Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-27-2013   #141
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
You mean like the bleacher report that you scoff at?
I really have no idea. Just passing along what I was hearing from someone who lives in Atlanta and is an Atlanta Falcons season ticket holder. That's why I prefaced my post with FWIW (for what it's worth)... you can take it or you an leave it.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #142
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think maybe you misunderstood the question. He was asked for a comparison in terms of quality, not in style, physical attributes or mental acuity.
well then I guess he nailed it. both graded out 9.41 per ourlads funny, lol by that I mean Matt Ryan & Cam Newton. expect Bridgewater to grade out much higher, FWIW higher than Stafford, 9.77 or Sam Bradford, 9.78. But that really means little, what matters is where will he be graded in the pros three years from now, which again I'll come back to Newton but then who knows for sure

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #143
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I heard that, not sure what to make out of it other than Jeremiah was ill prepared cause normally like his work. Look Teddy is a rhythm QB & if there is one thing Matt Ryan is not, is a rhythm QB. What I mean by that is Ryan is very mechanical in his movements, like his QB coach is in his head reminding him to keep his elbow high & tucked in, look off dbs, keep feet moving & hold finish. Teddy just lets it rip, fluid & without hesitation.
I respect your talent evaluation & this may be a thing of semantics.... but that's not a rhythm QB. Schaub is a rhythm QB. His feet & his reads are tied together. He gets the ball out on time.

I haven't seen a true rhythm QB come out of the college ranks in a long time. Most of them are one read, scramble (whether behind the LOS, or towards the chains). Some hide it better than others, but very few of them execute a 3 step drop the way it's supposed to be done.
Old 12-28-2013   #144
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
What team has ever filled all their holes in one year?
You can put name to a roster spot but that doesn't mean squat; ref our QB situation.
Can you read?

I said most (Not all)

The talent in this yrs draft is at OL/DL/LB/WR.

It fits with the major needs the Texans currently have. Excluding CB/S/QB. This should be the yr the Texans should be able to fill 4 needs in the draft if they do their homework, because of the talent level of this draft and the Texans draft position, regardless of scheme.

Now can Rick Smith execute what it takes to add atleast 4 difference makers in this draft? I've got serious doubts. (Just remember nothing is ever Slck Rick's fault)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #145
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I agree that Clowney is really showing his lack of maturity here. Dude is on pace to be a top 3 pick and he decides that speeding (and getting caught) on multiple occasions is a good idea? He is no longer on my short list. I like football players with maturity, smarts, and accountability. Not sure that Clowney has any of those.
Speeding, Really?

What 20-25 yr old hasn't driven a car over 100 mph.

I drove my car 25 mph over the speed limit Thursday. I just didn't get caught. It seems as though A. People dont rember what it was like to be a 20 yr old. B. Are looking for any reason possible to not pick Clowney or any reason to justify picking Bridgewater.

Why? Because the Texans need a QB? The worst decision is forcing a QB at 1-1. See J.Russell/D.Carr/T.Couch etc......
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #146
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Speeding, Really?

I drove my car 25 mph over the speed limit Thursday. I just didn't get caught. It seems as though A. People dont rember what it was like to be a 20 yr old. B. Are looking for any reason possible to not pick Clowney or any reason to justify picking Bridgewater.

Why? Because the Texans need a QB? The worst decision is forcing a QB at 1-1. See J.Russell/D.Carr/T.Couch etc......
Yes, Speeding, REALLLY!

I drove over 100mph once in my life. But the difference is that I was not about to be negotiating a million dollar contract depending on my draft status.

And save me the argument that taking a QB 1-1 means it is forcing it when we all value these guys differently. Every player thrives and fails for different reasons.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #147
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speeding, Really?

I don't think it's the "just speeding" that irks people. He's acted immature all year and plays like he doesn't even care 50% of the time.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #148
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don't think it's the "just speeding" that irks people. He's acted immature all year and plays like he doesn't even care 50% of the time.
While I'd prefer this 20 year old listen to competent advisers, it would be the exception rather than the rule if he actually listened. Kids usually have to make a few mistakes in order to learn. Too bad we can't look into the future and see if he grows up or stays a kid.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #149
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now can Rick Smith execute what it takes to add atleast 4 difference makers in this draft? I've got serious doubts. (Just remember nothing is ever Slck Rick's fault)
2009 he got us Cushing, Barwin, Glover, & McCain.

