Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2013   #281
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Great. Agreed. But this year was the same bull that we experienced from 2002-2006.

I don't want to re-live that BS and I know Dre won't either. Time to find a winning coach. And find it now.

All the pieces are there, implant a QB and a OL/pass rusher and we will be back to normal. No more rebuilding.

Win NOW.
This guy is by far the best candidate available. Who the hell wants Lovie Smith? Whisenhunt? We'd look like the same old Texans. This guy is a leader and knows a thing or two about a thing or two. This team is going to change if they get him and it's going to be good for everyone.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #282
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Remember our offense without Andre? Think about this season if we were without him.

Lmao! We. Have. Two. Wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #283
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
This is guy is by far the best candidate available. Who the hell wants Lovie Smith? Whisenhurt? We'd look like the same old Texans. This guy is a leader and knows a thing or two about a thing or two. This team is going to change if they get him and it's going to be good for everyone.
Says all 11+ Patriot assistant coaches that have been hired as head coaches/coordinators.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #284
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Lmao! We. Have. Two. Wins.

Lmao! We. Would. Have. Zero. Wins.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #285
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans84 View Post
says all 11+ patriot assistant coaches that have been hired as head coaches/coordinators.
Who then?!
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #286
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Says all 11+ Patriot assistant coaches that have been hired as head coaches/coordinators.

As long as O'Brien doesn't walk in with a "I worked for Bellichek and I know everything" attitude, he may have a shot at success. That's what brought down those other coaches: ego.

We need a tougher coach, but we don't need an egotistical jerk. There is a difference.

Old 12-28-2013   #287
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Charlie Fisher as QB coach? http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...charlie-fisher

Vanderlinden for defense? http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...-leave-program
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Vanderlinden
Old 12-28-2013   #288
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Lmao! We. Would. Have. Zero. Wins.

That's your answer? Settling for two wins because we could have had zero? Wow.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but those two wins were almost losses, I believe. Didn't we barely win those two games?

Old 12-28-2013   #289
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are the coaches that O'Brien worked for before becoming the HC at Penn St.

Mark Whipple
George O'Leary
Ralph Friedgen
Chan Gailey
Ted Roof
Bill Belichick

Not the greatest coaching tree in history but a lot of good coaches on that list. If he learned from the strengths and weaknesses of each then he has a shot to be a great coach.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #290
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 84406 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground....

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was

Full song here by Talking Heads:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/t/talking..._20135070.html
This is one of the dangers of listening to too much music. Repeated absurd lyrics reduce your IQ and put your sanity at risk.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #291
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Remember our offense without Andre? Think about this season if we were without him.
Well, I am thinking about 2011 when Andre was either out/ or hobbled after week two... We are damn good that year!

He's a great player. However, this is the NFL and clearly one WR doesn't impact success/failure nearly as much as you believe. This year: healthy and productive AJ= 2-13... I believe he's the only Texan player in its history to be on two 13 loss teams.
Old 12-28-2013   #292
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
This is one of the dangers of listening to too much music. Repeated absurd lyrics reduce your IQ and put your sanity at risk.
nah my sanity was a t risk way before Talking Heads as I lived through the 60s and 70s. Now the 80s were pretty good.
Old 12-28-2013   #293
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited for the Texans if they get this guy. IMHO best candidate by far and a guy who will change the attitude. I've yet to read one negative thing about this guy in weeks on Twitter and was gung ho on him from Day 1.
Old 12-28-2013   #294
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 84406 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Yes, he did. My point was that he clearly was not "just" a Rooney Rule candidate.

It's always good when one candidate is both legitimate and fulfills silly guidelines. We do candidates no favors if they aren't serious candidates at the outset. Dog and Pony shows should be left to Dogs and Ponys.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #295
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Put your money where your mouth is. I will bet you $100 that Bill O'Brien lead us to a Super Bowl. This guy has done a phenomenal job at Penn State. He will change the culture at Reliant Park and you will be gushing about him soon. Those with knowledge of the NFL have been raving about this guy. Finally, he will be the one Belichick guy to be successful.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #296
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I'd be interested in O'Brien, but there are a couple of things I worry about. His success with NE doesn't mean much to me since Brady and Bellichek are all that's need there.

What kind of offense is he running at Penn State? Are they running the spread or a pro style offense
and there is the issue of the lack of success of Bellichek assistants as NFL HCs in the past.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #297
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Put your money where your mouth is. I will bet you $100 that Bill O'Brien lead us to a Super Bowl. This guy has done a phenomenal job at Penn State. He will change the culture at Reliant Park and you will be gushing about him soon. Those with knowledge of the NFL have been raving about this guy. Finally, he will be the one Belichick guy to be successful.
I like the idea of hiring O'Brien but I'm not going to act like I know whether or not he is going to be successful. That's just silly, he's never been a head coach in the NFL before.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #298
badboy
Site Contributor

Wonder when they announce if contract agreed upon? Another thread says one other interview before Tues.
Old 12-28-2013   #299
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wonder when they announce if contract agreed upon? Another thread says one other interview before Tues.

Well, we're now in the messy stage of job negotiations: money and details. This could take a few days of back and forth before a deal is reached.

Old 12-28-2013   #300
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Please tell us what head coach asked for less money, less control, accountability and responsibility. So if Rick Smith is to remain a nobody are you saying that Bob McNair is going Jerry Jones? Who was last owner prior to McNair to fire a head coach in season?
I'm not saying Shaw will try to negotiate less money. I'm saying what makes you think he can negotiate $7M & what makes you think Bob won't pay him $7M.

I'm not saying Shaw will ask for less accountability or responsibility, but what makes you think he warrants it as a first time NFL head coach & what makes you think Bob's mind is closed on the subject?

& Bob doesn't have to be Jerry. He can very well assign final say on the 53 to Shaw. Precedence has been set with Kubiak. At the same time he may bring someone in (Luck maybe) to be VP of football operations like Elway. We don't know.

But you are the one (not me) saying what Bob will & will not do & I'm just asking what are you basing your assumptions on. If you didn't write so well, and come across as an educated (wo)man, I'd have half a mind to believe you're my old friend GP who would fabricate conversations between two people who never met & allow that fictitious conversation to alter his reality, forever spiraling into a world of make believe 'til he couldn't differentiate between reality & fantasy.

But you're not that guy. Can't be.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read