Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2013   #61
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade Away AJ this off-season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
A really cool feature overthecap added recently.

Salary Cap Calculator

Cool find! From playing around with the tool it looks like we will need to restructure lots of contracts in order to have significant cap savings.

Question: What happens to a coaches that are part of trades and you let them go? Do they not qualify towards cap hits or anything like players?

I wish that things were simplified in that once a player is traded or cut, the contract is void. Get rid of the guarantees and only pay out bonuses. Makes no sense to pay players if they're injured. Seems harsh but from a business standpoint and to keep teams competitive it makes sense IMO.

Or maybe not...
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #62
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

why not colts at a time had no issues in almost trading away Reggie wayne they didn't tho

steelers straight Cut Hines ward didn't they

If we go full blown Rebuild next year then yeah I can see getting rid of AJ

look at what the colts did they went full blown Rebuild 2 years ago and still went 11-2 and made the playoffs LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #63
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
why not colts at a time had no issues in almost trading away Reggie wayne they didn't tho

If we go full blown Rebuild next year then yeah I can see getting rid of AJ

look at what the colts did they went full blown Rebuild 2 years ago and still went 11-2 and made the playoffs LOL
1. And now without Wayne the Colts offense has sputtered and basically became a roller coaster. I am sure they feel a bit silly if they even entertained that thought and probably feel they need to find his replacement very soon.

2. They cut Hines Ward when he was at the end of his career. Also he was never the actual receiver Dre is who just got over 100 receptions yet again. Ward was just great all around and a worker. They had replacement receivers ready.

3. You would then add WR to replace which isn't always easy. And there is no way from what we have seen thus far that Hopkins is a guaranteed #1 receiver. Who would be #2? Hell...who would be #3? You don't fix your team by creating even more vital holes. You hold onto someone like Dre while grooming the future or having the backup plan ready. We have none at this time and have enough issues to deal with.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #64
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Which I'm thinking would be a second-round pick and a fourth-round pick. Not all that bad considering his age and great production.
You don't trade 100 rec. 1500 yd receivers for a 2nd and 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Ward was 35 and had fallen to 4th on the depth chart (5th receiving option).

Yes an end comes to all players. AJ's time is not done.
Old 12-23-2013   #65
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Yes. The same Cushing that has only played two full seasons out of five.

When you're paying him star player salary, you need star player time. I'm not calling him injury prone because those were horrid injuries but between two knee surgeries and a suspension, he only can say he's played two full seasons.

And for the record, I love me some Cush but by no means is he given a free pass when salary cap problems arise. He gets paid A LOT which means he should be playing A LOT.
Correct. Agree with every word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #66
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
1. And now without Wayne the Colts offense has sputtered and basically became a roller coaster. I am sure they feel a bit silly if they even entertained that thought and probably feel they need to find his replacement very soon.

2. They cut Hines Ward when he was at the end of his career. Also he was never the actual receiver Dre is who just got over 100 receptions yet again. Ward was just great all around and a worker. They had replacement receivers ready.

3. You would then add WR to replace which isn't always easy. And there is no way from what we have seen thus far that Hopkins is a guaranteed #1 receiver. Who would be #2? Hell...who would be #3? You don't fix your team by creating even more vital holes. You hold onto someone like Dre while grooming the future or having the backup plan ready. We have none at this time and have enough issues to deal with.
that's why I have a whole year to rebuild to say why do we need to fll those holes lets just put PLayer A and player B in that role
Old 12-24-2013   #67
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry, but, you don't get rid of AJ. You just don't. I've been through sorry seasons before and I can take it again. He has shown a great deal of leadership and LOYALTY. A WR that asks to have his contract renegotiated for the betterment of the team doesn't come around very often and Dre has done that several times. His play on the field this year has shown that he's not ending any time soon either. A QB can still hit him in stride and he is still getting open on a team that has no one else to throw to that is a legitimate threat to take away snaps from him. I'm sorry but a player like Dre is the solution and not the problem. And yes I'm still being very loyal to the only player on the team that comes to play every Sunday. For that reason alone I would pay my hard earned money to see the Texans. Sorry but Dre stays.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #68
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
The Texans owe nothing to AJ IMO. We pay him a salary. If he didn't like being here, he wouldn't keep resigning with us.
I re-read my post and I never said anything about "owe".

