Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What We Look Like Next Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Not to say they wouldn't suffice, but Smith, Myers and Newton would need replacing. Smith and Newton for obvious reasons. Myers isn't the mauling type C we'd need to run a lot of power. He's a good fit for the ZBS because he's moving side to side rather than anchoring or mauling.

Maybe I'm just old school, but when I think of power I think of olinemen with some sand in their pants.
yeah me too and I think the decision on HC will be made quickly. If we toss the ZBS, I wonder if Jones who could handle the position in a power O? Also, Newton could be better blocking especially with one more season to build strength. I still scratch my head when we don't use a blocking TE on that side.
Old 12-23-2013   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I like Harris as a swing tackle more than I like Newton. Either way OL is a problem right now.

Agree that McClain is expendable. He's a depth player.

I pray that Sharpton is gone but do not feel confident that he will be.

Would also like Graham and Mays back for the right price.

I think Martin is safe. Jean is easily replaceable.

I would like McCain gone but we'll have to see who comes in his place first. We are so weak with our DB depth right now that we can't even afford to let the marginally talented ones go.
In my thinking, Matthews is the starter RT and if need be the left. Newton moves up to RT only.

You are probably correct on Martin. I think if Wade goes Sharpton is done.
Old 12-23-2013   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
All of our depth is replaceable and it's honestly no better than the depth that will be available on the streets for cheap next year.

You should probably add, cut OD to this list as well. I like the guy just as much as everyone, but $4.5 mill is a lot of money we could save cutting a guy that is borderline worthless in about 80% of offenses in the NFL, which is what he is. This won't be Kubiak forcing the TE the ball 7 yards short of the chains on 3rd down next year.

He's also 31, pretty slow, has knee/leg issues, and he barely catches 60% of his intended passes anymore when he's supposed to be used as a possession receiver. Sorry OD, but you can hit the road jack.

We also need to get JJ Watt his mega contract before he hits free agency at end of 2014 season, likely before the start of 2014 season. Once that happens, I imagine any cap space we might have had will be completely erased (this includes the $10.5 mill dead money from cutting Schaub).

At least we will get some compensatory picks in 2015 draft though when we let all these bums walk.
Agree with you on OD but why do we need to give Watt a contract? IIRC you have said this before but not why when he is under contract for 2014 & we can franchise tag him for at least two additional seasons cheaper than a mega deal would pay him? I'm not sure but maybe what we should have done with Cushing.
Old 12-23-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I would be fine with giving up OD and keeping Graham.

I have a hard time saying okay to Joseph and Manning though. That's our best CB and our best S. I know they are expensive but without those two next year we are probably sporting the worst secondary in the NFL....again.
As Joseph seems to be playing better and he turns 30 April 2014, would you cash him out ($16 million next two years) and extending him another two years? You could lower his cap hit a lot and he would be 32 & 33 YOA last two seasons. Non guarantee the last one.
Old 12-23-2013   #25
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
yeah me too and I think the decision on HC will be made quickly. If we toss the ZBS, I wonder if Jones who could handle the position in a power O? Also, Newton could be better blocking especially with one more season to build strength. I still scratch my head when we don't use a blocking TE on that side.
I always projected Jones as a OC in the NFL. He's only been playing OG because we're so bad there. I think he eventually replaces Myers.

Moving away from the ZBS is a scary thought because it would make Myers expendable, but we're so bad on the OL that some kind of rebuild will be necessary no matter what. Might as well let the new staff make the choice.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Not to say they wouldn't suffice, but Smith, Myers and Newton would need replacing. Smith and Newton for obvious reasons. Myers isn't the mauling type C we'd need to run a lot of power. He's a good fit for the ZBS because he's moving side to side rather than anchoring or mauling.

Maybe I'm just old school, but when I think of power I think of olinemen with some sand in their pants.
Mark Stepnoski did just fine at 265 lbs in just about the quintessential power blocking O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I like the guy just as much as everyone, but $4.5 mill is a lot of money we could save cutting a guy that is borderline worthless in about 80% of offenses in the NFL, which is what he is. This won't be Kubiak forcing the TE the ball 7 yards short of the chains on 3rd down next year.
Disagree he is useless in other offenses.

