Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2013   #661
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18764 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
Not bad but I would replace Schwartz with Rex Ryan.
Rex Ryan isn't going to settle for a defensive coordinator job anymore. He's primed to land a head coaching job rather quickly. The Texans would be foolish not to pounce on him if he becomes available.
Old 12-23-2013   #662
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 123395 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
If the Jets fire Rex Ryan would the Texans not at least be interested in interviewing him for the head coaching job? I sure like him a lot more than I do Lovie Smith. The man is a passionate winner who knows how to get the best out of his players. He's had a lot of success in the NFL without having what I would define as a good quarterback.
So he'd be in the exact same situation here; without a "good" QB. He reminds me of Dom Capers. Great DC, meh HC w horrid offenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #663
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
So he'd be in the exact same situation here; without a "good" QB. He reminds me of Dom Capers. Great DC, meh HC w horrid offenses.
The people ahead of him really screwed him. Tannenbaum was a terrible GM, IMO.
Old 12-23-2013   #664
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73103 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Do we really care about a space eating NT in a pass happy league anymore? Just get me someone who can create interior pressure.
I've been saying that for five years but you won't get very far with it on this board.

The only way I'm okay with a big fatty in the middle is if he's a freak big fatty who can move.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #665
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I've been saying that for five years but you won't get very far with it on this board.

The only way I'm okay with a big fatty in the middle is if he's a freak big fatty who can move.
I tend to agree. NT's like Wilfork are a rare find. Although, Pot Roast gave our Oline an ass whoopin yesterday
Old 12-23-2013   #666
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

What do y'all think about Mike Nolan?
Old 12-23-2013   #667
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

The next head coach for the Houston Texans........JASON GARRETT, very good at following orders and being a front office yes man.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #668
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Knute Rockne for sure!!

If not, I wouldn't be offended by Lombardi as a secondary choice!
Old 12-26-2013   #669
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't matter if Smith stays ... we continue to fail.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #670
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Rex Ryan isn't going to settle for a defensive coordinator job anymore. He's primed to land a head coaching job rather quickly. The Texans would be foolish not to pounce on him if he becomes available.

i don't think Rex has done anything to immediately warrant another head coach job. I think he is forced to be a DC somewhere and regroup himself for a few seasons and then he will get another crack at it.
Old 12-26-2013   #671
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18764 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
i don't think Rex has done anything to immediately warrant another head coach job. I think he is forced to be a DC somewhere and regroup himself for a few seasons and then he will get another crack at it.
The Jets are 7-8 with no stability at the quarterback position and yet they may finish with a .500 record. I'd argue that they have less talent than we do and we may finish 2-14. Rex Ryan has done a heck of a job with that team this season. If we had a head coach like Rex Ryan we probably wouldn't have underachieved so miserably even with all of the key injuries.
Old 12-26-2013   #672
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 58494 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
After hearing the Texans had a 7 hour interview with Lovie Smith, I started thinking about the possibility on defense... It's interesting to consider how the Texans' defensive personnel would fit into Lovie's system.

Cushing would be ideal as the Mike LB. Cushing has the range, instincts, and playmaking ability in the pass game to play all three downs and cause problems for the offense... Cushing roaming the middle of the field every play is a good situation for the Texans.

Watt is interesting... Where would he play primarily? RDE, LDE, or 3 technique DT? He'd play all 3 but his best fit, for the health of the defense, is DT... If the Texans get a big NT... Watt inside with a guy like that would cause constant pocket problems for the QB, shutdown the interior run, and give nice, sharp edges to the DEs.

KJ and JJo would both excel in cover 2 principles- giving them many opportunities to make plays on the ball- also, highlighting KJ's physicality in run support.

D. Manning was drafted and played for Lovie... Lovie's hire would likely mean that Manning would stick around for his last contract year. Swearinger certainly has the skills and play-making instincts to do what Lovie asks of SS. He can blitz, run support, and has the speed and ball-hawking ability to play the umbrella coverage.

Earl Mitchell could be brought back as DT (3technique)... somewhat dependent on their plans for Watt.

Mercilus would fit very well as the strong side DE (or pretty well at RDE also)... Mercilus would look great in this defense, I think!

Brooks Reed-- likely cut. Texans could cut him for $1.5 million savings without any dead money. I don't think he fits well at either DE... His only possible spot would be Strong LB, and I think that is a stretch.

Jamison and Crick are both decent fits as depth, mainly because they can be used in multiple spots.

