Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2013   #41
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5047 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We pick up $4M right away to cut him. $11M if we designate him a June 1st cut. That might get you Vick or Cutler, maybe Brandon Albert or Eugene Monroe, or Paul Soliai, Daryl Smith, Karlos Dansby, Cromartie, Tillman, Whitner, Ihedigbo, or Phil Dawson......

One or two of those guys would help us focus more on BPA, than reach for a need.
I must have misunderstood his contract; in this case you definitely cut him. As I said, QB #2 will be irrelevant if we go QB with the first pick. Whatever is good for the cap.
Old 12-30-2013   #42
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We pick up $4M right away to cut him. $11M if we designate him a June 1st cut. That might get you Vick or Cutler, maybe Brandon Albert or Eugene Monroe, or Paul Soliai, Daryl Smith, Karlos Dansby, Cromartie, Tillman, Whitner, Ihedigbo, or Phil Dawson......

One or two of those guys would help us focus more on BPA, than reach for a need.
Man if we could land Soliai and Dansby our defense would be exciting
Old 12-30-2013   #43
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I would like to see what BOB could do with Keenum,
We've seen the best of Keenum already .... Sorry but if anyone was gonna do anything with Keenum , he's already been shown the door .... Woulda been a great story but .... they aint makin a Hollywood movie outa Keenum's story. He'll stick around as the backup , nothing more.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #44
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

The passing clinic Teddy B put on SAT night was a thing of beauty.

Guess who I want <wink>
Old 12-30-2013   #45
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5047 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
We've seen the best of Keenum already ....
I can't say that for sure...what QB short of Brady or Manning would find success working with a patch work Oline, practice squad RBs, 1 TE, and a lame duck HC that didn't want him starting in the first place?

The last point is important. If BOB is the QB guru people say he is, Keenum is skilled enough to work with. Somehow I doubt Kubiak was getting the best out of him...or anybody for that matter.
Old 12-30-2013   #46
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Theodore Bridgewater
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
We've seen the best of Keenum already .... Sorry but if anyone was gonna do anything with Keenum , he's already been shown the door .... Woulda been a great story but .... they aint makin a Hollywood movie outa Keenum's story. He'll stick around as the backup , nothing more.
I definitely don't think we've seen the best of Keenum; however, I still need to reiterate my point: I wanted the Texans to take both Wilson and Keenum that year as insurance policy for one another because of their small stature.

I insisted that Keenum needs to learn to avoid contact as much as possible, like Brees always does.
Wilson has been doing a good job of it, partly because he's quicker and faster, but partly because he's also smart in that way.
Keenum needs to learn to do the same.

The Texans still need another QB, but I'm unsure whether to go with a FA vet or a draft pick, or both.

I'm not sure I want to write off Yates either, but his ceiling seems to be almost there, since Keenum had leapfrogged him.

It's quite likely that Keenum is no more than a backup, but I think I'd like to see more.
There had been QBs that had it rougher than him.
Eli Manning, for example, if you go back and look into his first year.
He won one game, a meaningless game at the end of the season against the Cowboys, a team that was going nowhere, throwing for 144 yards.
Steve Young had a rough going at the beginning.
Bradshaw's numbers were pretty much last in the league, if you add all the major criteria together (compl pct, AYA, TD/Int ratio).
The teams these guys inherited weren't as bad as the Texans.
The Bucs sucked, but I doub!their ST was as bad.

it might well be that the Texans decide to draft a QB with the first pick, then so be it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #48
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Another guy wearing #8? Do you just want to recycle your Schaub jersey to Mettenberger that you previously recycled from Carr?
8 needs to be sh!tcanned forever from this team.

I too would like to see them sign Cutler, and draft either Bortles, or Manziel.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
8 needs to be sh!tcanned forever from this team.

