Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2013   #1
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3090 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected
Default O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...o-Happy-Valley

cliffs:
  • interview went well
  • really interviewed with 4 teams last year, not 2 (if any really thinks he's committed to college football...)
  • confident he'll get the gig
  • told his coaching staff to be prepared to come with him

Bill O'Brien
Head Coach

Stan Hixon
Assistant Head Coach / Wide Receivers Coach

John Butler
Defensive Coordinator/Cornerbacks Coach

Larry Johnson
Defensive Line Coach

Charles London
Running Backs Coach

Mac McWhorter
Offensive Line Coach

Anthony Midget
Safeties Coach

John Strollo
Tight Ends Coach

Craig Fitzgerald
Director of Strength and Conditioning

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...l-coaches.html

thoughts on the staff?
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
im glad its not lovie smith but ive read some bad reviews over at patsfans.com about obrien. a lot of pat fans dont think that highly of him.
that may be a good thing. lots of them don't think that highly of Belicheck too I think
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

so we are getting a bunch of college coach's to fill the Texans staff?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #4
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know anything about his staff, but I have no clue how all these Patriots assistants keep getting jobs.

Needless to say, I'm not thrilled about the hire.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #5
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
Don't know anything about his staff, but I have no clue how all these Patriots assistants keep getting jobs.
Maybe because they're not a sorry, moribund franchise like the Texans? They actually win.
Old 12-29-2013   #6
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
so we are getting a bunch of college coach's to fill the Texans staff?
We had a full NFL coaching staff this season, and look what happened. I dont really care if it is all college coaches are not. I just want someone who will hold players accountable, and jump their ass when they dont do their job. If anything else that right there is enough for me to be happy hiring these guys.
Old 12-29-2013   #7
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Who is the OC? The Assistant HC?

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2013   #8
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Maybe because they're not a sorry, moribund franchise like the Texans? They actually win.
Charlie Weis, Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels, Romeo Crennel. Truly the names that are synonymous with "winning."

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
If I understand the post correctly, he just listed the coaches and their positions at Penn St.... because he supposedly let them know, as a group, he plans to move to Houston and would like them with him.

There would be a number of additional hires and many of them would not take over the identical title... NFL staffs' are larger. I am having fun looking at the bios of some of these potential, new Texan assistant coaches.
Old 12-29-2013   #10
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not for this guy AT ALL. He rode Bradys coat tail for a few years and parlayed that into a job that not a lot of people wanted in Penn St. Sure he helped them through a rough patch, but all he did was make them AVERAGE in a bad conference. The school still had pedigree and brought in enough good recruits to beat up on crap schools and get dominated by better schools. His offensive system is not that great. I will say he is tough and seems to be able to lead guys, but we need a great leader AND an x and o type guy. An innovator who can adapt and hold guys accountable. I just don't think he is that guy.
Old 12-29-2013   #11
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Wiz is coming into interview and they might offer him the OC job, which would be a win I think. He's not HC material. The same with Romeo Crennel as a DC.

That's too much of a college crew, for O'Brian, and back to the same good ol' boy system that mired Kubiak's tenure.

We need a new WRs coach, but I would be sad to see Chick Harris go.

If I'm Bob McNair I'm going to get the best heads in the room and have the work together. We don't choose who we work with at our jobs. Our boss does that. If we want to win now I don't want to look like Penn State next year.

I'm not saying I don't like the O'Brian pick, because I do. I simply don't want another well-meaning yes man (which, true or false, is what this article implies - I'm going with false - fingers crossed).
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you trust the guy enough to make him the HC, then you trust him enough to put together his own staff.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #13
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
If you trust the guy enough to make him the HC, then you trust him enough to put together his own staff.
Exactly, we let Kubes do that until he proved he only cared about keeping his friends employed. I'd definitely trust a Belichek disciple over a friggin Shanahanigan.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #14
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...o-Happy-Valley

cliffs:
  • interview went well
  • really interviewed with 4 teams last year, not 2 (if any really thinks he's committed to college football...)
  • confident he'll get the gig
  • told his coaching staff to be prepared to come with him

Bill O'Brien
Head Coach

Stan Hixon
Assistant Head Coach / Wide Receivers Coach

John Butler
Defensive Coordinator/Cornerbacks Coach

Larry Johnson
Defensive Line Coach

Charles London
Running Backs Coach

Mac McWhorter
Offensive Line Coach

Anthony Midget
Safeties Coach

John Strollo
Tight Ends Coach

Craig Fitzgerald
Director of Strength and Conditioning

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...l-coaches.html

thoughts on the staff?
Will he have his choice on all those positions? I say don't hire him if he's going to bring all his friends. That's something Kubiak would want to do. All those people can't be the best choice available.

Seems OC is missing from his list.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Im not for this guy AT ALL. He rode Bradys coat tail for a few years and parlayed that into a job that not a lot of people wanted in Penn St. Sure he helped them through a rough patch, but all he did was make them AVERAGE in a bad conference. The school still had pedigree and brought in enough good recruits to beat up on crap schools and get dominated by better schools. His offensive system is not that great. I will say he is tough and seems to be able to lead guys, but we need a great leader AND an x and o type guy. An innovator who can adapt and hold guys accountable. I just don't think he is that guy.
I couldn't disagree more. He got great experience coaching with Brady and the preparation that it takes for them to run the great offense they did. Everything they did in that offense was all about preparation and adaptation.

He has the stones of a leader and holds people accountable. He is the anti Kubiak in that regard. I'm super excited for this HC assuming he gets the gig.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we should wait until the staff is filled before slamming it?

Or not. Your choice.
Old 12-29-2013   #17
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
where is the special teams coach???

ohh boy.....
you know, joe marciano is available and he knows his away around the city already. could be a good fit.

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #18
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Is there not a figure skating board missing an expert?
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Maybe we should wait until the staff is filled before slamming it?

Or not. Your choice.
Well there is the little issue of actually hiring him, also.
Old 12-29-2013   #20
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Well there is the little issue of actually hiring him, also.
Nah, we just blame it all on Rick Smith anyhow.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read