So, from my view, the Texans could transition well, and quickly, into Lovie's defense... Needs I see:

1. space-eating NT
2. speed rusher DE (either to start or two rotate in when Watt moves to DT)
3. WLB- (Sharpton and Mays are FAs) Lovie knows this position and can draft it and also fill it effectively with a veteran
4. SLB- (see above)

** I'm not sure whether Buoye or Harris could be the nickel CB... nor can I speak to Pleasant as the 3rd safety... but, given the cap room and the draft picks the Texans will have, a coach like Lovie can adequately fill these holes without much difficulty.

Most encouraging is that the core talent on the Texans' defense fit very well into what Lovie would do: Cushing, Watt, Mercilus, KJ, JJo, Swearinger... which is good, because the real issue with Lovie (magnified by the Texans situation at QB) is what will he put together on offense.
Reed would have just under $500K in dead money, but still clear $1M of salary cap space. I'm not sure why you think he has no dead money.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #673
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 58494 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I disagree. I think Cushing would be an excellent SLB... however, he fits in all 3 positions... and, his combination of versatility, playmaking, and instincts would make him most valuable at the Mike.

I agree with you about Watt, but I'm not sure about the player-organizational dynamics... would the team "do that" to Watt?

I'm pretty sure Lovie likes "0 technique" NTs... Am I wrong about that?
I'm not sure anybody wants a 0 technique guy with the new rules protecting the center.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #674
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Reed would have just under $500K in dead money, but still clear $1M of salary cap space. I'm not sure why you think he has no dead money.
What will it cost to replace him?
Old 12-27-2013   #675
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure anybody wants a 0 technique guy with the new rules protecting the center.
I thought the "new rules" protecting the center were only on special teams.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #676
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 27795 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
wha?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #677
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Let's imagine we go to a 4-3. Reed's only value then would be "pass rush specialist" rotational depth. We're not going to be asking him to "set the edge" that would be Jj Watt's job, Merci on the weak side.

Then we've got Travardo Williams to be our specialist.

Even if we stay in the 3-4, he basically contributed nada...... won't cost us anything to replace his production.
Old 12-27-2013   #678
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

From SI's Don Banks:
Quote:
Most league sources I talked to expect Penn State's Bill O'Brien to be on the radar of every team in need of a coach, as long as that team doesn't mind paying big money to its sideline boss. O'Brien reportedly has a $6.48 million NFL-team buyout in his Penn State contract, and would then command a sizable salary on top of that. Money has never been a restrictor plate for Snyder, but O'Brien should have more than one option, and he likely won't view the Redskins as giving him his best possible chance at success. Houston or Dallas seem far more attractive in that regard.

Houston -- Everything is coming up No. 1 for the Texans. They were the first team (and only one thus far) to create a coaching vacancy when they fired Gary Kubiak after a Week 14 loss at Jacksonville. They're in line to earn the No. 1 pick in next spring's draft with one week remaining in the regular season. And they're seen as having the clear-cut plumb coaching job to offer this offseason, with a talented roster, an answer to their quarterback issues coming via the draft and a patient owner (Bob McNair) known for doing things the right way.

"Everyone wants that job," one league source told me. "Every coach out there wants to get in on that search.''

Ex-Bears head coach Lovie Smith has reportedly already interviewed for the job, and the Texas native has been considered a strong possibility for the position since the moment Kubiak exited. But don't award him the gig just yet. Penn State's O'Brien and San Diego's Whisenhunt could both offer Smith strong competition for the post, with one source telling me that O'Brien's toughness appeals to Houston, and another making the point that Texans general manager Rick Smith's familiarity with Whisenhunt is a plus for the ex-Cardinals head coach.

This will be McNair's hire to make, but Smith's job is safe and he'll have significant input in deciding on Kubiak's successor. Other candidates who might factor into Houston's search or warrant an interview are Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman, the ex-Packers and Texas A&M coach, and current Seattle offensive line coach Tom Cable, the former Raiders head coach who had done quality work with the Seahawks. In addition, current interim head coach Wade Phillips remains in the picture, although his winless record as the team's part-time head coach has weakened his bid.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #679
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15379 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #680
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 6301 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Well, Connor Barwin had a 2012 season that was like this: 44 tackles and 3 sacks. He eventually signed a 2013 contract with the Eagles for 36 million over 6 years. Mays is a 5 million a year player. B Reed will play for about 1 million next year. Do you really think they want to replace him----one game left to play and he has 51 tackles and 3 sacks?
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read