03-2014   #98
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 273484 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
John McCain on Twitter mentioned Romeo Crennal(sp) as a possible DC candidate
We could certainly do worse.
Old 01-03-2014   #99
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We could certainly do worse.
That's who I've been hoping for to be honest. Truthfully, I have been thinking about him as our DC since the beginning of the season. He is a great DC, just a terrible HC. I would approve
Old 01-03-2014   #100
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 78417 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bill O’Brien to consider Romeo Crennel for defensive coordinator position

From the chron:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...pid=sportshcat

Quote:
New Texans coach Bill O’Brien is interested in hiring Romeo Crennel as his defensive coordinator.

Crennel, 66, didn’t coach this season. He was fired as Kansas City’s head coach after the 2012 season with two years left on his contract.

O’Brien said at his introductory news conference on Friday that he wasn’t ready to determine if he’ll play a 3-4 or a 4-3. He used a 4-3 at Penn State. Crennel is a 3-4 proponent.

The Texans switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in 2011 when Wade Phillips became the defensive coordinator. Phillips and the rest of the Texans’ assistants will be interviewed by O’Brien.

If O’Brien is able to lure Crennel back into the coaching fraternity, one of this former New England players thinks it would be a “great” move for the Texans...........
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read