Man those sticks must be a long way off. OD averages 12 ypr. Two-thirds of his receptions are for 1st downs.

Quote:
Agree with you on OD but why do we need to give Watt a contract? IIRC you have said this before but not why when he is under contract for 2014 & we can franchise tag him for at least two additional seasons cheaper than a mega deal would pay him? I'm not sure but maybe what we should have done with Cushing.
Under contract 2014, option year 2015 then franchise tag 2 years. People are way, way jumping the gun on Watt.

Quote:
Moving away from the ZBS is a scary thought because it would make Myers expendable, but we're so bad on the OL that some kind of rebuild will be necessary no matter what. Might as well let the new staff make the choice.
We are two spots away and one may be on the roster already. This OL can be fixed up for ZBS again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by infantrycak; 12-23-2013 at 03:25 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #27
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As Joseph seems to be playing better and he turns 30 April 2014, would you cash him out ($16 million next two years) and extending him another two years? You could lower his cap hit a lot and he would be 32 & 33 YOA last two seasons. Non guarantee the last one.
Hard to say this early. Really depends on what the emphasis will be drafting DBs with the new staff. Regardless of how much Joseph has regressed he is still the best DB on the team, and likely will be for the next two or three years.
Old 12-23-2013   #28
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Over the last few days I've been looking ahead to what this team looks like moving forward (because what else is there to do when we're this bad). I've worked up a list of likely transactions so that we can see what this team looks like going into FA and the Draft next year. Here's what I have so far.

Transactions
*Release Matt Schaub (June 1 Cut)
*Release Owen Daniels (June 1 Cut)
*Re-sign Deji Karim (RFA)
*Re-sign Garrett Graham
*Re-sign Ryan Harris
*Re-sign Earl Mitchell
*Re-sign Terrell McClain (RFA)
*Re-sign Ricky Sapp (RFA)
*Re-sign Joe Mays

Players Leaving
Matt Schaub - Cut
Greg Jones - FA
Owen Daniels - Cut
Wade Smith - FA
Antonio Smith - FA
Bryan Braman - FA
Darryl Sharpton - FA
Elbert Mack - FA

Offense
QB - Case Keenum, T.J. Yates
RB - Arian Foster, Dennis Johnson, Deji Karim
FB - N/A
WR - Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins, DeVier Posey, Keshawn Martin, Lestar Jean, Alan Bonner, Alec Lemon
TE - Ryan Griffin, Garrett Graham, Brad Smelley
LT - Duane Brown, Ryan Harris
LG - David Quessenberry, Alex Kupper
C - Chris Myers, Ben Jones
RG - Brandon Brooks, Cody White
RT - Derek Newton, Brennan Williams

Defense (34)
DE - Tim Jamison
NT - Earl Mitchell, Terrell McClain
DT - J.J. Watt, Jared Crick
SOLB - Brooks Reed, Ricky Sapp
SILB - Brian Cushing, Mike Mohamed, Jeff Tarpinian
WILB - Joe Mays, Justin Tuggle
WOLB - Whitney Mercilus, Trevardo Williams
CB - Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, Brandon Harris, Brice McCain, A.J. Bouye, Josh Victorian
FS - Danieal Manning, Shiloh Keo
SS - D.J. Swearinger, Eddie Pleasant, Jawanza Starling

Defense (43)
SDE - Brooks Reed, Tim Jamison
DT - J.J. Watt, Jared Crick
NT - Earl Mitchell, Terrell McClain
WDE - Whitney Mercilus, Ricky Sapp
SLB - Trevardo Williams, Justin Tuggle
MLB - Brian Cushing, Joe Mays, Mike Mohamed, Jeff Tarpinian
WLB - N/A
CB - Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, Brandon Harris, Brice McCain, A.J. Bouye, Josh Victorian
FS - Danieal Manning, Shiloh Keo
SS - D.J. Swearinger, Eddie Pleasant, Jawanza Starling

Special Teams
K - Randy Bullock
P - Shane Lechler
LS - Jon Weeks

This gives us a starting point for discussion about where the team needs to go between now and the start of next season.

