Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-17-2013   #61
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99579 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fixing the OLine: Draft, FA, In-House

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
First I would look at getting either Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher, which ever one the Ravens don't keep, and making them the starting RT. Baltimore won't be able to keep both.

then I look at the draft picks from last year, Quessenberry or Williams, and see which one can replace Wade Smith and put the other at guard. Move Brooks, I think he was a center in college, to Center and get rid of Meyers. I want my Oline to average 310-315 lbs, forget the ZBS, its time for smash mouth running game.

THEN I look for my QB of the future...

but that is just me...
Brooks played OG and OT in college. IIRC, he never played Center. I wouldn't play him at Center either. He is a pure mauler at OG and you don't take a guy who has the power to block DT's 1-on-1 and move him to C.

I agree about finding a vet O-Lineman to bring in and I do think Quessenberry can win the LG job. I was very high on him coming out last year and thought he would be the steal of the draft being taken that late.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #62
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Brooks played OG and OT in college. IIRC, he never played Center. I wouldn't play him at Center either. He is a pure mauler at OG and you don't take a guy who has the power to block DT's 1-on-1 and move him to C.

I agree about finding a vet O-Lineman to bring in and I do think Quessenberry can win the LG job. I was very high on him coming out last year and thought he would be the steal of the draft being taken that late.
Ah ok, I know one of the O-lineman that was playing Guard, played Center in college.

Man if they could get Monroe away from Baltimore and put him on the RT, you have Pro-Bowl caliber bookend Tackles and build inward from there.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #63
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99579 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Ah ok, I know one of the O-lineman that was playing Guard, played Center in college.

Man if they could get Monroe away from Baltimore and put him on the RT, you have Pro-Bowl caliber bookend Tackles and build inward from there.
Jones is the one who played Center in college.

And yes, if you land a FA OT, then you can help solidify the biggest weakness on the O-Line and can use your #1 draft pick on another position like pass rusher or QB.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-17-2013   #64
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Jones is the one who played Center in college.

And yes, if you land a FA OT, then you can help solidify the biggest weakness on the O-Line and can use your #1 draft pick on another position like pass rusher or QB.
It would have to be a vet minimum RT. Would you bring Winston back? I personally think that ship has sailed.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #65
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
It would have to be a vet minimum RT. Would you bring Winston back? I personally think that ship has sailed.
I won't even start naming names because 1) I'm not clear on the cap situation for next year and 2) We don't know who the HC will be.

Winston is certainly an upgrade over Newton so I'd take him if it came down to that.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-17-2013   #66
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Why?

We're going to have money from letting Schaub walk alone. Wade Smith will also be off the books & we've still got other options..... Danieal Manning, I wouldn't be surprised if we let him go, or renegotiate with him & Jjo (who had flashes of his old self Sunday).

If Rick Smith is finally allowed to put on his big boy pants, we may see a very different off-season. & yes, if we sign a respectable FA OT, I'd be a little more open to drafting a QB with that first overall, even in this draft.

Tell me honestly, didn't your backside pucker up when Duane first got hurt earlier this season?
Old 12-17-2013   #67
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 368131 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Why?
Because that is his story no matter what. You can bet the Texans will get multiple FA's for more than vet min. this offseason just like they went out and got Lechler last year.
Old 12-25-2013   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Clowney, then what?

Let's say the Texans believe Jadeveon Clowney is too good to pass up. What next?

What other needs, should they plan to address.

If you're cutting players to create cap space, who & how much?

How do you address the needs created by "creating cap space"?
Old 12-25-2013   #69
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

It's obvious I think. This team has no starting QB. There's a reason why QBs are so prized. They are the leaders on a team, and we desperately need one.
Old 12-25-2013   #70
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lol. There's this somewhat important position called "quarterback" that needs to be addressed. We don't have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #71
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans go with Clowney, I could see them either trading up for a guy like Boyd, taking someone like Mettenberger in the second and having him heal, or even a third-round prospect like Morris, Fales or Murray and having them compete with Yates and Keenum. There's also the possibility of bringing in a guy like McCown for a year stopgap, especially if we take an injured/raw prospect.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #72
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 13222 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
If the Texans go with Clowney, I could see them either trading up for a guy like Boyd, taking someone like Mettenberger in the second and having him heal, or even a third-round prospect like Morris, Fales or Murray and having them compete with Yates and Keenum. There's also the possibility of bringing in a guy like McCown for a year stopgap, especially if we take an injured/raw prospect.
If our drafted QB is in an actual competition with Yates or Keenum then we are screwed.

