Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2013   #81
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
First bolded: DAYUM, how long does it take then TK?
They're just excuses, but Cutler has had some pretty good ones to explain why we haven't seen the best of Jay Cutler. I don't think he's ever had the same offensive coordinator for more than 2 years. He's been injured a lot. Chicago thought Devon Hester was a WR for a long time.

I don't believe Cutler can be a franchise QB, but I wouldn't be surprised & actually expect him to think that he can. But anyone who thinks we can't win with Cutler is trying to sell you something. They're afraid signing Cutler means we won't draft Bridgewater, or Bortles; that we'll miss on a franchise QB.

I'm saying we don't know that any of those guys will be a franchise QB. I'd be fine if the Texans pass on this class & targets one next year. At the same time, I'd be upset if they pass this year & next, or if their plan didn't work out & they couldn't position themselves next year to get a possible franchise guy.

Seattle didn't draft Russell Wilson expecting him to lead them to the play-offs, they signed Matt Flynn for that. San Francisco didn't draft Kaepernick with the expectation that he would take them to the NFC Championship game the following year. That was Alex Smith (who did the same thing the year before). The Colts weren't expecting to make the play-offs with Luck in his first season. Neither were the Redskins with Luck. They weren't expecting to win much at all.

If we don't hire a veteran QB who has won a number of games in the past; Cutler, Freeman, Flynn, Mallet.... then we're putting all our hopes in the "Bridgewater (or whoever) basket", content with the possibility that we'll have a losing season, or for some godforsaken reason think Case Keenum can win an NFL game.

I want a vet QB & a first/early second QB. If the Texans decide not to go that way, I'll pump the sunshine during the season, find some way to spin it.... but let it be known, right now I do not think it's conducive to winning & I won't think Bob, BO'b, or Smith are serious about winning.
Old 12-31-2013   #82
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
http://youtu.be/dmH7jvQN4zk

Bill O'Brien feels nowadays you need a QB who is practically a coach on the field. Who fits these parameters the best?
Honestly......... sounds like he's talking about Case Keenum.

I have a feeling we're going to be in for a long, long season. Or short, depending when you decide to check out.
Old 12-31-2013   #83
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Other than Matt McGroin, who do you think he's talking about?
Duh, Case Keenum of course! He's so boss, he will revolutionize how the position is played.
Old 12-31-2013   #84
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

--edit--

man I didn't know there was a "Garoppolo" in the QB mix, funniest name I've ever heard... that's my guy for sure!
Janine?
Old 12-31-2013   #85
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i take keenum and a draft pick from the first 2 rounds into next year. my argument has been that keenum had all the tools but wasnt quite ready yet, most of that being he needed a full offseason higher on the depth chart to get a better grip on the playbook and situational repetitions. i still believe that, though he did show enough that i'm worried he might have some issues that keep him from reaching his potential.

as for the draft pick, my ideal would be to trade down. then either grab a quarterback with our first pick, or a higher rated position player and then trade back up into the mid/late first and get the quarterback.
Old 12-31-2013   #86
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I want a vet QB & a first/early second QB. If the Texans decide not to go that way, I'll pump the sunshine during the season, find some way to spin it.... but let it be known, right now I do not think it's conducive to winning & I won't think Bob, BO'b, or Smith are serious about winning.
So anyone who disagrees with your plan isn't serious about winning. My, such hubris.
Old 12-31-2013   #87
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Duh, Case Keenum of course! He's so boss, he will revolutionize how the position is played.
LOL...I have no issue keeping Keenum as a #2, but nothing has convinced me that he has QB1 potential. But in saying that, if Obie sees something in him that can be turned into gold, then so be it, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in Case's basket.

Very few teams have more than one viable option at QB, so I would draft our future QB and let Obie assess what Case can actually do with some coaching and mentoring. Case was put in a very difficult position this season and once teams figured out that blitzing was all they needed to do to rattle the guy, his ability to play the position successfully was compromised, and we all know Kubiak did nothing to adjust to put him in a better position to make plays once he was figured out.

I'm excited about the future if Obie is our HC and believe we need to hit the reset button at QB. I don't honestly think our starting QB of next year is currently on the roster, but I'm not an NFL coach or talent scout. Bridgewater has shown he can make plays behind a bad OL...but I know nothing about his football smarts.

