Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2013   #61
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82030 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Since I think we're still in "win now" mode, I'd try to get Cutler and I'd draft AJ McCarron for the future.

If it's financially possible, that is.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Keenum simply can not read defenses .... That's his fatal flaw.
We have the off-season now.
Would you care to go through each of his pass attempts while I go through each of the opponent QBs' pass attempts (and Schaub's for that matter), to validate your claim?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #63
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
If you want a franchise QB, which I do, I would take one in the draft. I'm in the Bridgewater or Bortles boat.
There are at least a half a dozen QBs that have the potential to be elite QBs. The trouble is, they all have the potential to be busts as well.

The New Coach, Smith and McNair will collectively decide if any of them has sufficient potential to keep the 1-1 pick rather than trade down and get a less risky player (BPA) which would probably meet an area of need. There are still QBs deciding whether they will enter this draft who might even be better than the current crop of QB prospects, but even if in the same good , but not great category, would make one of the group available with 2-1 or a Trade Down to later in Round 1.

Bridgewater
Bortles
Carr
Manziel
McCarron
Mettenberger
Fales
Smith
Garoppolo
Boyd
Murray
Maybe others

Only five or six teams are looking for a starting QB. A good one will be available, probably as late as round 3 or 4 with nearly the potential of the top choice.

If the Front office decides their guy is one without the hype, then they can get low risk protection by trading down, pick up more draft picks and STILL get their guy. But things are fluid. Just yesterday, Cleveland's desire for Carr became a moot point when their HC was fired. This would have been a great trade partner. Trade down to 1-4, pick up say 1-26 and 2-36, and still have at least one of the following available: Bridgewater, Matthews, Clowney or Barr. Assuming they were going for Carr, there would be a choice of at least two. With Jacksonville likely going for QB, we would probably still have a choice of three of those while still getting one of the group of closely rated QBs and with additional early picks in a draft with good depth overall.

Good trade partners in order:

St Louis - 1-2; 1-13; 2-45; 3-77 This only works if they target a specific player and we make it known that we MIGHT take that player. But a move down to 1-2 also keeps us the key player for further trades as moving further down puts
St Louis a better trading partner.

Cleveland - 1-4; 1-26; 2-36; 3-68; 3-79 They collected draft picks under the old regime. A new HC will want immediate impact if he wants a second season and would use these picks for an impact player.

Minnesota - They need a QB and are drafting 8th after four other teams with QB needs. If they want one of the heralded picks, they might want to move up. Unfortunately, they have no extra picks to trade and we would need more to move down further. Perhaps this is where we trade for picks in future years as well as swapping picks this year and an additional pick or two this season.

Jacksonville and Tennessee also might want QBs, but being division rivals would not make likely trade partners.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #64
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 44165 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Whoever Bill O'Brien decides on. He's a QB coach, OC.

Whoever he sees as the guy I'll support -- since "B.O." knows football, and I'm in my armchair.

I might get more excited if BO'B decides a Mettenberger or Bortles or Garoppolo is the guy, just because he'd be trusting himself instead of going with the consensus. But sometimes the consensus is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Brien
I'm gonna stick with Schaub, he is the real deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Damn!
--edit--

man I didn't know there was a "Garoppolo" in the QB mix, funniest name I've ever heard... that's my guy for sure!
Old 12-31-2013   #65
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
First bolded: DAYUM, how long does it take then TK?

Second:

link
I wouldn't mind Schaub returning for $1M AFTER he is cut and we lose his $14M salary and take the $10M Dead Money hit to net the $4M cap savings this year and the millions in Future Salary in his current contract. But I'm also just as happy to keep Keenum and have a 'competition' in camp.
Old 12-31-2013   #66
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I must have misunderstood his contract; in this case you definitely cut him. As I said, QB #2 will be irrelevant if we go QB with the first pick. Whatever is good for the cap.
Why would you want to extend $7M of the Cap hit into 2015 when we need the space for Watt's extension? Take the hit THIS YEAR. The June 1 designation doesn't reduce the Cap hit, it only spreads it over two years. We can't afford to rob Peter to pay Paul anymore because Peter is too valuable.
Old 12-31-2013   #67
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Theodore Bridgewater
How long before we start calling him, "The Beave?"
Old 12-31-2013   #68
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Since I think we're still in "win now" mode, I'd try to get Cutler and I'd draft AJ McCarron for the future.

If it's financially possible, that is.
Signing Cutler would not. Drafting McCarron in the middle rounds would be.
Old 12-31-2013   #69
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

People are still mentioning Keenum as a starting NFL QB?

Short, can't read a defense, and didn't win a single start this year.

