Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-31-2013   #441
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

I might be worried about that throw if he did not just have 4 INTs to go along with 31 TDs and completed 71% of his passes 2013.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #442
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line is that, IMO, there's no franchise QB in this draft.

Just like last year when I wanted to trade down to get more picks (including future picks, if possible) since I didn't really like any WR enough in the first.

We could have Keenan Allen as the second WR plus extras to trade back up or trade away for future picks.
Could have another TE like Fauria who only caught seven TD passes and another LB to groom like Zavier Gooden.

Or maybe trade back up to get a complete LB like Sio Moore or a RT like Bakthiari.

The QB corp next year and in 2015 look more interesting.
The guy that plays for BOB at Penn St, for example, had a higher grade than Jameis Winston out of high school, 88 to 84.
Who knows, that might be the guy he will look to bring here.

There are some interesting-looking high school seniors, too.
There's a guy who graded out at 84, same as Winston, that I really like.
He's about 6'3-6'4, 225-235lbs.
And he moves like Mariotta, except he's a white dude.
And he's only fifth at the position.
I will post a video of him later.

Then there's another guy who's about the same size.
Son of the HC at Pittsburg university.
Another member of his close family, I can't remember the relationship, is among the Niners coaching staff.
That guy looks to have the work ethic and the drive.

Then there's another guy who's even bigger, and can still move.

Let them spend their first round picks on this draft class.
We'll have more chances on the next 2-3 classes.

It's not a bad idea to plan ahead if you're a new HC.
Make sure you have a good O-line to protect your QB of the future first.
That way, he can step into a good situation.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #443
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Scroll back up to that video. there was no time for a double move to develop.

I respect you bro and like a lot of what you say, but having more respect for his toughness & ability to read a defense by taking an unnecessary big hit/sack is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard in a QB evaluation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Because Bridgewater makes that play only when he has to.
Doesn't matter, I was wrong. On that play, it was 3rd down, meaning they had to convert to stay on the field. He was looking at the slot receiver to his left first. Probably because he expected his pass rush to not hold up. He sets up to throw the ball to the slot receiver, but notices the corner/safety is all over him.

He decides to pull it down & that's when the pass rush is on him. He does his little dance & takes the shot down field.

Good play. I see no fault on this play. Excuse me.
Old 12-31-2013   #444
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 45564 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Whoever "They" is, "They" need to be discredited.
With the rule changes protecting the QBs, perhaps the frail frame is no longer as much of an issue. But the low release point in a league with tall linemen learning the ball batting techniques used by JJ will be a concern.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #445
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
By-the-by..... when I'm looking at these "highlights" the first thing I'm looking for is if a play could have been made within the system. When we say a player only does that "when he has" to, that's usually not accurate.

Players don't trust the system, or they don't trust the player on the other end. They decide not to throw the ball, protection doesn't hold up, he does a little dance & either makes a big play or don't.

That's one of the reasons, I think, a QB like Pat White can be "excellent" in college, but not so much in the NFL. An exceptional player can carry a college team more so than in the NFL when the talent is more concentrated.
Old 12-31-2013   #446
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Doesn't matter, I was wrong. On that play, it was 3rd down, meaning they had to convert to stay on the field. He was looking at the slot receiver to his left first. Probably because he expected his pass rush to not hold up. He sets up to throw the ball to the slot receiver, but notices the corner/safety is all over him.

He decides to pull it down & that's when the pass rush is on him. He does his little dance & takes the shot down field.

You are just spoiled by Schaub .
Old 12-31-2013   #447
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
With the rule changes protecting the QBs, perhaps the frail frame is no longer as much of an issue. But the low release point in a league with tall linemen learning the ball batting techniques used by JJ will be a concern.
The comment was "They" say Bridgewater is to short, he's 6'3". That's why I thought "They" should be discredited. TB is a skinny Geno. Now that's not a dig. In fact under circumstances Geno ended up having a respectable rookie year.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #448
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The comment was "They" say Bridgewater is to short, he's 6'3". That's why I thought "They" should be discredited. TB is a skinny Geno. Now that's not a dig. In fact under circumstances Geno ended up having a respectable rookie year.
Teddy has more QB in him than Geno . Geno looked all world then vanished 1/2 through the year . Teddy shows up every game and leads his team .
Old 12-31-2013   #449
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 45564 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm just piling on to the argument with "They." "They" get it wrong a lot.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #450
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess it will be a little quiet around here for a while, all the young know it all's are probably at some Inter-Galactic Kegger tonight.
Old 12-31-2013   #451
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Just like last year when I wanted to trade down to get more picks (including future picks, if possible) since I didn't really like any WR enough in the first.

We could have Keenan Allen as the second WR plus extras to trade back up or trade away for future picks.
Could have another TE like Fauria who only caught seven TD passes and another LB to groom like Zavier Gooden.
LOL, Nice to meet you Captain Hindsight. I highly doubt you were banging the table for a busted up Keenan Allen last year that couldn't even work out at a combine. He was the biggest WR injury red flag coming out. The Chargers got themselves a damn steal with him.

Quote:
There are some interesting-looking high school seniors, too.
There's a guy who graded out at 84, same as Winston, that I really like.
He's about 6'3-6'4, 225-235lbs.
And he moves like Mariotta, except he's a white dude.
And he's only fifth at the position.
I will post a video of him later.

