Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2014   #121
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borowicz50 View Post
I personally like the idea of taking OT Jake Matthews tackle from Texas A&M & solidifying the offensive line which was another big problem this year. He can begin life as the RT & when Duane Brown gets older or begins to break down can eventually take over that slot & they would switch at that point.

This would enable us to take a QB in the second round basically best available but he will have a solid line in front of him that will aid in the running & passing game as opposed to picking a QB in the first round & then having no run game on the right side nor protection either.

I would be fine with the QBs looking to go in the second round such as A.J. McCarron or someone who may slip out of the first round. This type of philosophy sets up better in all facets as our running backs & QB are better & we may even consider trading a 3rd rounder to Washington for Kirk Cousins. We have tons of options but I feel the safer pick & the best for any team is to always develop the offensive & defensive lines. Jadavian Clowney is great but too many off the field issues & a lack of motor on the field makes him feel less JJ Watt more Mario Williams.

my 2 cents
No matter what Jake Matthews or any guy who will play RT for us is not worth a first round pick at all much less the first overall. Find a guy to compete with Newton and the rest in the 2nd or 3rd at earliest.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #122
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
No matter what Jake Matthews or any guy who will play RT for us is not worth a first round pick at all much less the first overall. Find a guy to compete with Newton and the rest in the 2nd or 3rd at earliest.
So .... who do you take at 1:1..... assuming you don't believe in the QB's available (which I don't) and you are unable to trade back.

Clowney's pretty much a joke ... LOL @ more speeding tickets than sacks ....

Hard to justify Matthews (I was on that ship for a while).

No one else has separated themselves yet - tho its early pre combine.

Mariota is staying in school , Johnny Football is difficult to forecast as an NFL talent , Bridgewater played against a bunch of scrubs and has piss poor mechanics .... Mettenberger & Murray have injury questions and McCarron is difficult at best to diagnose .... then again he could be this drafts Aaron Rogers.

Barr .... meh.

Do you take one of those questionable QB talents with huge bust potential over one of those position players like Mosley (best football player in this draft) who may lock down their position for a decade at a probowl level ?!

This is flat out the wrong year to have the #1 pick .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #123
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'm going to let the RT in the first round at all thing slide.

Ok no I'm not, even before the new rookie CBA teams were taking RT prospects from pick 20 on. Sure these teams were usually already established, but still.

Personally I'd like to pry Cassel away from the Vikings somehow. That way we'll have at least 1 vet QB with experience dealing with O'Brien.

Bridgewater
Cassel
Keenum
Old 01-01-2014   #124
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Bridgewater played against a bunch of scrubs and has piss poor mechanics
... Piss poor mechanics? Bridgewater is pretty damn polished.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #125
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmH7jvQN4zk

You guys need to see this before you decide who is the QB.

originally posted by Vinny on another thread.
Old 01-01-2014   #126
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
Apparently you haven't watched him throw the ball. Its like he is playing cricket, or trying to get the last out with a submarine slider at times. He rarely, from what I have seen personally, demonstrates the prototypical over-the-top mechanics that QB's are taught. He is an "athlete", nothing more. Will not be a star in the NFL.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #127
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol did he confuse Bridgewater with Vince Young?
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #128
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Apparently you haven't watched him throw the ball. Its like he is playing cricket, or trying to get the last out with a submarine slider at times. He rarely from what I have seen personally demonstrates the prototypical over-the-top mechanics that QB's are taught. He is an "athlete", nothing more. Will not be a star in the NFL.
LOL. Wow. Are YOU watching him play? I'll admit that his throwing motion is a little different, but to say he has "piss poor mechanics" couldn't be more inaccurate. He EASILY has the best footwork / accuracy in this draft.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #129
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL. Wow. Are YOU watching him play? I'll admit that his throwing motion is a little different, but to say he has "piss poor mechanics" couldn't be more inaccurate. He EASILY has the best footwork / accuracy in this draft.
He is a good college QB, but the eye test shows his mechanics aren't great, and frankly his accuracy numbers are helped out by the receivers adjusting. Not to the extent that Schaub had ridiculous number mirages because of all his receivers bailing him out, but at times TB throws them up and has the talent go get them.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #130
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

My QB?