I'd much rather have a guy like Sanchez, Freeman, or even Ponder backing up a rookie QB. None of them are NFL starters, but they can win a few games for you if the rookie gets hurt
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #70
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13632 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
How long before we start calling him, "The Beave?"
Until he throws his 1st pick. Then he's Theodore again.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Colt McCoy is a broken QB at this point. Watched him twice in the preseason and he was terrible. Josh Freeman would be an interesting guy for to work with if his mind is right. Josh McCown and Chad Henne are 2 guys I wouldn't be just too upset with.

We're drafting a QB of the future. Whatever guy that comes in off the street at QB has to understand that the youngster may start from day 1 and be cool with it.
The way I'm looking at it is I'm trying to find our next starter & possibly franchise QB. We don't have a starter right now & though it would be nice to have a franchise QB, finding one in this draft is just as likely as finding one in last year's draft, or the 2011 draft.

In the event that Bridgewater is not a franchise QB, or even a starter, we're not totally screwed. Say we find out Cutler has 3 good years left in him. Or Freeman figured it out. Or... that Case isn't a lost cause.

I want three reasonable attempts at finding starter, one good attempt at finding a franchise QB. If they determine Bridgewater is a franchise guy, but isn't ready to start, but Colt (not that I think we should start Colt, but guys like Cutler, Freeman, McCown, & Flynn have shown they can) is, then the powers that be need to determine the best course of action to develop our franchise QB & win at the same time.

Was the Chargers mistake choosing Rivers over Brees? Or choosing Norv over Tomlin, Payton, McCarthy, Coughlin (not that they had a shot at him) or Harbaugh (not that they had a shot at him). It's more likely, in my mind, that one of those coaches would have won a Super Bowl in San Diego by now with Rivers, than Brees winning one with Norv Turner.

The Titans, Jags, & Vikings... their problem was trying to turn Locker, Gabbert, & Ponder into something they're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I don't know where the Manziel stuff is coming from. Enjoy watching him, but I can't see him here.
None of the QBs mentioned so far fit the mold of what is considered a "franchise" QB. Johnny, imo, is the only one who offers the play-making ability to offset his shortcomings... but, again- in my mind - not enough to warrant the #1 overall selection. Not enough to pass on legitimate elite talent.
Old 12-31-2013   #72
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Freeman intrigues me. He had a good year, then something went wrong. I wonder if it was coaching. But I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. This really isn't the time to start taking chances on guys, and that includes Cutler, who has reached his ceiling and is only going to go downhill.

We'll take Teddy with the first pick and let Obie mold him. I would rather go Clowney first and get a QB in the second round, but I think QB need is exaggerated this year because of the dumpster fire rotation of Schaub and Keenum.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #73
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Freeman intrigues me. He had a good year, then something went wrong. I wonder if it was coaching. But I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. This really isn't the time to start taking chances on guys, and that includes Cutler, who has reached his ceiling and is only going to go downhill.

We'll take Teddy with the first pick and let Obie mold him. I would rather go Clowney first and get a QB in the second round, but I think QB need is exaggerated this year because of the dumpster fire rotation of Schaub and Keenum.
I strongly agree.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #74
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

http://youtu.be/dmH7jvQN4zk

Bill O'Brien feels nowadays you need a QB who is practically a coach on the field. Who fits these parameters the best?
Old 12-31-2013   #75
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
http://youtu.be/dmH7jvQN4zk

Bill O'Brien feels nowadays you need a QB who is practically a coach on the field. Who fits these parameters the best?
Peyton Manning.

And................?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
Old 12-31-2013   #76
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Peyton Manning.

And................?
You are guilty of not viewing the video ma'am

I think our next coach is describing a certain someone to a T <sparkle in my grin>
Old 12-31-2013   #77
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68426 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Bobby Boucher is available. I'll take him.

If he won't sign, I'll take Josh McCown as my FA vet signing. Then I take Teddy Bridge Over Troubled Water to be my future star.

Josh looked pretty damn good taking over for Jay Cutler. I know he is getting up there but that's the point. I think he can be the bridge to the real bridge, while giving the Texans the luxury of not forcing the rookie to play before he is ready.

He is from Texas, so that is an advantage as well. I think he would sign here knowing that he is the short term present so I think the pecking order would be well set, and I think Bridge could learn from Josh who is in his mid 30's and been around a lot. Let Bridge hold a clipboard and learn until he is ready whenever that may be.

I keep Case around as my #3, and when Josh retires at the end of 2014 or 2015, Case moves to the #2 spot if all goes well.
Old 12-31-2013   #78
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice video, I'm liking the guy more and more.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #79
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
You are guilty of not viewing the video ma'am

I think our next coach is describing a certain someone to a T <sparkle in my grin>
Other than Matt McGroin, who do you think he's talking about?

Old 12-31-2013   #80
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Other than Matt McGroin, who do you think he's talking about?
Here's a story of a man named ____ ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read