Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2013   #41
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What We Look Like Next Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The biggest questions for me are:

1. Who is our Coach?
2. Who does he get as his OC?
3. Who is our QB?
Lovie Smith - HC
Norv Turner - OC
Jay Cutler - QB

they go to a Tampa 2 defense, move Brooks Reed inside and draft Clowney #1 to play DE with Watt and Mercelius.

They keep Manning because Lovie and Manning have a history, J-Jo stays, Schaub and Daniels are history. Resign Jackson and Mitchell and Mays.

Not saying I want this to happen, but knowing who the owner is, I can soooo see this happening...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #42
Lambert
Rookie

Rep Power: 3649 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney had a good Junior season but has struggled this year. Futhermore, he has been accused of taking plays off. Texans really need a QB. Does anyone think that we should waste a 1st pick on a "maybe" when our D has looked pretty good, rather than go after a QB that could be a franchise maker?
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #43
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Lovie Smith - HC
Norv Turner - OC
Jay Cutler - QB

they go to a Tampa 2 defense, move Brooks Reed inside and draft Clowney #1 to play DE with Watt and Mercelius.

They keep Manning because Lovie and Manning have a history, J-Jo stays, Schaub and Daniels are history. Resign Jackson and Mitchell and Mays.

Not saying I want this to happen, but knowing who the owner is, I can soooo see this happening...
Good grief! I just gagged on my coffee reading this list
Old 12-24-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I always projected Jones as a OC in the NFL. He's only been playing OG because we're so bad there. I think he eventually replaces Myers.

Moving away from the ZBS is a scary thought because it would make Myers expendable, but we're so bad on the OL that some kind of rebuild will be necessary no matter what. Might as well let the new staff make the choice.
ZBS is a huge part of the NFL. Every team incorporates quite a bit of zone blocking principals. We were a ZBS team before Kubiak got here.

Our problem then, is that we focused too much on the running game. Most likely because we didn't have a franchise QB.

The Colts with Peyton & the Edge were a potent Zone Blocking team. They just didn't talk about it because they had Peyton.
Old 12-24-2013   #45
bigmck
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck

Quote:
Lovie Smith - HC
Norv Turner - OC
Jay Cutler - QB
I sure hope not. That is a trio of retreads. Lovie might be OK, but not the other two.
Old 12-24-2013   #46
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
ZBS is a huge part of the NFL. Every team incorporates quite a bit of zone blocking principals. We were a ZBS team before Kubiak got here.

Our problem then, is that we focused too much on the running game. Most likely because we didn't have a franchise QB.

The Colts with Peyton & the Edge were a potent Zone Blocking team. They just didn't talk about it because they had Peyton.
I don't disagree at all. It's just pretty obvious that we have been structured entirely for a system built on zone blocking principles. If we move away from that scheme we will need to change up the OL a bit.

Zone blocking is in every playbook in the league, but we're one of the only teams that uses it as an integral part of the offense, i.e. we even look for different skillsets among backs and linemen than most teams in the league.

That is my main issue with the offense that we've been running. It is structurally different from most others and therefore requires a specific type of personnel. Which is fine except that we are basically starting from scrap if we decide to move to something else.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #47
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lovie Smith - HC
Norv Turner - OC
Jay Cutler - QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
I sure hope not. That is a trio of retreads. Lovie might be OK, but not the other two.

I was laughing reading through this thread because of the reactions by you guys to some of the potential coaching candidates. I can't believe that you guys let this one below slide which I think is worse than the trio of retreads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Right now I'm leaning toward Mike Zimmer or Jack Del Rio as coach .

I still want Ray Horton but I bet it is going to be Lovie Smith or Ken Whisenhunt.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #48
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
To be honest , the biggest question is .... Who's the QB. That'll have a greater impact upon W's & L's both next season and beyond than any other factor.

Do we draft a QB with either the #1 overall or a trade down .... Do we sign a Vet FA , do we tank away another season for an opportunity at one of next years crop?!
My answer would be C and draft somebody like Murray in the 4th if available, if not pass ondrafting a QB this yr. Even if they drafted a QB in the 3rd/4th this yr I make it a priority to trade up and get one of the 2015 QB's to compete with Murray.

