Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-22-2013   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade Away AJ this off-season?

Thread topic and logic is very sports talk radio-ish.

Andre Johnson is not going anywhere. Bob McNair won't let it happen. The only way it happens is if AJ wants out of here. And so far he has shown no inclination or hint of wanting to play elsewhere.

As a fan, I want him to retire a Houston Texan. He epitomizes everything good about pro athletes, and his stature in the community goes well beyond football. I think McNair sees him this way, as well, and has called him a legacy player in the past. I would not be surprised if AJ is part of why McNair does not want to rebuild, but reload to contend next season.
Old 12-22-2013   #42
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Andre Johnson is not going anywhere. Bob McNair won't let it happen. The only way it happens is if AJ wants out of here. And so far he has shown no inclination or hint of wanting to play elsewhere.

As a fan, I want him to retire a Houston Texan. He epitomizes everything good about pro athletes, and his stature in the community goes well beyond football. I think McNair sees him this way, as well, and has called him a legacy player in the past. I would not be surprised if AJ is part of why McNair does not want to rebuild, but reload to contend next season.
The Texans owe nothing to AJ IMO. We pay him a salary. If he didn't like being here, he wouldn't keep resigning with us.

I would like for him to be a Texan until he retires. I think the idea of trading him for his sake is really a crapshoot as much as staying here. Free agents who went to the Texans and Falcons this season thought they were going to a SB contender, and well look how that turned out.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #43
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sorry... I know what you mean. It is certainly a moot point now- knowing that trading/cutting him does not gain $12 million in cap savings, but would be a wash. I'm not wanting him to leaving. I actually think we can turn this thing around in one season but was interested in the thoughts of those who think this will be a larger overhaul than I do.
Old 12-22-2013   #44
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Losing seasons inspire some really bad posts.

McNair will ensure that AJ retires a Texan.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #45
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Losing seasons inspire some really bad posts.

McNair will ensure that AJ retires a Texan.

Perhaps you are right. That, however, are not good football decisions. Great organizations do not operate that way... If, at some point, the Texans have a financial decision to make regarding AJ and the football people believe his exit is best for the on field success of the team, I would hate for the Texans to commit to him out of some loyalty/desire to have him only play for Houston... We are not at that point now, but there will likely be a day when that issue exists... all of you so passionate about winning would certainly want AJ cut loose, right?
Old 12-22-2013   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Perhaps you are right. That, however, are not good football decisions. Great organizations do not operate that way... If, at some point, the Texans have a financial decision to make regarding AJ and the football people believe his exit is best for the on field success of the team, I would hate for the Texans to commit to him out of some loyalty/desire to have him only play for Houston... We are not at that point now, but there will likely be a day when that issue exists... all of you so passionate about winning would certainly want AJ cut loose, right?
How about asking once AJ gets down to Kevin Walter in his prime performance level?
Old 12-22-2013   #47
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anytime the word "trade' is involved, it is always about what a team is getting back. if somebody is trading a couple of 1sts then uhmm yeah, but if the compensation is 4th with a possible 3rd in 2015 then probably not. And no players are not owed damn thing but their check clearing.
Old 12-22-2013   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Knew this was coming. It's just business.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #49
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I thought I was the only one who could do without Cushing. Totally agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How anyone could see what happened to this team without him last year and this year and can say this is beyond me.

This team is a disaster without our on-field heart and soul. Cushing is the heart and the soul of this team. Yes, even more than JJ Watt. Watt has more impact and is a better player, but Cushing brought the fire and the passion. Dude is a top 5 linebacker when healthy. And he's not injury prone---he was taken out twice on dirty plays.

Brian Cushing should be a Houston Texan for life if he can come back and return to his pre-injury form.

As far as the original thread question, no thanks.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #50
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed. Although you never know what can develop in the off-season. He has an uncle who's been telling him to leave the Texans and join a consistent winning organization for a long time. There are people close to him not afraid to give him the brutal truth, and if he sees himself only having three or four more productive years why shouldn't he chase a Super Bowl ring while he still can?

