Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2013   #61
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans plan to hire new coach by Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
If he needs to be fired then fire him. Maybe if O'Brien is hired he will personally request it.

I hope your right I hope your right
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #62
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

How Bill O'Brien won over the Houston Texans: Tom Brady fight only helped new coach in waiting
Quote:
The Houston Texans are closing in on landing the No. 1 target of their head coaching search: Penn State University coach Bill O'Brien. CultureMap was the first news outlet anywhere to report that O'Brien was the Texans' top choice to be the team's new coach back on Dec. 18.

A source close to the search tells CultureMap that Texans owner Bob McNair started leaning toward O'Brien early in the search and never let the prospect of having to possibly pay a $6.7 million buyout to Penn State to land the former Bill Belichick disciple faze him.

"McNair loves O'Brien's toughness," the source says.

Bob McNair started leaning toward O'Brien early in the search and never let the prospect of having to pay a big buyout faze him.

Now, ESPN's NFL insiders Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter are reporting that the Texans and O'Brien -- arguably the most impressive head coaching candidate available-- are working on getting a contract done...

The early start — a source tells CultureMap that the Texans contacted coaches through back channels to determine who would be legitimately interested in the head job in the probability it opened up even before Kubiak was fired — gave McNair and Texans general manager Rick Smith a jump on the other teams that hoped to court O'Brien.

McNair's long desired a tougher, more mentally strong team. He cited that as a priority after the Texans blew a golden opportunity to be the AFC's No. 1 seed late in the 2012 season...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #63
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'll be glad when they hire whomever as head coach. Then the process of filling his coaching staff can begin, which can be just as interesting as the HC himself.
It sure can be.

Mangini as DC

Who would be the ST coach?

Scarnecchia (SP) Spygate is coming to Houston, Hopefully Lombardi's too.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #64
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone with any legitimate credentials would be an upgrade for ST Coach. It's a win/win situation.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #65
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Schefter this a.m. on ESPN:

"I'm told this could get done by the end of the week. Now I'm also told there have been no contract discussions to date and that to think it could get done early this week might be a bit premature. But when we speak to people around the league there seems to be widespread consensus that it is hard to image that Bill O'Brien doesn't wind up going to Houston and becoming the next head coach of the Houston Texans.

Here's a man who cut his teeth in the NFL, knows the NFL, has a creative mind, would bring a lot of energy and excitement to the Houston offense and the organization. He looks the be the guy that the Texans organization is dialed into getting and focused into getting and eventually, when we speak to people around the NFL, they believe that Houston will get its man."

Depends on when Schefter's "week" begins & ends, but still firm in his reporting.
Old 12-29-2013   #66
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point I'm with Thomas Holley and won't believe that O'brien takes the job until we all see him sitting down with Bob McNair at a presser in Houston. Hell, O'brien doesn't even know what his other options might be until this week when the regular NFL season is over and the owners have completed their annual blood-letting. Their could be 3 or 4, maybe a half dozen job openings develope between now and Tuesday night.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #67
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I just retweeted this...

NFL Media PR ‏@InsideNFLMedia 17m
From @RapSheet on Bill O'Brien & Texans: "He is so confident he’s getting this job he’s told staff members be ready to come with me."

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
How Bill O'Brien won over the Houston Texans: Tom Brady fight only helped new coach in waiting
Quote:
The early start — a source tells CultureMap that the Texans contacted coaches through back channels to determine who would be legitimately interested in the head job in the probability it opened up even before Kubiak was fired — gave McNair and Texans general manager Rick Smith a jump on the other teams that hoped to court O'Brien.

I'm not seeing it as a jump or advantage. If we can put out feelers before firing our head coach, chances are the other teams did the same thing. So the Texans interviewed a man who has a good idea which teams are interested. The Texans obviously left that interview feeling that O'Brien is ready to take the job.

The only thing I'd worry about is if other teams contacted O'Brien since they heard he is our leading candidate & O'Brien has a better option available to him than he did at the time of the interview..... say Pittsburgh decided it's time to move on, so they send word to O'Brien's people that they want him. Or Belichick decides to step down & identifies O'Brien as his heir apparent. Those kinds of things can change the landscape & Houston most likely won't know until Tuesday. Unless O'Brien is a stand-up guy & he calls Bob (because Rick is obviously taking a back seat on this decision) & hints that he has other options he needs to weigh.

On the other hand, Wisenhunt will probably be interviewed because O'Brien left the Texans with the understanding that he wants to wait & see what other options present themselves come Monday.

With that in mind, if their top prospect ends up being the guy the choose, I'm fine with what has transpired so far. If not, then I'd like to see the Texans talk to the Seahawks DC or the Bengals DC before making up their mind.
Old 12-29-2013   #69
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
At this point I'm with Thomas Holley and won't believe that O'brien takes the job until we all see him sitting down with Bob McNair at a presser in Houston. Hell, O'brien doesn't even know what his other options might be until this week when the regular NFL season is over and the owners have completed their annual blood-letting. Their could be 3 or 4, maybe a half dozen job openings develope between now and Tuesday night.
I understand that many people on this board hate Houston, the Texans, McNair, Rick Smith, and every player on the team except AJ and JJ (both of whom you are convinced will demand to be traded).

Reality is the Texans HC job is as good or better than any NFL HC job that will be available. The Texans roster has a lot of high level talent. As much as SF or Seattle? No, but those jobsare not coming open. The owner is committed to winning, but not a meddler. If a $5000,000 hydronukeblastalaster will help you win, McNair will buy it for you. I know folks think McNair is a raving id!ot and a terrible judge of everything related to football because the Texans have not won a Super Bowl yet. But what about those "model franchises" theSteelers and the Patriots? How many years before they won their first championships? Maybe they snuck one in, but I'm thinking Steelers over 50 years, Patriots about 40.