Rick will do A

I would be fine with B.

Sign Terrance Cody in FA, he should be a reasonable signing. Then draft Clowney in the 1st and Carrethers in the 4th and you've fixed the DL/added a prmier pass rusher and then you can go to work on the OL.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #49
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
My answer would be C and draft somebody like Murray in the 4th if available, if not pass ondrafting a QB this yr. Even if they drafted a QB in the 3rd/4th this yr I make it a priority to trade up and get one of the 2015 QB's to compete with Murray.

Rick will do A

I would be fine with B.

Sign Terrance Cody in FA, he should be a reasonable signing. Then draft Clowney in the 1st and Carrethers in the 4th and you've fixed the DL/added a prmier pass rusher and then you can go to work on the OL.
Since 2000, there have been two, or three(depending on where you rate Bradford), draft classes that have not produced at least one, good starting QB...

There are about 7 teams that will enter the off-season determined to find a starting QB. The texans, due to their draft position, have an advantage over all of those teams. Also, jokes about the Texan organization aside, these are bad organizations we will compete against: TB, Minn, Jack, Clev, etc.... An environment this advantageous to address the most coveted position in the NFL is very rare. The Texans must take advantage of it... Perhaps that means trading some picks this year for picks next year... My guess, though, is there are a few NFL quality QBs in this draft. The new staff will need to identify who they are, grab one or two of them, and then successfully develop him/them.
Old 12-26-2013   #50
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Agree with you on OD but why do we need to give Watt a contract? IIRC you have said this before but not why when he is under contract for 2014 & we can franchise tag him for at least two additional seasons cheaper than a mega deal would pay him? I'm not sure but maybe what we should have done with Cushing.
Maybe you're right. Time will tell. I doubt I'm wrong though, there are certain players in every organization you don't yank around w/ franchise tags, and there are guys that you do (guys you don't generally see as an integral part of your team's future... and kickers). Most of the integral guys that get tagged: Calais Campbell, Ray Rice, Drew Brees, Matt Forte, etc. all got their long term mega contracts before their respective seasons started whereas the guys that didn't get that extension mostly all parted ways Wes Welker, Brent Grimes, Cliff Avril, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Disagree he is useless in other offenses.

Man those sticks must be a long way off. OD averages 12 ypr. Two-thirds of his receptions are for 1st downs.
I'll be incredibly shocked if he catches anything like or better than 45/450/4 anywhere in the NFL next year. I'll be incredibly shocked if his days aren't numbered the year after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I pray C never comes up. I can't do 4 years of Cleveland Brown football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Since 2000, there have been two, or three(depending on where you rate Bradford), draft classes that have not produced at least one, good starting QB...

There are about 7 teams that will enter the off-season determined to find a starting QB. The texans, due to their draft position, have an advantage over all of those teams. Also, jokes about the Texan organization aside, these are bad organizations we will compete against: TB, Minn, Jack, Clev, etc.... An environment this advantageous to address the most coveted position in the NFL is very rare. The Texans must take advantage of it... Perhaps that means trading some picks this year for picks next year... My guess, though, is there are a few NFL quality QBs in this draft. The new staff will need to identify who they are, grab one or two of them, and then successfully develop him/them.
Well stated.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #51
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Hell I gagged when I was typing it, yet tell me that list does not look like and fit what Bob McNair considers "Texans Worthy"

that is gonna be my biggest fear for this next hire, not getting the right man for the job, weather he is a former HC or OC or College coach, but somebody that is viewed as a "Texans Worthy" type of coach.

we saw that fail for 8 years...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #52
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hell I gagged when I was typing it, yet tell me that list does not look like and fit what Bob McNair considers "Texans Worthy"

that is gonna be my biggest fear for this next hire, not getting the right man for the job, weather he is a former HC or OC or College coach, but somebody that is viewed as a "Texans Worthy" type of coach.

