Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2013   #401
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
He had arguably the best up tempo offense in NFL history on the New England Patriots.
Hey ... you address Lovie with more respect .
Old 12-29-2013   #402
tuco99
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
I see where you're coming from, but to compare those Army teams' offenses to modern day offenses seems like you're comparing apples to oranges...I would imagine those offenses back in the day didn't have quite the number of plays as modern offenses do.

IS more plays more effective? Is it possible that they get to the point where players don't know the all the plays and the offense becomes less effective?
tuco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #403
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He had arguably the best up tempo offense in NFL history on the New England Patriots.
Thank you for setting this PSU joker straight. Pos rep.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #404
tuco99
Rookie

Quote:

O'Brien joined a BELICHIK and BRady lead team that had won 3 Super Bowls BEFORE he arrived. He did not teach Brady that offense when Brady was already the MVP BEFORE O'Brien arrived.

How come PSU only converted ONE third down vs Syracuse? They probably would have been a little more effective if they had Brady, Moss, Gronkowski and BELICHIK. I think we could say that about ANY team including the Texans.
Old 12-29-2013   #405
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Hey ... you address Lovie with more respect .
Now you know good and well that's not Lovie.... It's Wade. Saw him on his cell phone posting comments during the game. When we had the ball....
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #406
tuco99
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Thank you for setting this PSU joker straight. Pos rep.

That was a great team BEFORE O'Brien arrived. They won the Super Bowl without O'brien.

How come Obrien's PSU team with superior talent could only convert ONE third down vs Syracuse? Obrien almost gave that game away on the first drive when he went for it on 4th and 7 from deep in his own end. He later said he thought it was 1st down. I guess he thought it was 1st and 7.
Old 12-29-2013   #407
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco99 View Post
O'Brien joined a BELICHIK and BRady lead team that had won 3 Super Bowls BEFORE he arrived. He did not teach Brady that offense when Brady was already the MVP BEFORE O'Brien arrived.

How come PSU only converted ONE third down vs Syracuse? They probably would have been a little more effective if they had Brady, Moss, Gronkowski and BELICHIK. I think we could say that about ANY team including the Texans.
All he needed this year was McGloin .
Old 12-29-2013   #408
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was a great team BEFORE O'Brien arrived. They won the Super Bowl without O'brien.

How come Obrien's PSU team with superior talent could only convert ONE third down vs Syracuse? Obrien almost gave that game away on the first drive when he went for it on 4th and 7 from deep in his own end. He later said he thought it was 1st down. I guess he thought it was 1st and 7.
Remind all of us posters the final score of that game?
Old 12-29-2013   #409
tuco99
Rookie

Old 12-29-2013   #410
tuco99
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Remind all of us posters the final score of that game?
As I remember it was 24-17 but SU had a chance at the end of the game and Trevor Williams had a pick in the endzone.

Did you see the 62 -13 Ohio State game? What did you think of the defensive adjustments in which Obrien and Butler moved Adrian Amos to safety? OSU had WRs wide open with lead blockers and no defenders in sight. It only took Obrien and Butler 10 freaking games to move Amos back to CB. The fans knew it was a mistake by game two and it took the coaches 10 games to admit the fans were right.
Old 12-29-2013   #411
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As I remember it was 24-17 but SU had a chance at the end of the game and Trevor Williams had a pick in the endzone.
So Penn State.......won? BUT WHAT ABOUT THE THIRD DOWNS
Old 12-29-2013   #412
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude, do you even watch football?
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #413
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Geez who left the gate open and let this PSU clown out?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #414
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You are confusing different issues, I think:

I don't think people are wanting O'Brien because they believe he was largely behind the success of the Patriots.

Speaking for myself, I see his time in New England as a great learning opportunity that he had (whether he maximized it or not is another question)... I don't care, either way, whether other Belicheck disciples have been successful head coaches or not. I think it is worth looking at to see if there is a common reason, beyond those individuals (McDaniels, Romeo, Weis), why they have failed that can be traced directly back to their time in New England... And, I don't see it.

Most of us are excited about O'Brien for two reasons, I think:

1. Strong leader- I love that he has a defined, clear philosophy on offense and defense. He articulates his vision well. People are quick to buy-in to what he's doing...

2. Coaching Philosophy predicated on creating favorable matchups, exploiting the weaknesses of an opponent, making quick in-game adjustments, and using unpredictablility on offense/defense to create uncertainty and confusion.

* Perhaps there are better options available. Perhaps O'brien will be a poor NFL head coach. I can not say with certainty what will happen. However, I know what this organization has been missing from the head coaching position (and I'm a Kubiak fan). His strengths match-up almost exactly with Kubiak's weaknesses. So, all of the fans who have been frustrated with years by Kubiak are going to be over-the-moon as they get to know O'Brien... at least until (if) he fails.
Old 12-29-2013   #415
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When Vince LOmbardi was the offensive coordinator the head coach told him not to bring the playbook on the practice field. Lombardi asked him why. The HC asked LOmbardi, "If the coaches can't remember the plays then how are the players supposed to remember the plays?"

Can you answer that question?
You know something else Vince Lombardi never did? He never ran the West Coast Offense.

I guess that makes Bill Walsh and who knows how many other coaches stupid for doing things different than Lombardi.
Old 12-29-2013   #416
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

O'Brien runs the same style of offense that I would run if I were a coach so I'm totally for this. Uses his personnel to create favorable matchups and then takes advantage of them.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #417
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

One that screams and hollars and leads by intimidation is usually not a good recipe for success (Singletary). Also there may not be that many NFL jobs openings as usual and one reason O'Brien may seem to quick to want to join the Texans. Maybe his phone isn't ringing like he thought it would. And with things going sour in State College and the NCAA scholarship sanctions starting to really take there effect next year, now might be the best time for O'Brien to close the Penn St. door behind him.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #418
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was Josh McDaniels not O'Brien. Ironically the hype I am seeing on O'Brien is similar to that I saw with McDaniels. If OB ends up the guy I definitely hope it doesn't turn out like McDaniels did.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #419
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
So Penn State.......won? BUT WHAT ABOUT THE THIRD DOWNS
Tuco was correct. Penn State was 1-16 for third downs that game so it's not like he isn't speaking in a factual manner in that regard.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #420
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
.. please don't take our coach, please don't take our coach, please don't take our coach ..
What I hear.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read