*Edit to cut Daniels and re-sign Graham, which seems unanimous. Also deciding to be less pessimistic and adding Sharpton to the list of players leaving (fingers crossed).
First of all I appreciate it you taking the time to put this together. I'd like to see us draft/sign a bigger NT if we stick with a 3-4 rather than go after guys with "finesse."

I would also like to see us draft a RB or sign a player...not a fan of Karim and Johnson is to small to be a RB (I would use him strictly as a pass-catching RB). I see some solid RBs in the upcoming draft that we could target.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #29
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Mark Stepnoski did just fine at 265 lbs in just about the quintessential power blocking O.
I'm sure he was just fine....in the 90's.

Drew Brees is an awesome QB for being only 6'. How many Drew Brees' are there?

More of an exception than the rule
Old 12-23-2013   #30
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We are two spots away and one may be on the roster already. This OL can be fixed up for ZBS again in a heartbeat.
I don't entirely disagree. Brown and Myers are the only sure things though, and this hasn't exactly been Brown's best year. Brooks is coming along but he's not a sure thing. Quess looks like he has potential but who really knows.

If we stay with the ZBS then we're basically just hoping that Brooks will keep improving (likely), that Quess will fill in just fine (not exactly unlikely), and that we will find a RT (who knows). And that's just assuming that the new staff wants to keep that system.

If we move away from it then all bets are off. Brown would probably be okay. Brooks might be better off. Myers becomes less valuable. Quess is still a question mark. And we still need a RT.

I don't think this entire team needs to be overhauled but as I look at the roster I don't see a very talented team. I would rather we get it right in the long term than just focus on trying to turn it around in a heartbeat.
Old 12-23-2013   #31
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm more concerned about the QB situation. We don't have a starting QB on the roster.
Old 12-23-2013   #32
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I'm more concerned about the QB situation. We don't have a starting QB on the roster.
The Texans can be the 1st team in history to pick 4 QBs in a draft . You're bound to hit on one .
Old 12-23-2013   #33
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

To be honest , the biggest question is .... Who's the QB. That'll have a greater impact upon W's & L's both next season and beyond than any other factor.

Do we draft a QB with either the #1 overall or a trade down .... Do we sign a Vet FA , do we tank away another season for an opportunity at one of next years crop?!

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest questions for me are:

1. Who is our Coach?
2. Who does he get as his OC?
3. Who is our QB?

Which QB we go after will depend on the OC and the HC and their philosophies.

Everything hinges on that: whether we even have a FB and/or how prized the TE position will be, whether our current linemen just need to be tweaked or if we have to make wholesale changes, whether we need to revamp our WR corp or not.

And the same holds true on the defensive side. Will we get a space-eater NT? Will we go to a more traditional 3-4, to a traditional 4-3, or to some hybrid?

Are our coaches going to have to take the players that Smith gives to them and create offenses and defenses around that or are the coaches going to give Smith the list of wants and needs? Is Smith even going to be around?

We've got to get the high-level stuff worked out and figured out before we can get down to the details of this guy goes, this guy stays, and we draft like this.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'm Sharpton's biggest critic and I hope he's gone, but I don't see it happening. For some reason this guy never gets demoted despite playing like garbage. I
Which is the beauty of a new coaching staff. Surely he's gone. Can't stay healthy, not enough "Wow!!" when he is healthy, & these guys coming in don't know him from Adam...... or Tarpinian, or Muhammed.
Old 12-23-2013   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless there is a drastic change in the Texans culture, we ain't gonna look a whole lot different than we ever have.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #37
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Unless there is a drastic change in the Texans culture, we ain't gonna look a whole lot different than we ever have.
I thought that was the point of all these coaching changes and the such, eh?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #38
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Them fish ain't swam up the river yet
Old 12-23-2013   #39
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
They'll get a move on. I hope. Shirley this org. can get it's stuff together and turn it around quicker than the_______ and the ________ and...

Well you get the point.

At least I'm holding out hope.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #40
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Same owner and GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

Exactly. I'll just wait and see who is hired before I get to excited.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read