I too would like to see them sign Cutler, and draft either Bortles, or Manziel.
I don't think Cutler is doable; it will make it very hard to resign Watt down the road.
He will want at least a two-year contract with quite a bit in guaranteed money up front.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #50
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum simply can not read defenses .... That's his fatal flaw.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #51
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are some who will be available:

Derek Anderson
Jimmy Clausen
Jay Cutler
Jordan Palmer
Josh McCown
Trent Edwards
Shaun Hill
Matt Flynn
Seneca Wallace
Chad Henne
Pat Devlin
Joe Webb
Josh Freeman
Luke McCown
Curtis Painter
David Garrard
Michael Vick
Charlie Whitehurst
Tarvaris Jackson
Colt McCoy
Kellen Clemens
Dan Orlovsky
Rusty Smith
Rex Grossman

Besides Cutler none of these guy really do anything for me.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #52
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Derek Carr? Only slightly joking. Very talented but struggles when pressured (where have I heard that before). He was going as high as #3 in mocks before that ugly bowl game against USC.

Bridgewater is obviously the #1 prospect going into the draft process and is the favorite to go #1 overall. I don't want any part of Manziel and his prima donna ***** attitude.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't think Cutler is doable; it will make it very hard to resign Watt down the road.
He will want at least a two-year contract with quite a bit in guaranteed money up front.
He's a 30 year old QB trying to sell his potential. He's not going to get "quite a bit" up front. No one is going to sign him as their starter for more than 2 years.

I think a fair offer would be 2 years, $25M guaranteed. I'd give him a $5M signing bonus, $5M salary, a roster bonus for 2015 & the rest in salary.

We're on the hook for $7.5M this year (that would be his cap number) & $2.5M next year if we cut him & go with Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, or whoever from then on.

That would have no effect on signing Watt & we're basically using the money gained by cutting Schaub.

At the most, where ever he goes (unless Chicago really pulls out the stupid) he won't have a cap number over $10M for the 2014 season. But I don't think he'll get that kind of offer. For Jay, this is his last chance to prove he's worth the kind of contract Matt signed 2 years ago.
Old 12-31-2013   #54
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

I would bring in Colt McCoy,
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #55
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
I would bring in Colt McCoy,
Colt McCoy is a broken QB at this point. Watched him twice in the preseason and he was terrible. Josh Freeman would be an interesting guy for to work with if his mind is right. Josh McCown and Chad Henne are 2 guys I wouldn't be just too upset with.

We're drafting a QB of the future. Whatever guy that comes in off the street at QB has to understand that the youngster may start from day 1 and be cool with it.

I don't know where the Manziel stuff is coming from. Enjoy watching him, but I can't see him here.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #56
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Tahj Boyd. We can get Clowney or Barr in the first. They are way more of a sure thing than Bridgewater who i still consider untested. He plays with inferior teammates and inferior competition. There will be a learning curve for him idc what the scouts say.

Then address oline with the next pick and take a flyer on a Tahj in the 3rd. Won't have to pay him much first few seasons and if he sucks oh well next years draft is really talented also. He is just as accurate if not more, more mobile and a better frame than bridgewater. He could be the wilson of 2k14, a talented qb flying under the radar. He's also performed well in some big pressure games.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #57
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

How about bringing in nothing but running QB's, bring Vick in for cheap and some young similar style QB's for backup. But this time we will tell them to run all the time, even have design run plays for them. And when one goes down with injuries just throw in the next one. Don't try to protect them at all, use their strengths unlike all the other teams. That would give defenses fits.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #58
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Peyton manning. Oh yeah - we had Schaub.

Aaron Rodgers free agent in 2020

Bridgewater- why not?
Old 12-31-2013   #59
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

hahaha Tahj Boyd and reunite him with Hopkins LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #60
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Here are some who will be available:

Derek Anderson
Jimmy Clausen
Jay Cutler
Jordan Palmer
Josh McCown
Trent Edwards
Shaun Hill
Matt Flynn
Seneca Wallace
Chad Henne
Pat Devlin
Joe Webb
Josh Freeman
Luke McCown
Curtis Painter
David Garrard
Michael Vick
Charlie Whitehurst
Tarvaris Jackson
Colt McCoy
Kellen Clemens
Dan Orlovsky
Rusty Smith
Rex Grossman

Besides Cutler none of these guy really do anything for me.
None of those guys do anything for me, including Cutler.

IF there's a QB you like, then you draft him and you let him learn on the field.

If there's NOT a QB you like, then you go with Keenum and suck for a year and get a shot at one of the QBs coming out next year. And/or you could also draft one of the later round QBs and hope you catch lightning in a bottle like the Seahawks did.

I'm not totally sold on Bridgewater, yet, but I'm hopeful.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read