Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-27-2013   #181
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

I would love to get excited about OBrien, but :
1) No real decision has been made yet and we could just as easily wind up with Lovie Smith or somebody who they have not yet even interviewed. and
2) That sad little "Oh God, I hope not" itch inside of me keeps telling me that they may be waiting to see what will happen with the Redskins and Shanahan
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #182
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm so happy that we have or will be interviewing Coach O'Brien. I hope Bob pulls the trigger on him. I have said it before, I think O'Brien will be an elite NFL head coach and will be the guy to lead us to the promised land of a Super Bowl.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #183
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
I would love to get excited about OBrien, but :

1) No real decision has been made yet and we could just as easily wind up with Lovie Smith or somebody who they have not yet even interviewed. and

2) That sad little "Oh God, I hope not" itch inside of me keeps telling me that they may be waiting to see what will happen with the Redskins and Shanahan

You need to get the Shanahan thoughts out of your head. McNair knows we just had 8 years of the Shanahan offense, and no way would he hire that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #184
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 11677 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
But the Texans will want to see what David Shaw is going to do - whether he's willing to leave Stanford - and this announcement and any interview won't happen until after the Jan 1st Rose Bowl.
David Shaw has already made it clear he's not leaving Stanford.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #185
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 11677 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope O''Brien aces his interview. This is who I want Ro be the next HC.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #186
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
He will bring in some of his friends who aren't good coaches, but are good friends.

Oops, my bad, I was still thinking of our last head coach...
This is the way the NFL works. Our old coach was no different than every other NFL coach in his position. At times, there are variations to the theme. Sometimes, the GM has a little sway, a little influence & he's able to bring some of his friends to the party.

Our biggest "problem" was that Kubiak did a stint with SF a long time ago & had spent a long time in Denver. His circle wasn't very big.... Rick Smith came from that circle.

So let's say we get O'brien. He brings in McDaniels (if Belichick is not grooming him for New England), Vance Joseph stays..... That's a pretty good circle of influence there.
Old 12-27-2013   #187
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is the way the NFL works. Our old coach was no different than every other NFL coach in his position. At times, there are variations to the theme. Sometimes, the GM has a little sway, a little influence & he's able to bring some of his friends to the party.

Our biggest "problem" was that Kubiak did a stint with SF a long time ago & had spent a long time in Denver. His circle wasn't very big.... Rick Smith came from that circle.

So let's say we get O'brien. He brings in McDaniels (if Belichick is not grooming him for New England), Vance Joseph stays..... That's a pretty good circle of influence there.
Why would Josh McDaniels leave NE in a lateral move to be OC for the Texans? And why would NE allow him to leave for the same position with another team?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #188
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
If that's the way it's played now then we need to play that way. Either it's illegal and it's penalized or they ignore it and it is time the Texans got good at doing it.
It's got something to do with the way the do it. We've ran pick plays, but get called for it. I don't know why other teams seam to consistently get away with it.
Old 12-27-2013   #189
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Since Penn State is on probation is not their season technically over & a deal could be reached with Bill O'Brien now?
Out of respect for Wade (which I'm past that point) I think Bob will wait till after our last game.
Old 12-27-2013   #190
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Why would Josh McDaniels leave NE in a lateral move to be OC for the Texans? And why would NE allow him to leave for the same position with another team?
I don't know what kind of obligations he has to the Patriots. But maybe he's ready to move on, maybe the Patriots have another guy they would rather in that position.... who knows?
Old 12-27-2013   #191
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Out of respect for Wade (which I'm past that point) I think Bob will wait till after our last game.
Would that be directly after the game Sunday or final press conference Monday? Maybe he waits a day or two after that, lol!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #192
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
This. If we keep O'Brien on the hook to wait out Shaw and O'Brien takes another NFL job, that would be a massive fail.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #193
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans are going to do more than two interviews down?
Old 12-27-2013   #194
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But the Texans will want to see what David Shaw is going to do - whether he's willing to leave Stanford - and this announcement and any interview won't happen until after the Jan 1st Rose Bowl.
Quote:
Shaw is more than willing and all to happy to return to Stanford if he doesn't get the NFL deal he wants. $7 mil per year and full and complete control of all football operations might be what he wants and is waiting on to make the move. Shaw is on record as saying he likes Stanford and wants to stay. Shaw has also said that he would like to be an NFL Head Coach one day. The Texans are not a likely candidate for Shaw because of the Texans front office control. Shaw's future will become more certain the week after the Rose Bowl. If Shaw remains as adamant about staying at Stanford 2 weeks from now then he certainly becomes much more believable.