Both of those guys are worthless.
Old 12-25-2013   #73
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's say Clowney is as good as advertised and Watt earns his big contract. What I want to know is how can you afford to keep two top DE? That time is going to come. That's big, big money tied to the same position. Are the Texans going to "rent" Clowney during his rookie contract while hoping we win a SB with a later round QB pick? Last time I checked points win you games. You only need a defense to hold your opponent just enough to win.

Here's a thought. Maybe if the Texans actually had a competent QB to make drives last instead of 3 and outs, our defense wouldn't be so bad getting a breather here and there.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #74
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
Let's say Clowney is as good as advertised and Watt earns his big contract. What I want to know is how can you afford to keep two top DE? That time is going to come. That's big, big money tied to the same position. Are the Texans going to "rent" Clowney during his rookie contract while hoping we win a SB with a later round QB pick? Last time I checked points win you games. You only need a defense to hold your opponent just enough to win.

Here's a thought. Maybe if the Texans actually had a competent QB to make drives last instead of 3 and outs, our defense wouldn't be so bad getting a breather here and there.
Wouldn't we be in a worse position if we have to pay JJ, a former number one overall QB, and still haven't fixed the pass rush?

EDIT: That isn't to say we shouldn't take a QB first or not, just that worrying about that kind of thing shouldn't be a consideration at this point.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #75
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Wouldn't we be in a worse position if we have to pay JJ, a former number one overall QB, and still haven't fixed the pass rush?

EDIT: That isn't to say we shouldn't take a QB first or not, just that worrying about that kind of thing shouldn't be a consideration at this point.
Well, if the QB deserves the big contract I'd say the Texans hit the jackpot. Paying two DE big money just doesn't sound like a good strategy for building a team. I think it's a stretch to say the pass rush wouldn't be fixed if Houston didn't draft Clowney. Kubiak and Wade both run out dated systems. The right coaching change could fix a lot of problems, including the pass rush. Who knows what a positive team morale could do since Kubiak and Schaub killed it.

If Houston had an encouraging situation at QB, I could get on the idea of Clowney even though I question his drive to be great. But that's not the case. Houston has absolutely no answer at QB. If they chase after a FA QB looking for his next pay day, it could blow up in their face putting them back even further. I am in no way comfortable with putting a band-aid over the QB problem. Draft the best one since you will probably never sniff a situation to draft the best one for years.
Old 12-25-2013   #76
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 59406 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Draft the best one since you will probably never sniff a situation to draft the best one for years.
Yeah, the Texans tried that before and it set them back for years. There may not be a better answer in this draft than there was then.
Old 12-25-2013   #77
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You've gotta pay regardless.

Somehow teams like the 49ers/Lions /Bears/Packers/Bengals/Ravens/Vikings back in the day seem to be able to keep their talented DLs together and still pay top notch $$$$ to their QB's.

This is part of the problem Rick has, not being able to effectively manage the cap.

If you want to look for excuses to draft Bridgewater over Clowney/Barr etc... you're going to have to look harder than this.
Old 12-25-2013   #78
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Yeah, the Texans tried that before and it set them back for years. There may not be a better answer in this draft than there was then.
Freak situation. Carr came into a fresh expansion team made up of JAGs with horrible coaching. Has there ever been a badder situation for a #1 QB? Any pick can be a bust. If you're too scared to take the best scouted QB of the draft, don't expect much. Thankfully, the new CBA prevents teams being absolutely ruined if the first pick doesn't work out.
Old 12-25-2013   #79
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Quote:
You've gotta pay regardless.

Somehow teams like the 49ers/Lions /Bears/Packers/Bengals/Ravens/Vikings back in the day seem to be able to keep their talented DLs together and still pay top notch $$$$ to their QB's.

This is part of the problem Rick has, not being able to effectively manage the cap.

If you want to look for excuses to draft Bridgewater over Clowney/Barr etc... you're going to have to look harder than this.
It is a very good debate. I'll give you that. Unless your QB magically rises to the occasion like Flacco or Eli, I just don't think two great DE will get your far in the playoffs. A Tom Brady-like quick release will send you home. I think everyone here has seen that.
Old 12-25-2013   #80
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Lol. There's this somewhat important position called "quarterback" that needs to be addressed. We don't have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed

But forcing a pick on a QB that isn't a franchise QB because you need one has proven to set this franchise back for over a decade. (Carr) There is no QB worthy of #1 in this draft. IMHO

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read