The past two 12-4 and 10-6 seasons that have resulted in back-to-back wild card wins over the Bengals have helped, but this 2013 season has been a disaster to say the least. Andre Johnson is fed up with all of the losing and playing with mediocre quarterbacks and I don't blame him. If he asks to be traded then we should try and at least get the best deal offered. Which I'm thinking would be a second-round pick and a fourth-round pick. Not all that bad considering his age and great production. Keep in mind that wide receivers, especially his age, don't often bring back the type of value that you would expect.
Old 12-23-2013   #51
craneman
Rookie

He has given so much to this TEAM!!!!$$$$$$GIVEN DOLLARS...OFF HIS Salary
craneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #52
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

if only we had a fat guy with a beard that made stupid jokes and racist comments...

Where could we get on of those guys?

I agree, you don't trade/cut the face of the franchise unless there is absolutely, positively no way to keep him on and even then I still don't let him go.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #53
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneman View Post
He has given so much to this TEAM!!!!$$$$$$GIVEN DOLLARS...OFF HIS Salary
While he has given a lot to this team and organization, he has NOT given any discounts. Re-structuring is not subtracting money from him.

DB's comment sums up my thoughts on this topic. It all depends on what AJ wants. If he wants out, let him out. Odds are, he stuck around this long so I can't see him wanting out now.
Old 12-23-2013   #54
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
The Texans owe nothing to AJ IMO. We pay him a salary. If he didn't like being here, he wouldn't keep resigning with us.
Thank you. Maybe he likes it here, I dunno, but he's remained because more than anything else he likes the money, the deals he's gotten which I think have been 2 additional contracts after his rookie deal.
He's one of my favorites on the team, he's going to the HOF, but he's not staying here for sentimental reasons.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #55
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
How anyone could see what happened to this team without him last year and this year and can say this is beyond me.

This team is a disaster without our on-field heart and soul. Cushing is the heart and the soul of this team. Yes, even more than JJ Watt. Watt has more impact and is a better player, but Cushing brought the fire and the passion. Dude is a top 5 linebacker when healthy. And he's not injury prone---he was taken out twice on dirty plays.

Brian Cushing should be a Houston Texan for life if he can come back and return to his pre-injury form.

As far as the original thread question, no thanks.
As 2lik said in response, it's not that Cushing isn't good; it's that he's unreliable. The team has had to adjust to him not being here so much that we may as well plan on him not being here.

He's still a beast - when he's here. He's been not here more than he has been here, is the point. I'm already wondering what Cushing's injury in 2014 will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #56
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
There are three players on this team that are completely off limits to trades/cuts for whatever reason:

1. JJ Watt
2. Andre Johnson
3. Duane Brown

Everyone else is negotiable. Yes, even Cushing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I thought I was the only one who could do without Cushing. Totally agree with you.
You mean the same Cushing that when out, our defense falls to pieces? They way I see it he is the glue that keeps our defense strong.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #57
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

And no to trading AJ. He will be a key piece to our 2014 team.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #58
edwardc5637
Rookie

Rep Power: 2228 edwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respected

NO NO NO To the *ell NO.
edwardc5637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #59
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
You mean the same Cushing that when out, our defense falls to pieces? They way I see it he is the glue that keeps our defense strong.
I love me some Cush, but our defense was horrid when he was playing this season. Our O gave them no help whatsoever, but we were giving up almost 30 points a game before he went down.

You're correct, he's a vital piece of our defense. I just think teams figured out Wade's 'scheme'. Plus, game planning for JJ equals zero pass rush elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2013   #60
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Yes. The same Cushing that has only played two full seasons out of five.

When you're paying him star player salary, you need star player time. I'm not calling him injury prone because those were horrid injuries but between two knee surgeries and a suspension, he only can say he's played two full seasons.

And for the record, I love me some Cush but by no means is he given a free pass when salary cap problems arise. He gets paid A LOT which means he should be playing A LOT.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read