Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-25-2013   #21
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How can this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I was still all aboard in March after the combine, check my post history.
Wasn't calling out anybody in particular and I have no interest in looking up post history.

Point is that a lot of us would have been okay with taking a flyer on him late in the draft but nobody was pissed off that we were one of the 31 teams that passed on him multiple times.

He was a headache with a ton of baggage and it just so happened that it worked out for Cincinnati.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
OP has a major crush on Brooke Reed and is trying to say that just because stats show Brooke as the worst 3-4 OLB in the game that he is actually good. Anyone else who's ever watched football can watch his play and look at his pathetic stats to deduce that he is just absolutely awful and is probably the worst player we have on defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Don't know about him, but I don't have a crush on Reed. But he is not near as bad as some of you make him out to be. He does just what Wade asks him to do in his position.
I think that because you can't replace everyone at once, not with any realistic expectation of improvement at least we're going to see for ourselves whether Brooks Reed is as bad as his critics believe or the guy whose numbers are unimpressive because he's doing what his DC is asking him to do and doing it well.

Nothing against you IronDuke but I really hope you're wrong here and that JB is correct. We need every part possible to fit and work well next season. I hope to see Brooks Reed playing well under a new regime in 2014 because if he isn't then that's just one more need to add to the list.
Old 12-26-2013   #23
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think that because you can't replace everyone at once, not with any realistic expectation of improvement at least we're going to see for ourselves whether Brooks Reed is as bad as his critics believe or the guy whose numbers are unimpressive because he's doing what his DC is asking him to do and doing it well.

Nothing against you IronDuke but I really hope you're wrong here and that JB is correct. We need every part possible to fit and work well next season. I hope to see Brooks Reed playing well under a new regime in 2014 because if he isn't then that's just one more need to add to the list.
I hope so too man, trust me. I want Reed to do well but so far he's been terrible. I want every Texan to play well and want us to win every game AFTER the Tacks game.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Wasn't calling out anybody in particular and I have no interest in looking up post history.

Point is that a lot of us would have been okay with taking a flyer on him late in the draft but nobody was pissed off that we were one of the 31 teams that passed on him multiple times.

He was a headache with a ton of baggage and it just so happened that it worked out for Cincinnati.
I think the Montgomery pick was the same type of gamble. It would feel a lot better, if we got him UD or even in the 5th or 6th.

It didn't work out for us & we lost what should have resulted in quality depth at worst. To me this, along with reports that most teams took "Sonic" completely off their boards, adds to the "Rick Smith has a serious issue understanding the draft" argument.
Old 12-26-2013   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Burfict was one of the better college LB I watched. It was his ability to draw the flag that turned me away. I had him rated a first round but as his last season progressed he steadily dropped due to his tackle integrity. He needed to have coaching to help him mature and he has received that. He became a starter in first season NFL due to injury IIRC. The dude can hit.
Old 12-26-2013   #26
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Iron duke isn't wrong, the Texans tried to supplement/replace Reed(merci also) in the 2013 draft with Montgomery/Williams and neither worked out even to be a rotation type player with those, which I think was the low end goal of drafting two more OLBs when your projecting to start a 1st rounder and fairly high 2nd round at OLB.

Brooks Reed does not pass the eyeball nor actual production test. The "he sets the edge well" is "Kevin Walter blocks well" or "JJ Moses always catches the kick" of 2013. In a league where teams are passing 60% of the plays and where the player is in 3 point stance as de facto DE as much if not more than the listed OLB, that dude's main job is putting pressure on the QB.

And it is not like Reed is setting some standard at 'setting the edge' where teams refuse to run off-tackle or outside to the strong side of the Texans defense or anything.
Old 12-26-2013   #27
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep no need to take chances on troubled but talented guys in rds 5-7.

Guys I would consider taking in rds 5-7 this yr include,

Lyerla 1st rd talent, FA brain.
Dyer, Same
Crowell, Same
Seantrel Henderson
I am all for Colt, he would give this team a Jimmy Graham/Gronk style TE.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read