Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2013   #421
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
No, it's not. It's in their contracts. Schools can't have coaches telling recruits "I'm leaving LSU & going to Alabama" any more than they want their coaches harming their recruiting by telling the kids "Come to Penn State, but I probably won't be there".

My point is that I believe Mack Brown would still be the head coach of the Texas Longhorns if the decision was totally up to him. It wasn't. He isn't.

If the decision comes totally down to O'Brien, if the Texans say, "We want you." It will be O'Brien's decision to leave Pen State.

I understand it doesn't make sense for any college HC to say he's not staying. I never argued that point. I don't know if it's in their contracts or just common sense.
Old 12-29-2013   #422
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
That was Josh McDaniels not O'Brien. Ironically the hype I am seeing on O'Brien is similar to that I saw with McDaniels. If OB ends up the guy I definitely hope it doesn't turn out like McDaniels did.
McDaniels was his own worst enemy with the Cutler/Cassel ordeal.
Old 12-29-2013   #423
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 10390 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Browns could be in play for O'Brien if the reports are true that they have fired their coach. Their GM Lombardi has a relationship with Belichick.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #424
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco99 View Post
When Vince LOmbardi was the offensive coordinator the head coach told him not to bring the playbook on the practice field. Lombardi asked him why. The HC asked LOmbardi, "If the coaches can't remember the plays then how are the players supposed to remember the plays?"

Can you answer that question?
The Denny's menu is not the playbook. Kubiak doesn't hang on to it because he can't remember plays. It's the game plan, which the Players don't need to remember. All they have to do is execute it.

The offensive coordinator up in the booth has one just like it. It keeps them grounded. So when they have to make decisions on the fly they can use input from earlier in the week, when the bullets weren't flying, to make sound decisions.

It's not a script that has to be followed religiously, but for whatever situation they find themselves in, they can take information from the game, information from their game plan, and make sound decisions.
Old 12-29-2013   #425
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71957 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

~I think we're all missing the boat with Bill O'Brien. He has an Irish name and we all know that the GREAT Coaches were Irish!~
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #426
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco99 View Post
That was a great team BEFORE O'Brien arrived. They won the Super Bowl without O'brien.

How come Obrien's PSU team with superior talent could only convert ONE third down vs Syracuse? Obrien almost gave that game away on the first drive when he went for it on 4th and 7 from deep in his own end. He later said he thought it was 1st down. I guess he thought it was 1st and 7.
I meant to add you bring up some good points.

What do you think about Lovie Smith?
Old 12-29-2013   #427
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
~I think we're all missing the boat with Bill O'Brien. He has an Irish name and we all know that the GREAT Coaches were Irish!~
BIll and Nick are Croatian . Lombardi was dutch , and Dungy was Chech .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #428
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71957 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
BIll and Nick are Croatian . Lombardi was dutch , and Dungy was Chech .
Note the ~...~ marks. That's for SARCASM!
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #429
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh that's them newfangled things known only by you
Old 12-29-2013   #430
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
That was Josh McDaniels not O'Brien. Ironically the hype I am seeing on O'Brien is similar to that I saw with McDaniels. If OB ends up the guy I definitely hope it doesn't turn out like McDaniels did.
McDaniels might be a heck of a coach his second time around. He knows (or should know after going through the experience, then going back and discussing it with the guru) what he did wrong & possibly how to avoid it next time.

I'm sure O'Brien has had some valuable experiences as well that he can learn from.
Old 12-29-2013   #431
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Browns interviewed him last year and are probably hoping to swoop in and get him this time...
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #432
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Cleveland? So OB would rather go to a team that fires a coach after one year vs another team that gives a coach more than enough time to turn it around?

If he does that... meh. More power to him
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #433
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Cleveland? So OB would rather go to a team that fires a coach after one year vs another team that gives a coach more than enough time to turn it around?

If he does that... meh. More power to him
Exactly. If he wants to be fired next year then good luck in Cleveland. That is where I think Bob Mcnair makes the Houston job even sexier than it should be. Having a patient owner is a good thing when you're a head coach.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #434
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do not speak twitter but Bill B and Saban are Croatian .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #435
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think what new England coordinators didn't understand is how good Brady was to them. So egos got the best of them

Now At least O'brien got his feet wet as a head coach even if is in the college ranks.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #436
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

At the very least I think we can all agree that he has had success with both QBs he has had at Penn St, which is very important to me considering our situation.

His first year he took a former walk on who had done this in his previous two years:
448 attempts
54.2% completion
3119 yards
22 TDs
14 INTs

And did this with him:
446 attempts
60.5% completion
3271 yards
24 TDs
5 INTs

His second year he took a true freshman QB (granted, a very highly rated one) and did this:
392 attempts
58.9% completion
2955 yards
20 TDs
10 INTs

This tells me that he either has the ability to develop QBs or at least has an eye for QB talent. Both of those things are needed around here.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #437
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
two different personalities IMO. McDaniels came across as the smug, know it all, wonder-kid.

O'Brien seems to be more a red ass, take **** from no one, kind of guy.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #438
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
At the very least I think we can all agree that he has had success with both QBs he has had at Penn St, which is very important to me considering our situation.

His first year he took a former walk on who had done this in his previous two years:
448 attempts
54.2% completion
3119 yards
22 TDs
14 INTs

And did this with him:
446 attempts
60.5% completion
3271 yards
24 TDs
5 INTs

His second year he took a true freshman QB (granted, a very highly rated one) and did this:
392 attempts
58.9% completion
2955 yards
20 TDs
10 INTs

This tells me that he either has the ability to develop QBs or at least has an eye for QB talent. Both of those things are needed around here.
Good find from a stat perspective Bah. That's good to see. I really hope we pull this off.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #439
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

448 attempts
54.2% completion
3119 yards
22 TDs
14 INTs

And did this with him:
446 attempts
60.5% completion
3271 yards
24 TDs
5 INTs

392 attempts
58.9% completion
2955 yards
20 TDs
10 INTs

There's a reason he's called The Quarterback Whisperer.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #440
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 10980 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans organization has been as dynamic and motivated as a smack addict since since 2005; a hard-ass who doesn't tolerate limp wristed losers's mentality is exactly what we need. If the best available such HC is O'Brien, then count me in.

Fitzpatrick is legit.
burro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read