Read my SIG.
Old 01-01-2014   #131
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
He is a good college QB, but the eye test shows his mechanics aren't great, and frankly his accuracy numbers are helped out by the receivers adjusting. Not to the extent that Schaub had ridiculous number mirages because of all his receivers bailing him out, but at times TB throws them up and has the talent go get them.
lol Bridgewater puts the ball where only his receivers can get it.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #132
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

And Bridgewater is my QB for the simple fact I don't want anymore g'damn Aggies on this team.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #133
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
HWWNBM's numbers his first year in Kubiak's offense. Clearly better than those of Keenum this year at least in terms of completion percentage and extending drives.

My point was that BOTH of them SUCK at playing QB in the NFL.

If you went back and watched every play from Keenum this season , you'd realize the facts - He cant read an NFL defense. He didn't just miss a read here and there .... He missed the routine plays. He had no clue about protection scheme's either ... overload on one side (not a blitz) and he couldn't make the hot read and get rid of the ball.

Yeah , he made a few plays when he escaped pressure .... but those were few and far between once defenses realized all they had to do was blitz him ... those pretty much went the way of the Dodo.

I had high hopes for Keenum at one time too ..... but they were unrealistic. I'm glad he got his shot but its over , other than maybe as a backup.
It should be easy for you to give a few dozens of examples?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #134
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

unless he sees something I don't see a Franchise QB in this draft so I would trade down or just use the pick on DEF
I wouldn't say there are no franchise QBs, just not any sure things. Bridgewater, Manziel, Mariotta (if he declares), Hundley could all be franchise QBs.

I just wouldn't pay a #1 overall for them. I'd be just as happy with Hundley at 12 as I would be with Bridgewater at 5.
Old 01-01-2014   #135
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Bridgewater but I'll trust O'Brien to make the right call and decide who is right if we draft one over any poster on any message board.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #136
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
What if we switch to a more traditional power run game? What if Duane Brown isn't good enough outside the ZBS? What if O'Brien already "knows" that?

So instead of drafting a RT, he's looking to draft a "better" LT?

I like Brown, but he's not the best guy to ever play the position. He had a down year in 2013, what if that's as good as it gets from here out? For some medical reason...

I understand we just signed him to a bunch of money, but starting him at LT because we paid him a lot of money is the same folly as starting Schaub because we paid him a lot of money.

I'm not saying that Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan can beat out Duane Brown. But if they can, it improves our OL a lot better than just an upgrade at RT. We'll dominate at the point of attack.

Then we draft a Brees, Dalton, Kaepernick, or Wilson in the second which is just as likely as drafting the next Rogers, Roethlisberger, or Rivers in the first.
Old 01-01-2014   #137
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

After seeing Blake Bortles' girlfriend, I think he is the QB for us.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #138
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully not Manziel.....
Old 01-01-2014   #139
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point I see a bunch of QB's who all have a chance to develop into a franchise QB or if things don't work out as expected they could develop into the next color-commentary guy for their schools football radio broadcasts. No sure things but plenty of potential.

I don't want to say that I'm drunk on the BOB Kool-aid but I'm satisfied that he'll pick the best candidate for what he wants to do and he'll make that pick as much based on the football IQ of the guy as anything we're seeing in highlights on Youtube.

Bill's got this. I'm fine with whoever he decides to go with.
Old 01-01-2014   #140
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
At this point I see a bunch of QB's who all have a chance to develop into a franchise QB or if things don't work out as expected they could develop into the next color-commentary guy for their schools football radio broadcasts. No sure things but plenty of potential.

I don't want to say that I'm drunk on the BOB Kool-aid but I'm satisfied that he'll pick the best candidate for what he wants to do and he'll make that pick as much based on the football IQ of the guy as anything we're seeing in highlights on Youtube.

Bill's got this. I'm fine with whoever he decides to go with.
This is pretty much where I'm at also. Everything else is slingblade hand-wringing. The year JJ Watt was drafted I heard lots of moaning and griping...the year 0k0ye was drafted I heard lots of satisfied musings and the all knowing head nods.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read