As far as "we pay him a salary", no "we" don't. Bob McNair signs the checks, so he pays AJ a salary. And that same Bob McNair, the owner, has never wavered in his public comments regarding AJ. That is what my post was based on. The histories of both the player and the owner, which is why this thread is very talk radio-ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Agreed. Although you never know what can develop in the off-season. He has an uncle who's been telling him to leave the Texans and join a consistent winning organization for a long time. There are people close to him not afraid to give him the brutal truth, and if he sees himself only having three or four more productive years why shouldn't he chase a Super Bowl ring while he still can?

The past two 12-4 and 10-6 seasons that have resulted in back-to-back wild card wins over the Bengals have helped, but this 2013 season has been a disaster to say the least. Andre Johnson is fed up with all of the losing and playing with mediocre quarterbacks and I don't blame him. If he asks to be traded then we should try and at least get the best deal offered. Which I'm thinking would be a second-round pick and a fourth-round pick. Not all that bad considering his age and great production. Keep in mind that wide receivers, especially his age, don't often bring back the type of value that you would expect.
Yeah, things can certainly change. If AJ decided that 11 years as a Houston Texan is enough and wanted to gracefully depart to another team for a chance at a ring, I would have to accept it for what it is. But, until then, I'm going to keep both feet in what we know about both the franchise and player.

Honestly, I would not blame AJ if he wanted to leave. Regardless of what McNair says, 2014 is a rebuild year. They can certainly experience success, but replacing a HC, coaching staff, and starting QB is not a "reload". AJ probably knows this, and looking at a finite number of years left in his career, he could decide to spend the rest of his productive years on a team that just needs a great WR to get over the hump. Imagine AJ catching Brady passes.
Old 12-24-2013   #69
bigmck
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
The Texans owe nothing to AJ IMO. We pay him a salary. If he didn't like being here, he wouldn't keep resigning with us.
That is true, but I have seen other greats, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Jerry Rice traded at the end of their career. It just does not look the same to see them in another city's uniform. It is a business, but AJ is the best Texan ever and I sure would hate to see him in a different uniform.
Old 12-24-2013   #70
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Imagine AJ catching Brady passes.
No. I refuse to, and you can't make me.
Old 12-24-2013   #71
Norg
Hall of Fame

well the way things are going in my gut feeling that during the last 2 or 3 years of AJ career he will be playing for a different team
Old 12-24-2013   #72
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Some folks are just the face of the franchise. AJ is that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #73
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
As 2lik said in response, it's not that Cushing isn't good; it's that he's unreliable. The team has had to adjust to him not being here so much that we may as well plan on him not being here.

He's still a beast - when he's here. He's been not here more than he has been here, is the point. I'm already wondering what Cushing's injury in 2014 will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. Think "Bob Sanders" in Indy. Fantastic player, didn't play all that much. It sucks but that's just the way it happens sometimes.
Old 12-25-2013   #74
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Perhaps you are right. That, however, are not good football decisions. Great organizations do not operate that way... If, at some point, the Texans have a financial decision to make regarding AJ and the football people believe his exit is best for the on field success of the team, I would hate for the Texans to commit to him out of some loyalty/desire to have him only play for Houston... We are not at that point now, but there will likely be a day when that issue exists... all of you so passionate about winning would certainly want AJ cut loose, right?
One of the reasons it won't pay to cut him is that he kept renegotiating his contract every time we needed cap space. This kept pushing his dead money forward to the point that cutting him doesn't gain cap space now. He's given us cap space already.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #75
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
You mean the same Cushing that when out, our defense falls to pieces? They way I see it he is the glue that keeps our defense strong.
Does everybody realize that Cushing's dead money is more than his salary? This mean we would not only lose the player, but money from the Cap Space as well ($13.6M+). We couldn't afford to cut him, even if we wanted to.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #76
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

No - the end.
Old 12-27-2013   #77
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Does everybody realize that Cushing's dead money is more than his salary? This mean we would not only lose the player, but money from the Cap Space as well ($13.6M+). We couldn't afford to cut him, even if we wanted to.
Somebody get him away from Sharpton and teach him how to stay healthy.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read