Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2013   #741
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Thanks for making my point for me. Rick gets ALL the blame for Reed.

He never even asked Wade about Reed, just signed him. Don't even consult you DC before signing a starter?

I rest my case.
Im thinking Reed was Bobs doing .
Old 12-29-2013   #742
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think the word you're looking for is "figurehead"

cstylewhatever is saying that Rick is a token...

I hope that's not what you're saying.
I say exactly what I mean. You and I both know why he was hired and why he is still here.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #743
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It has to be.....................they are the same person.
Old 12-29-2013   #744
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I say exactly what I mean. You and I both know why he was hired and why he is still here.
Sorry.... now I know.
Old 12-29-2013   #745
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry.... now I know.
Neither one of y'all want Teddy so you still have that .
Old 12-29-2013   #746
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
1- Rick Smith's 1st round pick record since 2008 is better than any other NFL team during that period:
2008- Duane Brown
2009- Brian Cushing
2010- Kareem Jackson
2011- JJ Watt
2012- Winston Mercilus
2013- Deandre Hopkins

* by the way, you may not be happy with the amount of cap room the Texans have this year... However, the Texans cap is healthy. By healthy I mean there are not a bunch of upside down contracts that will lead to a series of difficult decisions and compromises the next couple years, while kicking the can down the road for three years, leading to an inevitable blowup of the team due to cap constraints.

Instead, the Texans can immediately clear $20 million in additional cap space this off-season without sacrificing future years and without destroying the team's talent base. Other than Brian Cushing and maybe Duane Brown, the can cut any of their higher paid veterans this off-season and it would grow the cap savings... In other words, the accelerated cap hit would be less than the cap charge due for that season... So, the makeup of the roster can be quickly adjusted when the new staff comes in.

When O'brien (hopefully) starts reviewing the roster, he is free to consider cutting or trading anyone on the roster other than Cushing and DBrown... It's a very good situation for a new staff.
Conviently left out OkOye.

There's more to the draft than the 1st rd. However I dont think Slick Rick had much say in the draft.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #747
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Eh I'm not going to fault anyone for Okoye. Dude had serious potential that he just wasted.
Old 12-30-2013   #748
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

After his rook season, seems to me Okoye was more focused on promoting football in Africa than playing football. What he was trying to promote in Africa was good thing but, he seems to forget what made him able to do these things that he wanted to do.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #749
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 3761 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Eh I'm not going to fault anyone for Okoye. Dude had serious potential that he just wasted.

Exactly and in his rookie he flashed that potential, but not so much after that.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #750
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
This has to be one of the most misguided attempts to rationalize the Texans draft history. FTFA:

Quote:
In identifying these metrics, we selected variables that could be (a) measured across all positions, (b) captured the usability and durability of each player (% of games played, career length), and (c) player quality (% of games started, Pro Bowl status).
So get this, even if you are starting horrible players and doing poorly (this case 2005-2009) you still get points as long as your team drafted those guys. So players like Okoye, Jacoby Jones, Travis Johnson, Fred Bennett, Zach Diles, etc starting, you still get points. No matter where they were drafted or how good they are in comparison to others at the same position around the league. That's just pointless to me. Case in point, the Cowboys were their number 3 team on that list. It's correlation, and nothing more.

This team is 2-14, and the GM who had an integral part in building it is still here. Debate all you want about his amount of power, if he can't take credit for the current state of the team, then he shouldn't have a job in the first place. Either he was an integral part of the Texans organization the last 5 years that has come full circle to a 2-14 record, or he's a useless yes-man that isn't worth keeping around in the first place.
Old 12-30-2013   #751
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
This team is 2-14, and the GM who had an integral part in building it is still here. Debate all you want about his amount of power, if he can't take credit for the current state of the team, then he shouldn't have a job in the first place. Either he was an integral part of the Texans organization the last 5 years that has come full circle to a 2-14 record, or he's a useless yes-man that isn't worth keeping around in the first place.
So how bad does Kansas City's GM look now? How 'bout them Cardinals?
Old 12-30-2013   #752
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for making my point for me. Rick gets ALL the blame for Reed.

He never even asked Wade about Reed, just signed him. Don't even consult you DC before signing a starter?

I rest my case.
Ed Reed was a BOB McNAIR pick. It was Uncle Bob who sent his plane to fetch Ed Reed. If you want to "blame" anyone for the Ed Reed decision, blame the bossman.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #753
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 2473 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It looks like it will take you 5 more years to figure out Rick Smith true role like it took 5 years to figure out Matt Schaub and David Carr are who they are. Only in Houston...
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #754
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
It looks like it will take you 5 more years to figure out Rick Smith true role like it took 5 years to figure out Matt Schaub and David Carr are who they are. Only in Houston...
Your mistake here is believing that people are always the same person.

The Matt Schaub that led the league in passing is a different person than the Matt Schaub that came back after his foot injury. The David Carr that was too scared to throw to anyone was a different guy than the one who was averaging 270 yards per game at the beginning of the 2004 season.

I don't know Rick Smith's true role because I'm not in the meetings, I'm not in the war-room during the drafts, I'm not the one hearing what the owner and coaches are saying. And neither are you. I don't know if Rick Smith should be fired because I don't know which decisions were strictly his and which decisions were ones he got over-ridden on. Bob McNair should know who is responsible for which screw-ups because he was there and he took part.

So I'm willing to wait and see.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #755
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So how bad does Kansas City's GM look now? How 'bout them Cardinals?
That Chiefs GM is currently working for NBC, and that Cardinals GM is now working for the Jets. If your saying those two teams should serve as models for the Texans (at least as far as how to deal with the GM), then I completely concur.
Old 12-30-2013   #756
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

If Cleveland is dumb enough to let the rest of the coaching staff leave with Chud, I'd love to see us grab Horton as DC; him as DC and O'Brien as HC would be the best of both worlds.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #757
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like the Browns are out on BO'B

Quote:
@RapSheet: #Browns CEO Joe Banner rules out candidates who interviewed last year. No R Horton, B O’Brien, M Zimmer, Whisenhunt
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #758
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Looks like the Browns are out on BO'B
Apparently Browns FO was not that impressed with the O'Brien interview, described as "rocky" and Zimmer must not interview well, he's been on quite a few.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #759
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Apparently Browns FO was not that impressed with the O'Brien interview, described as "rocky" and Zimmer must not interview well, he's been on quite a few.
The Browns better not burn bridges because I think they can't be real picky .
Old 12-30-2013   #760
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The Browns better not burn bridges because I think they can't be real picky .
Really. Just how desperate for a HCing job would a candidate have to be to sign on with that circus of a franchise? Lombardi and all. Geeze.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read