Bill O'Brien is part of the Belichick tree and all coaches desending from Belichick have been abysmal failures as NFL head coaches and also disappointing as a college head coaches. O'Brien has not done anything as a head coach that screams great success. Due to his popularity O'Brien like Shaw will also likely demand control of the roster. That eventually will take the Texans off O'Brien's radar as he will probably get a better offer.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #195
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Shaw is more than willing and all to happy to return to Stanford if he doesn't get the NFL deal he wants. $7 mil per year and full and complete control of all football operations might be what he wants and is waiting on to make the move.
Link? Without a link, this is supposition on your part. This is important to understand, because later you state the Texans is not a destination for Shaw, based on this supposition. We don't know that Shaw demands complete control... we also do not know that Texans are unwilling to give up that control.

Shaw may not be looking for $7M/yr, or complete control. He's probably looking for the right "family environment" where he knows he's going to get more than a fair shot to do the job he's being brought in to do.... say 8 years.

Quote:
Shaw is on record as saying he likes Stanford and wants to stay. Shaw has also said that he would like to be an NFL Head Coach one day. The Texans are not a likely candidate for Shaw because of the Texans front office control.
^^ this is what I'm talking about ^^

Kubiak had complete control. Capers did not. We don't know what Bob has planned for the next regime. At the moment, it is totally possible that Bob does not.
Old 12-27-2013   #196
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We don't know that Shaw demands complete control... we also do not know that Texans are unwilling to give up that control.

Shaw may not be looking for $7M/yr, or complete control. He's probably looking for the right "family environment" where he knows he's going to get more than a fair shot to do the job he's being brought in to do.... say 8 years.

^^ this is what I'm talking about ^^

Kubiak had complete control. Capers did not. We don't know what Bob has planned for the next regime. At the moment, it is totally possible that Bob does not.
Yes there is some supposition on my part. It is based on fact that I have never heard of any perspective head coach say, pay me a couple of million less than I can negotiate and give me as little control over the roster and players as possible. To the contrary, basic human behavior indicates perspective head coaches will want to make as much money as possible with as much control over players and rosters as they can get. That's what makes them attractive head coaches.

When you interview for perspective jobs do you tell your interviewer to pay you less than you can make and that you want less accountability with no responsibilities?

Unless the front office has reversed course since whining to NFLN about coaches having to much control, I have no reason to believe this position has changed.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #197
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes there is some supposition on my part. It is based on fact that I have never heard of any perspective head coach say, pay me a couple of million less than I can negotiate and give me as little control over the roster and players as possible. To the contrary, basic human behavior indicates perspective head coaches will want to make as much money as possible with as much control over players and rosters as they can get. That's what makes them attractive head coaches.

When you interview for perspective jobs do you tell your interviewer to pay you less than you can make and that you want less accountability with no responsibilities?

Unless the front office has reversed course since whining to NFLN about coaches having to much control, I have no reason to believe this position has changed.
So, in other words, you don't have a clue...

I seriously doubt that any first time NFL head coaching candidate anywhere has walked into a job interview and told the prospective employer that he demanded complete and utter control of all football operations.. " OR I'LL STAY AT PODUNK U!!!!!"
Old 12-27-2013   #198
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you have a link to an interview where this position is explicitly stated by Shaw, I'd appreciate seeing it. The only thing I've seen is speculation by the news media.

The Rose Bowl is less than a week away and by next Friday some kind of statement or response is likely to clarify his position.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #199
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Shaw is more than willing and all to happy to return to Stanford if he doesn't get the NFL deal he wants. $7 mil per year and full and complete control of all football operations might be what he wants and is waiting on to make the move. Shaw is on record as saying he likes Stanford and wants to stay. Shaw has also said that he would like to be an NFL Head Coach one day. The Texans are not a likely candidate for Shaw because of the Texans front office control. Shaw's future will become more certain the week after the Rose Bowl. If Shaw remains as adamant about staying at Stanford 2 weeks from now then he certainly becomes much more believable.

Bill O'Brien is part of the Belichick tree and all coaches desending from Belichick have been abysmal failures as NFL head coaches and also disappointing as a college head coaches. O'Brien has not done anything as a head coach that screams great success. Due to his popularity O'Brien like Shaw will also likely demand control of the roster. That eventually will take the Texans off O'Brien's radar as he will probably get a better offer.
This pretty much sums up the situation as it currently stands, with Shaw.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #200
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you have a link to an interview where this position is explicitly stated by Shaw, I'd appreciate seeing it. The only thing I've seen is speculation by the news media.

The Rose Bowl is less than a week away and by next Friday some kind of statement or response is likely to clarify his position.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ested-nfl-job/

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read