If I was O'Brien I wouldn't let the hope of Oakland or Cleveland or Detroit cost me a job in Houston.
Old 12-29-2013   #70
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
On the other hand, Wisenhunt will probably be interviewed because O'Brien left the Texans with the understanding that he wants to wait & see what other options present themselves come Monday.
Link?
Old 12-29-2013   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Link?
Did you see that word "probably" I'm just trying to figure out why the Texans would interview a fourth candidate if their top choice had a good interview & he remains their top choice.
Old 12-29-2013   #72
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Did you see that word "probably" I'm just trying to figure out why the Texans would interview a fourth candidate if their top choice had a good interview & he remains their top choice.

Probably because the Texans had already let it be known that they were interested in interviewing Wisenhunt, and it would be foolish not to interview anyone that they had any interest in.

Your probably was tied into bringing Wisenhunt in and did not seem to tie to O'Brien thinking he wanted to explore the market.
Old 12-29-2013   #73
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans ownership showing some urgency for once?! I don't know if this deal will happen on Tuesday, but I do find it strange. I hope they do get a coach soon so that this abhorrent season behind them and move forward.
Old 12-29-2013   #74
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
In another 48 hours there will likely be another 4-5 NFL HC openings. I am not naive enough to be believe that talks only begin after a coach is fired. I do believe that back channel discussions have been ongoing for almost all teams looking for a new head coach.
just saying....
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #75
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Probably because the Texans had already let it be known that they were interested in interviewing Wisenhunt, and it would be foolish not to interview anyone that they had any interest in...
It's called doing your due diligence. I'm sure they drew up a strategic plan with the consultant, and you follow through on that.

But it's obvious O'Brien was so impressive that Mr. McNair fell in love. And Robert Kraft will strongly recommend McNair as one of the top owners in the league to work for to Bill O'Brien, his former employee. McNair wants his hire-him-and-keep-him Head Coach like Kraft has. He desires that same organizational stability. He knows turnover at the top puts you behind the eight ball.
Old 12-29-2013   #76
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
It's called doing your due diligence. I'm sure they drew up a strategic plan with the consultant, and you follow through on that.

But it's obvious O'Brien was so impressive that Mr. McNair fell in love. And Robert Kraft will strongly recommend McNair as one of the top owners in the league to work for to Bill O'Brien, his former employee. McNair wants his hire-him-and-keep-him Head Coach like Kraft has. He desires that same organizational stability. He knows turnover at the top puts you behind the eight ball.
Yeah! That's what I meant...
Old 12-29-2013   #77
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

i like this hire.

saw the hbo real sports segment on obrien, how he has turned around penn state, and living with his special needs son.

A real head coach who has fire in him and wont be afraid to call guys out for sucking at their jobs (see his sideline rift with tom brady) unlike kubiak who will baby incompetent players and coaches.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #78
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be glad when they do hire someone so we can get a jump on b!tching about who is on his staff and his supposed draft picks he hasn't picked yet. After setting all these wonderful turnover records this year, it would be nice to know we are b!tching about our new coach before the other teams fans can.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #79
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'll be glad when they do hire someone so we can get a jump on b!tching about who is on his staff and his supposed draft picks he hasn't picked yet. After setting all these wonderful turnover records this year, it would be nice to know we are b!tching about our new coach before the other teams fans can.
Old 12-29-2013   #80
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
What precedent is there for coach/QB combinations moving from college to nfl?

Guess it's hard to quantify the effect really but on the flip side of any positives you are asking two key personnel to transfer their skill set to the pros at once and need them both to succeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Don't be surprised to see O'Brien target Ohio QB Tyler Tettleton late in the draft. He's seen him up close after Tettleton marched his team into Happy Valley and knocked off Penn State to start the 2012 season.

Also, don't be shocked if O'Brien targets Nebraska walk-on QB Ray Kellogg as an undrafted Free Agent after he led his Nebraska team to a win in Happy Valley in place of the injured Taylor Martinez late this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Hahaha. MSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I HIGHLY doubt that happens. Texian is reaching pretty hard there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
WF wasn't trying to be silly, he was just using humor to show that even though you weren't trying to be silly, in fact - you were being silly.
The junior, who Penn State coach Bill O’Brien referred to as a pro prospect earlier this week, picked apart the Lions’ secondary from the start, leading the Knights’ 13-play, 89-yard drive with ease to begin the game.

Lions’ defensive coordinator John Butler said Bortles did a great job of neutralizing the Lions’ pass rush — which amassed zero sacks — by not giving the defensive line much time to finish their rushing patterns.

“Quick decision making,” Butler said of Bortles’ best trait. “He was making his decision about where he wanted to throw the ball quickly. He threw it, and the receivers made plays.”

The junior quarterback also found ways to hurt the Lions with the deep ball, targeting an inexperienced secondary group that often came up short in coverage.

With the Knights leading 21-10 in the middle of the third quarter, Bortles felt the pressure on 2nd-and-10 and lofted a high-arching pass right into Josh Reese’s outstretched arms for the touchdown to give the Knights an 18-point lead.

This was one of many instances when Bortles bought time in the pocket before fitting a deep pass into a small area, which is exactly what O'Brien said makes defending him such a difficult task.

“Any time you have a quarterback like that with a strong arm, who’s big and can stand in the pocket and can run, it’s a very difficult challenge,” O’Brien said. “He played a great game tonight. Credit to him. I think he’s a heck of a player.”

Even when Penn State clawed back into the game late in the second half, bringing bursts of energy back into the Beaver Stadium crowd, Bortles answered.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/footbal...a4bcf6878.html
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read