Cushing was DROY (twice), Barwin had a great year coming off the bench. I think Glover was our best CB his rookie year & McCain also had a good rookie year.

I don't know if that fits your bill as "difference makers" but I think they all contributed very well their rookie year. I'd be thrilled if he can do that again.

2011 he got us JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, & Tj Yates... not bad, but Brooks & JJ started coming on at the end of the year & Tj did pretty good considering his playing meant we lost our starting QB (& still made the play-offs, & won a play-off game).

Hopefully some of those other picks that didn't make a difference right off will start to pay off. DeAndre had a good year, hopefully he can repeat. Swag is a player, let's just hope he hasn't earned a bad rep. Hopefully Brooks can continue to develop.

We're all hoping for Brennan & Q to be 100% healthy and pick up where they left off. Mercilus might do better in a 4-3. Hopefully Brandon Harris can finally get out of the dog house. & Crick turns into the solid player we need him to be. Garrett Graham & I like Ryan Griffin, but we need someone better than OD was.
Old 12-28-2013   #150
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
While I'd prefer this 20 year old listen to competent advisers, it would be the exception rather than the rule if he actually listened. Kids usually have to make a few mistakes in order to learn. Too bad we can't look into the future and see if he grows up or stays a kid.
Agreed. I think his knucklehead antics just scare a lot of guys because they don't want to waste this #1 pick. We need a QB, but a lot of people don't see a QB worth the #1 pick and the guy who is touted as the most talented guy in the draft has been acting like an idiot for the last 5 months.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #151
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the crazy thing. Back in August, Clowney was the unanimous top talent in this draft. It wasn't even a debate. He was the surefire #1 pick. Things have changed, obviously.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #152
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

We're all hoping for Brennan & Q to be 100% healthy and pick up where they left off.
Where exactly did Williams "leave off"? He only played what? 3 snaps in camp?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #153
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
This made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #154
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting snap #4... I honestly don't want to reach with that #1 pick. I want them to take the BPA period. A healthy Brennan Williams would make us less likely to "need" an OT
Old 12-29-2013   #155
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
A ton of people have pointed this out as being a misconception.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #156
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Go with Clowney and make sure you have your lawyers retainer up to date and that your bailbondsman is on speed dial.
Old 12-29-2013   #157
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Go with Clowney and make sure you have your lawyers retainer up to date and that your bailbondsman is on speed dial.
you sound very...... experienced in such matters

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #158
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
well then I guess he nailed it. both graded out 9.41 per ourlads funny, lol by that I mean Matt Ryan & Cam Newton. expect Bridgewater to grade out much higher, FWIW higher than Stafford, 9.77 or Sam Bradford, 9.78. But that really means little, what matters is where will he be graded in the pros three years from now, which again I'll come back to Newton but then who knows for sure
Is that on a scale of 10?
Old 01-02-2014   #159
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

2014 NFL Draft: Scout compares Jadeveon Clowney to Randy Moss

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

Quote:
“He's a modern day Randy Moss,” said an AFC East scout on Clowney. “J.C. doesn't have the same type of criminal background as Randy did when he was his age, but the dependence on natural talent and problematic effort concerns are very similar. Difference is, Clowney won't fall out of the top-seven like Randy did.”

The “effort” concerns don't exist because his statistics dipped in 2013 compared to last season, but rather because he appeared tentative and fatigued too often during his junior year. Was he playing not to get hurt or are there legitimate effort concerns?

“In high school, he was the best player on the field. Same in the SEC,” the scout added. “But he needs to realize that won't be the case in the league. If he wants to have a career longer than a few seasons, the kid needs to wake up, add some glass to his diet and understand that it'll take a lot more work during the week.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #160
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Better bet: Dominant DE or top QB?

Quote:
In the weeks leading up the 2006 NFL draft, with fans and media debating what Houston should do with the first overall pick, then-Texans general manager Charley Casserly placed a call to Mike Tannenbaum, the New York Jets' new general manager at the time. Casserly was preparing to make a critical selection for a floundering franchise and wanted to explore the possibility of a trade. But when Casserly asked Tannenbaum what he was willing to give up for the pick, he was struck by the reply. "I think you've got it backwards, Charley," Tannenbaum said. "I'm wondering what you'll give me to take that pick off your hands..."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read