Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2014   #661
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
I am excited!

Finally - someone with a little fire on the sidelines, someone who actually game plans, someone who can make adjustments in the game plan, someone who does not turn his back on a field goal.

Learned under Bill, maybe we can learn how to NOT take our foot off the gas when we have a lead in a game and crush our opponents instead of playing nice.
Here's to him finding a QB with that same passion.

Someone who wants the ball and knows they can win every game!

Go Texans!!!
Old 01-01-2014   #662
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Nice article that brings to light some behind the scenes events that O'Brien dealt with which eventually led him to our Texans.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index...der_arriv.html
From reading the article and some psu message board posters O'Brien sounds like an emotional hothead. But I would rather see some fire on the sidelines instead of the emotionless stare. Texan players need this type of fire. It is the perfect time for it.

Here is some more of the article:

Anyway, I was already a bit stunned because the bombshell had come a few seconds earlier when O’Brien said, off-the-record: “That’s why, in probably about a month, they’re gonna be ----ing looking for a new coach.”

I just let him go after that and listened. Near the end of the call, when he’d settled down, I asked, “You’re not really leaving, are you?” And he replied, “I’m not leaving.”

I mentioned that quote in a column a few days ago. But now you know the context I couldn’t tell you and why I never really believed his assurance.

A few minutes after we hung up, O'Brien texted me: "Thank you for listening." I guess venters know how to let venters vent.

So, with all this unloaded, is it more accurate to say O’Brien is running from Penn State or running toward the Houston Texans? I think it’s the latter. He’s made no secret that the NFL is his destination. He adores the pro game, the purity of it, without the university politics and pretense of the college version. And this is the time to get there.
Old 01-01-2014   #663
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good hire.

He seems like a true competitor that wont be a "players coach". Players coaches rarely succeed.

If he gets the right staff around him, and is allowed to have input into the players he wants to coach, I think it will be a nice departure from the Kube days of mediocrity and loyalty at all costs.

Move over Bob and Rick and let this man do his job.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #664
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I think I just fell in love with a man, and it ain't Tom Brady...
haha yeah and i love it how he keeps trying to get back to brady. I like his fire, he is the kinda coach who will get ejected from a damn game if he feels strongly enough about something !
Old 01-01-2014   #665
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I meant wasn't. Freaking auto correct on IPhone
That's what I assumed you meant. No way anyone was expecting Schaub to be in the plans next year.

I'd be more concerned that he might have agreed to work with Keenum next year. I don't think that likely (I'd hope that McNair was smarter than that at this point) but it's more likely than a return to Schaub I think.
Old 01-01-2014   #666
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
donno if this has been posted but here is a good video on him speaking about the QB position...

Bill O'Brien: Quarterback Technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmH7jvQN4zk
Thanks for the clip.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #667
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Will he be looking to take his own guy, Christian Hackenberg next year or in 2015?
Old 01-01-2014   #668
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11706 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
donno if this has been posted but here is a good video on him speaking about the QB position...

Bill O'Brien: Quarterback Technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmH7jvQN4zk
From what he said in that clip about finding an intelligent QB and looking at the decisions they make off the field, will probably disappoint a lot of Manziel fans.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #669
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Will he be looking to take his own guy, Christian Hackenberg next year or in 2015?
Still holding out hope for Keenum, eh? Is that why you are on this big kick of waiting for 2+ years to draft a QB?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #670
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post

Best comment below that video

horns2112

2 months ago

I wonder how many guns Aaron Hernandez had under that coat.
Old 01-01-2014   #671
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Without a doubt in my mind I know O'Brien is picking our QB with the first pick and whoever he chooses will be the best prospect for his system and I'm personally good with that. I personally would like Bridgewater or Manziel but that decision is on O'Brien.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #672
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Still holding out hope for Keenum, eh? Is that why you are on this big kick of waiting for 2+ years to draft a QB?
Only until there's a clear cut franchise QB you can build the team with.
Otherwise, they are all questionable.
Old 01-01-2014   #673
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 376621 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Nice article that brings to light some behind the scenes events that O'Brien dealt with which eventually led him to our Texans.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index...der_arriv.html
Note that this was after O'Brien let go long time Paterno assistant Ron Vanderlinden, and he got the same retort he was getting from the many armchair quarterbacks in power up there... "That's not the way Jo Pa(Paterno) would handle it. We should have brought in a Penn Stater."

That insight into O'Brien shows a man who's passionate about football but not so much about the politics that goes along with it. O'Brien is that guy who needs to regularly blow his top without being judged for it. One of the most important considerations for the Texans FO will be to make sure there's that sounding board for BO'B. But I don't think it'll be a FO guy.

We got our guy and he's the right guy -- my boy, he's wicked smaaart. I guess we'll need to find him some good Boston chowda and laaabsta rolls.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #674
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Thanks for the link. Here's one I found there. Interesting stuff.
Quote:
The Texans knew they’d be in the job market around a month ago, when they fired Gary Kubiak.

But Kubiak’s official departure came two days after his replacement confided to a reporter that he wasn’t long for Penn State.
Lots of interesting stuff...
Quote:
There seemed to be particular frustration with the political side of being a college coach, the glad-handing and recruiting that takes up more time than the football. Trying to manage that at a place wracked by the Jerry Sandusky scandal, and the legions of fans beholden to former coach Joe Paterno, was a line O’Brien tired of walking.

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a —- what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program,” he said. “I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now. . . .
Old 01-01-2014   #675
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

no more mr. nice guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSvnn4ky4d8

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #676
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99016 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's an article about O'Brien and his son, who has a rare neurological disease. I just thought it was a good insight on the new coach. http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...ng-joe-paterno
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #677
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 376621 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Here's an article about O'Brien and his son, who has a rare neurological disease. I just thought it was a good insight on the new coach. http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...ng-joe-paterno
Wow...
Quote:
The episodes come so often and so random, are so mind-numbing in their frequency, there’s never really an opportunity to reflect on the sheer terror of it all.

Multiple times every day, Jack O’Brien stops breathing.

“I’m always waiting,” Colleen O’Brien says. “Please take that breath. Take that breath.”

A breath of life, a breath of perspective.

“People ask me about pressure in this job,” says Bill O’Brien, Penn State’s new coach. “Really? Pressure?”...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #678
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never been this excited as a Texan fan. We finally have a HC that ignites a lot of fire and life on the sidelines. A guy who has a reputation for holding guys accountable. I can't wait to see the direction he takes this team from a rebuild perspective to be able to execute his systems.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #679
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I have never been this excited as a Texan fan. We finally have a HC that ignites a lot of fire and life on the sidelines. A guy who has a reputation for holding guys accountable. I can't wait to see the direction he takes this team from a rebuild perspective to be able to execute his systems.
yeah, this is the very first time I'm excited about who our HC is.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #680
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 3247 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
...I don't see a franchise QB so trade down...
Hub Arkush of Pro Football Weekly, who's astute when it comes to these things, agrees with you.

In an interview on 610 this week, he said any team that takes Manziel or Bridgewater early in the first round - let alone with the No. 1 pick - will be doing some major overreaching.

He believes the QB group as a whole is mediocre, and that Mettenberger (before his knee injury) was/is by far the most NFL-ready of them.

It was great to hear some sanity brought to the QB-draft discussion.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read