This offseason will be far more exciting than this season was.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #88
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Janine?
Hee Hee, that's the first one that came to my mind as well.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #89
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

There's much talk that the Bears may franchise Cutty. It makes financial sense for them as the tag is imagined to be in the area of 16.5ish million. That's not too far off from where his annual salary was with the Bears to begin with.

Even so, I've come to the realization that Cutler probably cannot be had for atleast $15 million and that is too steep for my taste.

I guess my quarterback for next year is Bridgewater... I'm scared.

You know, there's nothing stopping us from doing what the Redskins did when they took RGIII and simply draft two quarterbacks in there is another good one sitting there.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #90
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The biggest question to me is , who's our QB next year. Nothing else will have as big an impact on W's and L's.

So .... who ya got ?!
1. Blake Bortles
2. Zach Mettenberger
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Teddy Bridgewater

(I think all go in the first round)
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #91
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
1. Blake Bortles
2. Zach Mettenberger
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Teddy Bridgewater

I'd take Bortles or Bridgewater. Manziel.... eh. Love him as an Aggie but can't really see him here, he seems like a guy destined to be an Oakland Raider or a Cleveland Brown.

Mettenberger looked great this year but that injury concerns me.
Old 12-31-2013   #92
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I'd like us to sign Cutler. If we do choose to draft a QB in the first round, he can take time to learn under a veteran QB. I also believe Cutler gives us the best opportunity to win next year. I can't see a rookie QB leading us to a Super Bowl.
Sweet Mary...please no.
Old 12-31-2013   #93
bigmck
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Sweet Mary...please no.
Cutler isn't even the best QB on the Bears.
Old 12-31-2013   #94
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I think about it, I don't even know if there is going to be a QB worth using our second round pick on when we get there. I think we need to look at 3rd or 4th round QB unless someone drops to the 2nd that isn't supposed to. Really only 3 or 4 QB's that you could justify 1st or 2nd round grades on this year. Picking one at #1 would be ignorant. Go build the OL and DL/DB with the first two or three rounds, then get a QB.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #95
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get it. The big knock against Mettenburger seems to be the knee injury, but then NOT have injury concerns with Cutler??

When has Cutler NOT been injured? Stop with this wanting to get Cutler here, as if he will miraculously become a more durable player, a player that will always answer the bell, hurting or not.

Cutler . . no thanks!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So anyone who disagrees with your plan isn't serious about winning. My, such hubris.
If that's what your "law degree" gets out of my entire post..... whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Cutler isn't even the best QB on the Bears.
Which is why he might be available & he's better than any QB we have on this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

When has Cutler NOT been injured? Stop with this wanting to get Cutler here, as if he will miraculously become a more durable player, a player that will always answer the bell, hurting or not.

Cutler . . no thanks!
What if he can help us to 10 wins before he gets hurt? Then Bridgewater takes over after watching from the sideline for 14 weeks, plus a bye. His legend starts in the play-offs.

Cutler moves on. We move on.
Old 12-31-2013   #97
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still holding out hope that Sage Rosenfels un-retires and leads the Texans to the promise land...
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #98
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
1. Blake Bortles
2. Zach Mettenberger
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Teddy Bridgewater

They will. I want Manziel but Would be happy with any of the others listed.
Old 12-31-2013   #99
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I'm still holding out hope that Sage Rosenfels un-retires and leads the Texans to the promise land...
Yeah, just tie some ropes to him and he can fly the team there.

I hear the NSA recently looked into bringing him in to fly around with surveillance cameras. They think his contract would be less than the cost of high tech drones.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #100
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
A lot of them this year, actually.
Name them and claim 'em. I am very disappointed in this year's crop as far as starting material. Some are LTs only like Kouandijo and others will have a NFL career as guards. Antonio Richardson could move to RT and maybe survive but imo would not beat out Newton. JuWuan James is only pure right tackle that could start day one. I also am interested in Moses but think he needs a year unless we go to a pure power O.

I think many are going to be surprised if Newton comes back 100% healthy.

Cyril Richardson now a OG would thrive at RT imo but would probably be day one starter replacing Smith if selected.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read