Then there's another guy who's about the same size.
Son of the HC at Pittsburg university.
Another member of his close family, I can't remember the relationship, is among the Niners coaching staff.
That guy looks to have the work ethic and the drive.

Then there's another guy who's even bigger, and can still move.

Let them spend their first round picks on this draft class.
We'll have more chances on the next 2-3 classes.

It's not a bad idea to plan ahead if you're a new HC.
Make sure you have a good O-line to protect your QB of the future first.
That way, he can step into a good situation.
LOL, what is your plan bro? To be the worst team in football for the next 3 years. You're something else man. That's awesome you're really doing your homework this far in advance, but the last thing I want is another head coach with a 6 year plan where we continue to lose in the worst division in football until then. Plus, I don't think a new HC will get that same liberty Kubes did and will likely be ousted by the time these potential, hopeful, future all stars possibly declare for the NFL.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #452
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's one of the reasons, I think, a QB like Pat White can be "excellent" in college, but not so much in the NFL. An exceptional player can carry a college team more so than in the NFL when the talent is more concentrated.
I hear you and the fear of guys like Pat White. I also fear those guys big time. I see way more Aaron Rodgers than Pat White though.

Quote:
Guess it will be a little quiet around here for a while, all the young know it all's are probably at some Inter-Galactic Kegger tonight.
lol. Most young Know it all's roll out around 10. We still got time to go back and forth until then.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #453
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I hear you and the fear of guys like Pat White. I also fear those guys big time. I see way more Aaron Rodgers than Pat White though.

lol. Most young Know it all's roll out around 10. We still got time to go back and forth until then.
Good, I welcome the company.
Old 12-31-2013   #454
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27347 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just a question: what is your knock on Bridgewater? It seems like the main concerns are his size and his not elite arm strength - and the weak schedule.

Now with 63 I am not too worried. Not elite arm strength? I can live with that, he has no Henne arm. Weak schedule? Nothing he can do about it. He showed up in big games. The rest will be shown at the combine.

What I read about him is he is elite at reading defenses, has great accuracy, rarely makes mistakes, is elite at avoiding pressure, has a good throwing technique, is a bright kid and a great leader. That sounds like a potential franchise QB to me.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #455
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Now with 63 I am not too worried. Not elite arm strength?
He's not 6'3"

I know someone somewhere has him listed as 6'3" but when he gets to the combine, I bet he's not 6'3"

& 6'3" is not the magic number. He needs to be 6'5" every inch shorter is a knock on him (of course, this is only my opinion).

I don't have a problem with his arm. Looks plenty strong enough to me. & there's plenty of evidence of it. My biggest issue is that most of his highlights are off-schedule. I'd like to see more big throws within the system & on schedule.

Watching him break down defenses with his legs... that's Vince Young stuff.... impressive, nice to watch, won't mean as much on the next level.
Old 12-31-2013   #456
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

One question that no one is asking is, how much better is Bridgewater or whomever is the highest rated over say, the QB's that should be available late first? Is there a really big difference?
Old 12-31-2013   #457
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
One question that no one is asking is, how much better is Bridgewater or whomever is the highest rated over say, the QB's that should be available late first? Is there a really big difference?

Who's available late 1st noone knows....All i know is you have a golden opportunity to take the undisputed best prospect at the position....you simply cant pass that up.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #458
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Who's available late 1st noone knows....All i know is you have a golden opportunity to take the undisputed best prospect at the position....you simply cant pass that up.
Undisputed best prospect? What a joke. There is no undisputed number one QB prospect. Bridgewater may have the edge right now but he is far from being a true franchise QB prospect and isn't that much better a prospect than the top 5 QB's in this draft.
Old 12-31-2013   #459
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Undisputed best prospect? What a joke. There is no undisputed number one QB prospect. Bridgewater may have the edge right now but he is far from being a true franchise QB prospect and isn't that much better a prospect than the top 5 QB's in this draft.
WTF are u talking about? He is the undisputed best prospect at his position if he chooses to come out this year and has been since the beginning of the season. that doesnt project to change.

The rest of that is your opinion....amd you seem to be in the minority with it in that regard... No he's not a peyton manning/andrew luck type prospect, but noone we pick at that spot will be of that caliber prospect. Clowney isnt a bruce smith type prospect and Matthews isnt an orlando pace type prospect....

Why crap on bridgewater b/c he's the guy we're most likely to pick?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #460
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
WTF are u talking about? He is the undisputed best prospect at his position if he chooses to come out this year and has been since the beginning of the season. that doesnt project to change.

The rest of that is your opinion....amd you seem to be in the minority with it in that regard... No he's not a peyton manning/andrew luck type prospect, but noone we pick at that spot will be of that caliber prospect. Clowney isnt a bruce smith type prospect and Matthews isnt an orlando pace type prospect....

Why crap on bridgewater b/c he's the guy we're most likely to pick?
I guess we have a different definition of UNDESPUTED. and I'm not crapping on the guy. I'm fine with drafting him if after the process he turns out to be worthy of The pick. I'm just trying to keep an open mind. There is a lot of time left to make this decision. And Clowney is a better prospect than Smith was. Mathews shouldn't even go top 10.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read