we saw that fail for 8 years...
I think we can have "Texans Worthy" and have a good dynamic coaching staff

The failure was not that Kubiak was Texans worthy, the problem was Kubiak
Old 12-26-2013   #53
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

With the other pressing needs, we haven't said much about fullback. We have to get a new one from somewhere. I say that in spite of doing a postdoc at Fla. State. I hope we get a coach who uses the FB as a power runner. That's one reason Cowher would have been a good choice.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #54
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 3761 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
With the other pressing needs, we haven't said much about fullback. We have to get a new one from somewhere. I say that in spite of doing a postdoc at Fla. State. I hope we get a coach who uses the FB as a power runner. That's one reason Cowher would have been a good choice.

I think it has to do with the fact that most teams don't use fbs anymore making it the most unimportant position in the nfl.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #55
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i want to put it on the record that we re-sign ninja to a fair contract for both parties. with cuts to OD and schaub this could easily be achieved while also left over to re-sign watt in a few years
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Agree with you on OD but why do we need to give Watt a contract? IIRC you have said this before but not why when he is under contract for 2014 & we can franchise tag him for at least two additional seasons cheaper than a mega deal would pay him? I'm not sure but maybe what we should have done with Cushing.
The idea about offering him a deal early is because you want him to take the security of getting his money now & not betting on his future.

Offer him a deal today putting him in the top 5 DE will be cheaper than making him the highest paid defensive player in history 3 years from now.

Sure... Watt can wait, but when they're talking about $20+ million signing bonuses & $50~60 million guaranteed.

We dangle that money in front of him now & he has to decide if he wants to take it, or "wait" 3 years & who knows what will happen in 3 years.

If we wait, then franchise him, then offer him "peanuts" then he's only got to weigh a 1 year wait.
Old 12-26-2013   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I don't entirely disagree. Brown and Myers are the only sure things though, and this hasn't exactly been Brown's best year. Brooks is coming along but he's not a sure thing. Quess looks like he has potential but who really knows.

If we stay with the ZBS then we're basically just hoping that Brooks will keep improving (likely), that Quess will fill in just fine (not exactly unlikely), and that we will find a RT (who knows). And that's just assuming that the new staff wants to keep that system.

If we move away from it then all bets are off. Brown would probably be okay. Brooks might be better off. Myers becomes less valuable. Quess is still a question mark. And we still need a RT.

I don't think this entire team needs to be overhauled but as I look at the roster I don't see a very talented team. I would rather we get it right in the long term than just focus on trying to turn it around in a heartbeat.
I think team can remain a ZBS although I hope not or go to power O. We need to get a RT but that can be done. I also think we can select someone like Cyril R for a starting LG or RT in second. I am just hoping Mariota's request for an NFL appraisal means he will come out. I take him #1 and I think he is keeping eye on TB's decision.
Old 12-26-2013   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i want to put it on the record that we re-sign ninja to a fair contract for both parties. with cuts to OD and schaub this could easily be achieved while also left over to re-sign watt in a few years
I think the problem is a fair contract for Ninja is more than we should pay.
Old 12-26-2013   #59
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The idea about offering him a deal early is because you want him to take the security of getting his money now & not betting on his future.

Offer him a deal today putting him in the top 5 DE will be cheaper than making him the highest paid defensive player in history 3 years from now.

Sure... Watt can wait, but when they're talking about $20+ million signing bonuses & $50~60 million guaranteed.

We dangle that money in front of him now & he has to decide if he wants to take it, or "wait" 3 years & who knows what will happen in 3 years.

If we wait, then franchise him, then offer him "peanuts" then he's only got to weigh a 1 year wait.
If you sign Watt to extension after 2014 & then contract him again after that he will cost a whole lot more than optioning 2015 & the tagging for two additional years & then deciding to contract him.
Old 12-26-2013   #60
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Trey Millard (Oklahoma) is going to be a fantastic NFL FB. He can play about four different positions (including RB) depending on the personnel on the field. But the Texans can't afford to use a third rounder on the position.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read